Ringtones! Turn your iPhone's music into Ringtones

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I found this post over on MMi, and if their site wasn't festering with inline sponsored Ads I'd just tell ya to head there to find out more.

Anyway, Skrew has released a cool application to convert your NON-DRM Songs to Ringtones :)

Its pretty easy to use, and it basically uses the first 30 seconds of whatever song you choose. Or, you can select the starting point in your song, and use the following 30 seconds as your ringtone! :D (new to 2.0)

The install is pretty simple, although you will need make sure you have the following:

- BSD Subsystem
- SUID Lib fix (only if you have 1.1.3/4) !

Add this source on installer to download : http://i.danstaface.net

Note: There is a one time download of a 2.6 meg binary which is part of the program. The author chose to make this a post install file on its own because the author wanted to save himself bandwidth on updates. By making this binary separate, you only ever need to download it once instead of having it download with each update he makes (there were already 3 updates today for example).

Category: Multimedia
Name: Ringtones!

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Yep, works like a charm. You may experience a bit of an issue on your first go, but everything after that is smooth sailing.

Take notice however, that DRM'd songs won't make the switch, only DRM-Free songs can be converted.

fsas06

Silver
Oct 15, 2007
Las Vegas
this doesn't change my music it just makes a "copy" of the song it a ringtone format with out having to do it on the pc ?

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Yeah, it takes a 30 sec clip or so of the song and dumps it into the /Library/Ringtones folder.

Your original file is left untouched.

Feb 27, 2008
ok. I installed it and it seems to have worked. It shows up in the ringtones list but it only previews about five seconds of it so I don't know if it completely worked or if its just going to play the first five seconds over and over. Just have to wait for a call and see.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
ok. I installed it and it seems to have worked. It shows up in the ringtones list but it only previews about five seconds of it so I don't know if it completely worked or if its just going to play the first five seconds over and over. Just have to wait for a call and see.
I did a little reading around and apparently, its a common quirk with the program that your first ringtone may playback incorrectly. Interestingly, every ringtone created after that works fine. The author is trying to track down this bug, but the fact that it works fine after the 1st try leads me to believe hes fine with things as they are. Its taken him quite a bit of work and updates in the passed few days to even get the application to this point.

That said, give it another go by first deleting your ringtone from the ringtones menu in this application, followed by creating a new one. It should work just fine at that point, and if you still run in to problems it may be because the song you're trying to convert is protected with DRM, i.e. its a song you bought from iTunes.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
No go for me. :(

When I try to create a ringtone, it never shows up under the ringtone section. I've tried to make around 20. I'm on 1.1.3.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
No go for me. :(

When I try to create a ringtone, it never shows up under the ringtone section. I've tried to make around 20. I'm on 1.1.3.
Do these songs contain DRM, Digital Rights Management?

In other words, did you buy them from iTunes? If so they will not convert to ringtones unfortunately.

If this is the case, I just burn them to an audio CD and just rerip them since a loss in quality is moot for ringtones.

@ SaltyOnionBalls

Duely noted when you have a desktop available.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I haven't bought a single song through iTunes though.
This is interesting, I guess the next thing to ask is if you have also intalled the BSD Subsystem, as well as the SUID fix that goes along with the BSD Subsystem?

The application does a few terminal commands in the background, and if it's dependencies are not found, the app doesn't appear to alert you of the problem unfortunately.

If you've got those installed and you're still not getting any results, I think the last thing we can try is setting the permissions of your /Library/Ringtones folder to 777.

fsas06

Silver
Oct 15, 2007
Las Vegas
it works greadt for me so far, i have made 2 ringtones

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Good to hear, now we just gotta get Alexander sorted out ;)

Feb 27, 2008
I tried doing more ringtones but its still not working. They all play for about 5 seconds. All the songs were ripped from legally purchased CDs i have the bsd subsystem and the suid fix and tried reinstalling both but still no luck. Someone please help I'm getting sick of marimba

Mcca21

Feb 20, 2008
best app ever found..works fine for me and im on 1.14 with plist changed to 1.13

catsalleyt

Bronze
Jan 26, 2008
Paloma, California
I found this post over on MMi, and if their site wasn't festering with inline sponsored Ads I'd just tell ya to head there to find out more.

Anyway, Skrew has released a cool application to convert your NON-DRM Songs to Ringtones :)

Its pretty easy to use, and it basically uses the first 40 seconds of whatever song you choose.

The install is pretty simple, although you will need make sure you have the following:

- BSD Subsystem
- SUID Lib fix (only if you have 1.1.3/4) !

Add this source on installer to download : http://i.danstaface.net

Note: There is a one time download of a 2.6 meg binary which is part of the program. The author chose to make this a post install file on its own because the author wanted to save himself bandwidth on updates. By making this binary separate, you only ever need to download it once instead of having it download with each update he makes (there were already 3 updates today for example).

Category: Multimedia
Name: Ringtones!
Wow
This is a great app! Always wanted something like this.

Feb 27, 2008
has anyone figured this out yet? This app would easily be my favorite if it worked completely