RIP 3G?

Hookem99

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
Deep in the heart of Texas
Last night I dropped my phone. It will still connect to iTunes and iphoto with no problems, but I have a blank white screen. I have done soft reboots and a restore, to no avail. I assume that there is an issue with the graphics chip caused by the drop. Anyone know of any fixes, or is it RIP iPhone 3g?

Oct 6, 2007
Waukesha WI
That does not sound good at all. I would just take it to an Apple store and see what they say.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
If there are no visible signs of abuse, they'll replace it. Which reminds me, the warranties on the 3G models purchased on release day last year (without Apple Care) expire today.

vrsc

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
Orlando, Fl
Last night I dropped my phone. It will still connect to iTunes and iphoto with no problems, but I have a blank white screen. I have done soft reboots and a restore, to no avail. I assume that there is an issue with the graphics chip caused by the drop. Anyone know of any fixes, or is it RIP iPhone 3g?
been there, done that! Its the LCD

macscac

Bronze
Jun 17, 2009
if they wont replace it via warranty, its probably not too bad too pick up a new one on ebay and replace it yourself.
i had to replace the lcd on my blackberry bold a few months back.
it cost 90 bucks and was a piece of cake to swap out

Hookem99

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
I need to get down to the Apple store tomorrow and see what they say. I am eligible to upgrade to the 3gs, but im not thrilled about renewing my AT&T contract yet. Ill make an appt. for tomorrow and see what they tell me.

Oct 6, 2007
Waukesha WI
I need to get down to the Apple store tomorrow and see what they say. I am eligible to upgrade to the 3gs, but im not thrilled about renewing my AT&T contract yet. Ill make an appt. for tomorrow and see what they tell me.
Good luck!

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
Whatever you do don't tell them you dropped it
Tell them you were texting and the screen just went white
if you tell them you dropped it they wont fix it
This is a problem with the chip not the screen it happened to mine as well
i ended up selling it on craigslist for 150 after getting it diagnosed outside of Apple as a broken motherboard chip

Hookem99

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
Thanks everyone for all the help and advice! I just got back from the Apple store. I said nothing, other than the screen was white. She did not ask any questions. She told me the display was bad and replaced it under warranty. No problems! All is working great! Whew!

Oct 6, 2007
Waukesha WI
Thanks everyone for all the help and advice! I just got back from the Apple store. I said nothing, other than the screen was white. She did not ask any questions. She told me the display was bad and replaced it under warranty. No problems! All is working great! Whew!
Awsome! It doesn't get any better than that!

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
yeah i tried that but since i had water damage it voided the warranty and they wouldn't fix it
the annoying thing is that it wasn't the water damage that made my screen white
but a rain drop probably landed in there one day or something a long time ago and voided the warranty
very convient for Apple to place the sensors in the headphone jack .. very clever

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
I had a burnt out pixel on the 3G that I bought on launch-day last year. I decided to take it in to the Apple Store for replacement prior to the expiration of my warranty. The genius used a mini LED flashlight and immediately told me my warranty was voided because of water damage. I told him I was aware of the watermarks on the phone and how, for that very reason, I had been extremely careful to avoid getting it anywhere near water. After 10 minutes of begging and pleading with him and highlighting every Apple purchase I've made over the years, he finally gave in. I walked out with a new phone that was manufactured on 06/25/09! The new phone is much more responsive than my original since it was produced long after the original 3G antenna issues. I'm thrilled because I've now got a brand new battery and components that have been upgraded since the original release.

FrankieG889D

Bronze
Mar 23, 2009
yeah, is there any way you can tell you have "water damage" other than bringing it to the Apple store because you purposely dropped your iPhone to make use of the warranty?

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
yeah, is there any way you can tell you have "water damage" other than bringing it to the Apple store because you purposely dropped your iPhone to make use of the warranty?
You can shine a flashlight into the usb port and the earphone port and inspect it yourself.