Rip audio from DVD?

snowgirl

Nov 25, 2007
I have a music dvd that i would like to get the audio tracks from so i can burn it to a cd and listen to it in the car...I tried audio hi hack last night, and it was working great until they "added sound" as it was a free trial. Im looking for freeware because im pretty sure that this will be the one and only time i do this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,
katie

EDIT- I forgot to add that this is ALREADY an Mp4 file on my computer...i ripped it using handbrake. Thanks again for any help!

snowgirl

Nov 25, 2007
Thanks Eragon, that link has been really helpful...im using OSEx as we speak to try and get the audio files....now my next question...It looks like this is going to be a MASSIVE audio file something like 7.50 gb...can i compress it without losing quality, and any suggestions on a program for that? thanks again!

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Thanks Eragon, that link has been really helpful...im using OSEx as we speak to try and get the audio files....now my next question...It looks like this is going to be a MASSIVE audio file something like 7.50 gb...can i compress it without losing quality, and any suggestions on a program for that? thanks again!
You must be including the video as well as the audio in your rip. I've taken the following quote from the link I provided you earlier:

"To demux/extract only the audio with OSex, splitting the audio in one file per chapter (usually equivalent to a song for music videos):

1. After starting OSex and inserting your music video DVD, make sure the correct title is selected by clicking on the 'Ti' button.
  2. Click on the 'video' button an deselect the video stream(s).
  3. Click on the 'Aud' button and select the appropriate audio stream (usually 2 channel AC3).
  4. Click on the 'Fmt' button and select 'Elem. streams'.
  5. Click on the 'Seg' button and select 'Chapter' to split the audio by track in separate files.
  6. Click 'BEGIN' to start audio axtraction.
(Much easier done than described... )

The resulting AC3 files can then be converted to AIFF, WAV, MP3 or other formats with a tool like mAC3dec, or played directly with e.g. VLC."

Here is the link for mAC3DEC:

If your DVD source has an AC3 soundtrack then try mAC3DEC I haven't used it personally but it looks like it does the sort of thing that you want it to do. (And it's free). Most DVD sound tracks (at least the ones I own) come in AC3 format, so you might want to include that in your search if you find that mAC3DEC isn't for you. Hope this helps!"

Last edited by a moderator: