Risk buying iPhone after update? In Costa Rica

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

billznik

Oct 9, 2007
I'm in Costa Rica and have a friend in the states that can buy an iPhone for me. I know that the recent update bricked a lot of phones but I'm seeing rumors that progress is being made to unlock the phone again. Should I go ahead and buy the phone, but not update the firmware and risk it? Do you think there's a strong chance the phone will "brick." And if it does brick is there any way to reset it to factory settings? Thanks.

domi

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Texas
I'm in Costa Rica and have a friend in the states that can buy an iPhone for me. I know that the recent update bricked a lot of phones but I'm seeing rumors that progress is being made to unlock the phone again. Should I go ahead and buy the phone, but not update the firmware and risk it? Do you think there's a strong chance the phone will "brick." And if it does brick is there any way to reset it to factory settings? Thanks.

all the new iPhones are coming out with 1.1.1 update. so if your friends buys you one, you wont be albe to unlock it because the firmwire will be the new one. as far as the dev teams progress they have been able to run a jailbreak on the phone but they say it will still be a good wait while they produce a jailbreak for public use.

billznik

Oct 9, 2007
This could be my only chance in awhile to obtain the phone since I'm out of the states. Do you think it's a bad idea to buy it and wait until they unlock it again?

domi

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Texas
This could be my only chance in awhile to obtain the phone since I'm out of the states. Do you think it's a bad idea to buy it and wait until they unlock it again?
honestly i wouldn't be sure what to tell as far as you making your choice to buy it or not. but i will tell you this. the phone is badass. i had mine since it came out in June and i still have not gotten bored of it. i think its a great investment. i use it any chance i get.:laugh2:

billznik

Oct 9, 2007
Thanks for making me more jealous! lol So should I buy it? The money isn't all that big of a deal, but I don't want to buy it and not be able to use it for months while they hack it, what do you guys think?

domi

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Texas
Thanks for making me more jealous! lol So should I buy it? The money isn't all that big of a deal, but I don't want to buy it and not be able to use it for months while they hack it, what do you guys think?

i would say wait about 2 weeks or so and see what progess the dev team has made. if they have jailbreaked it by that point then hell yes go for it. in any event though i would buy it. it would just seem like an eternity waiting for them to hack it. i know i would be pissed cause i can tend to be impatient at times

paulomb

Bronze
Oct 1, 2007
Monterrey, MX
im from Mexico, currently on a trip in the USA, bought 2 iPhones yesterday at an AT&T store, still with the old firmware YEEEEIIII!

mi recommendation, buy it, if you are lucky, you are gonna get the old version still. if you get the new version, it is just a matter of weeks to jailbrake and unlock the phone =)

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Ahh, that is why. I live in LA and all the Apple stores have sold out of the 1.0.2 firmware iPhones. There might be some lurking around at an AT&T store somewhere, but that would involve driving around too much.

paulomb

Bronze
Oct 1, 2007
Monterrey, MX
Ahh, that is why. I live in LA and all the Apple stores have sold out of the 1.0.2 firmware iPhones. There might be some lurking around at an AT&T store somewhere, but that would involve driving around too much.

yes, i was about to go to the Apple Store, but i tought i had a better chance going to an AT&T store since they don't restock as often as Apple stores. the first store i got to, was the store where i found the old serial numbers (meaning old firmwares) GOOOOOD!

g33k1

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
San Antonio Tx
Man I love Costa Rica, I have wanted to go back since I went in 2003. What part do you live in? I went to San Jose for a couple days but stayed in Tamarindo most of the time

lowsparkco

Nov 9, 2008
I just brought a 16g 3G phone back from Peru because they don't require a contract to sell the phone. I got in touch with a guy here in San Jose who had a "piggyback" chip. This is one of the ones where you have to cut your ICE SIM card to make it work. Everything works fine other than you can't access iTunes which is ironic because the only thing you can't do is listen to music. The phone works great on the ICE network though. Word on the street is to try and get one from Europe because they aren't locked. If you're going to bring one from the States then get the piggyback chip too, they're a lot cheaper up north. Good luck.