Risking my body for my iPhone

Rumdada

Sep 23, 2007
Well i had walking down my steps with iPhone in hand and slipped on a random shoe. I didn't have my case on my phone so as i was airborne i decided to hold on to my phone with 2 hands instead of breaking my fall now i have a bruised tail bone and scraped up arm lol but im proud of myself because i saved the phone lmao

DocHolliday

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
Bruised tailbones are VERY hard to heal. Pain or soreness can last for a long period of time, if not for the rest of your life when you're sitting for a bit.

I think you might want to draw a line at some point between the rest of your life and a piece of metal and plastic that is worth no more than 400 at best at the moment. How much is sitting comfortably and your tailbone worth to you?

Rumdada

Sep 23, 2007
Ok Mr doctor guy im 17 lol ill be ok in a day or 2 its not like im an old man n not gonna heal fast
Bruised tailbones are VERY hard to heal. Pain or soreness can last for a long period of time, if not for the rest of your life when you're sitting for a bit.

I think you might want to draw a line at some point between the rest of your life and a piece of metal and plastic that is worth no more than 400 at best at the moment. How much is sitting comfortably and your tailbone worth to you?

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Well i had walking down my steps with iPhone in hand and slipped on a random shoe. I didn't have my case on my phone so as i was airborne i decided to hold on to my phone with 2 hands instead of breaking my fall now i have a bruised tail bone and scraped up arm lol but im proud of myself because i saved the phone lmao
Good job on saving the phone. I'm sorry you bruised your tailbone-that hurts real bad. I fell down a while ago and it took a while until it felt better. But it healed fine and I am now without pain.:)

Was it your shoe you tripped on? If it was someone else's I'd be really pissed!

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
A buddy of mine did a similar thing years ago. He was mullered after a few of us had been to a Beer Festival and was getting out of the back seat of car with a pizza box (it was a large I think and with all the trimmings, but still worth considerably less than an iPhone), and he got a little caught on the seatbelt as he was exiting. So he protected the pizza box instead of himself and pretty much faceplanted the sidewalk. I don't think he sat comfortably for years afterwards, at least not when any of us who witnessed it were around him :)

Jun 29, 2007
All i can say is, WOW!

markr

Jul 13, 2007
Actually, the problem was that he HAD a grip. These things have been dropped from 6 stories and still functioned. Try THAT with your coccyx! :eek:

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Hilarious. Had you decided long before falling what you would do in that situation or did you make a quick decision right when you started falling?

DocHolliday

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
Ok Mr doctor guy im 17 lol ill be ok in a day or 2 its not like im an old man n not gonna heal fast
Age has nothing to do with long lasting damage to a body part. You will heal fast now, but it just might creep up on you in your late 20's to 30.

I just turned 30. Hurt my knees at 12 years old, found out recently worse than I thought. Just in the last few years have I been feeling the effects.

And as another user said...get a grip..it's replaceable. Not worth sacrificing your body.

Vader

Sep 18, 2007
Good save, I would have done the same. If the injury is that bad, at least you'll be on a wheel chair with your iPhone, then on 2 feet slapping yourself for having a now broken iPhone.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
?
I broke my tailbone skiing in 1963. I was very young and none of you were born. It still hurts now if I sit too long, like on a long flight. Don't want to scare you. It's a lot easier to tolerate it with a 17-inch MacBook Pro for entertainment on my lap on the said flight than with a grey, boring, ugly, nauseating Dell laptop.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I also broke my tail bone about 15 years ago when I was very young. (I went airborne on a quad and held on but came down hard). To this day I still cannot sit at the movies or for long periods of time. It could have been worse if I would have let go of the quad, I would have flown off. But if I would have had my iPhone, I would have held on to it too!

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
Let's be realistic, people...It wasn't like it happens in the movies where you can slow down or freeze frame time and mull the issue: "Hmmm... iPhone or iBone...I wonder which would hurt more to break...?" The man took a spill but saved himself $399 and change. By the time he's old enough to regret it, Apple would be out with iExoskeleton...complete with a dock for the iPhone.

Waveguy

Bronze
Aug 18, 2007
I broke my tailbone skiing in 1963. I was very young and none of you were born. It still hurts now if I sit too long, like on a long flight. Don't want to scare you. It's a lot easier to tolerate it with a 17-inch MacBook Pro for entertainment on my lap on the said flight than with a grey, boring, ugly, nauseating Dell laptop.
Hah... I was a pre-teen in 1963. :laugh2:

You're right about coccygeal injuries being hard to heal. But it's often impossible to make the right call when you have only a split second to decide what to do when you're about to fall.

I've gotten really careful about handling my iPhone lately, especially around toilets. A few times, the phone has almost slipped out of my shirt pocket when I bent over.