Roaming Cost to London- My Experience

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Aug 21, 2007
ok- so after all the horror stories around roaming charges I thought I'd clarify my experience.
1- I did a little research so turned off the mail check function.
2- Phoned AT&T who tried to offer me the international package which will discount my receiving/making calls but declined as I wasn't planning on making a lot of calls. They also turned on international roaming. They did NOT offer me the data package and that was disappointing.

So the actual trip- flew out friday night and flew back on tuesday so a quick 3 day jaunt.
12 minutes call roaming used = $15.50
57 text messages sent = $28.50
931kb data used = $18.14

I was a bit shocked at first at the $60 but i do remember texting a lot when i was there as it was cheaper than calling.

After some of the horror stories I was actually kind of relieved to only get a $200 phone bill....is this how bad things have become!

Anyway- hope that helps some fellow forum members. I am thinking about disabling data on my next trip though!

Stoldit

Bronze
Aug 17, 2007
ok- so after all the horror stories around roaming charges I thought I'd clarify my experience.
1- I did a little research so turned off the mail check function.
2- Phoned AT&T who tried to offer me the international package which will discount my receiving/making calls but declined as I wasn't planning on making a lot of calls. They also turned on international roaming. They did NOT offer me the data package and that was disappointing.

So the actual trip- flew out friday night and flew back on tuesday so a quick 3 day jaunt.
12 minutes call roaming used = $15.50
57 text messages sent = $28.50
931kb data used = $18.14

I was a bit shocked at first at the $60 but i do remember texting a lot when i was there as it was cheaper than calling.

After some of the horror stories I was actually kind of relieved to only get a $200 phone bill....is this how bad things have become!

Anyway- hope that helps some fellow forum members. I am thinking about disabling data on my next trip though!
Unlock t and get a sim from overseas.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
I will disable the data the next time I leave the country as well. I wish the phone actually had this option rather then having to call ATT and work through it. I did a trip that started in Vancouver, there I did 3 data "transactions" and that added 68$ to my monthly bill. I won't have that happen again.

iRon

Aug 8, 2007
NorCal
I'm in France right now, one week into a 2.5 week vacation that includes France, Switzerland, and Italy. Before I left, I did opt for the international calling plan. Even with conservative phone use intended, I knew I'd use it enough to make it worthwhile. So far that has proven correct. Too many "short" calls have turned 10-20 minutes each. It will be an expensive bill.

What may save me from a bill that would cause a heart attack, I also had them disable the data package. So I can only use wifi for Internet which has worked fine. I'm a wifi searcher now, but I've been more than able to stay connected with email and Internet completely free. I still get texts and use the phone normally. I just don't have visual voicemail or edge.

Another thing... Selecting different foreign networks is as easy as switching between available wifi networks. Cellular coverage has been fine, even in the deep valleys of the alps, where I'm at now.

I'll post more when the bill comes and I kick myself for talking so often.