roaming with iPhone

hirschhs

Apr 26, 2009
Bucks UK
new to iPhone (3g 8gb), living in the UK, O2 businesss contract but currently away in Germany without access to my contract info.
Is it likely that I'm being charged massive amounts to get my email pushed and/or access the net while I'm away? If so can I turn off gprs? If so where?! Many thanks in advance... :laugh2:
steve

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Yes, you are probably racking up a lot in data roaming charges while in Germany. Do you have access to a computer to log in and check your account, or does O2 let you use short codes to receive text messages with your account info (e.g., entering *646# in the US on AT&T will send me a message with my minutes & text usage)?

If you haven't already, I'd suggest you go to your iPhone's Settings to General/Network and set Data Roaming to off. Also, change settings for your email accounts from push to fetch so nothing slips through. This should help cut down on your roaming data use.

P.S. I moved this thread to the International Carrier forum.

hirschhs

Apr 26, 2009
Bucks UK
thanks a lot, very helpful. I've been here a week and have another week to go so you've helped me save quite a lot I think!
cheers
s