Rob's 1K Reveal

Discussion in '1k Member Reveals' started by bballrob, Jan 19, 2014.

1. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Well, I've reached a point that at times I wondered if would ever come to, and many of you may have hoped would never come, but here I am, having reached 1K posts at everythingiCafe. I noticed as I got to the mid-900 range, and at that time I was posting somewhat regularly, but then went AWOL for a bit, and didn't have much reason to come around, so my posts were a little more sporadic, and I didn't even realize I was past 1,000 until I went to open a new thread this morning. But I digress. On with the story.

My name is Rob, and I'm a gadget geek. I used to be one that hated Apple products. When I was first married, back in the early 90s, I used to give my wife's boss a bad time about having their office on Macintosh computers telling her how totally worthless they were. I entered the world of Apple on the iPhone 3GS. I haven't looked back since. I purchased the 1st and 2nd iPads, and 2 years ago switched from a Toshiba laptop to a Mac Book Pro. Christmas 2012 saw the introduction of a Mac Mini into our house as our main desktop computer, making the conversion to Apple in our household complete. I still have my MBP, an iPhone 5S, and the iPad Mini with Retina. Kids have several iPods, college daughter an MBP(and my iPad 2), and we still have that original iPad.

I was born and raised in Alaska, and I'm still here. I've only lived outside of Alaska for a little over 3.5 years in my life, but I travel out somewhat regularly for businesss, and the occasional vacation. April of 2013 saw me hit 20 years of marriage to the woman of my dreams. I couldn't ask for a better wife. We have been truly blessed with 8 wonderful children of our own, after we both grew up in families with 8 children. I was the 3rd of 8 kids in my family, and my wife was the 7th of 8 in hers.

I earned a Bachelor's degree in Accounting and I am a Certified Public Accountant in the State of Alaska. I currently work for a local government. I several years right after college in a small, remote part of Alaska only accessible by plane really. You could get there by boat too if you really needed to, but there are no roads in or out. That was quite the interesting experience.

I'm a sports fanatic. There's not much sports related that I don't have some interest in. I just started golfing in the summer of 2013 when 2 of my kids signed up for a week long golf clinic. I had had my own set of clubs, however, for 2 years. My brother picked up a set of left handed clubs at an estate sale for $20 and decided he was going to learn to play. I told him if he changed his mind, I'd take those clubs off his hands. After they sat in his garage for 2 years, he sold them to me at cost. It's been fun.

I have been a high school basketball referee for 16 years. I got involved with a church league initially, and moved on up from there. I have had the opportunity to see more of Alaska through my refereeing, and selected to officiate 2 state championship games over the years. Those were a blast!

Several years ago, I took up running to lose weight. My body mass had reached the high 270s on the scale, and I had no desire to hit 280. So I went out and bought a treadmill in January of that year. I was pretty let down when I got the thing home, and saw on the box that it wasn't designed to hold more than 250 lbs. Decided I would ignore that instruction, and get to 250 ASAP. Slow and steady did it, and 14 months later I was all the way down to 200. I decided that the only way I could keep myself motivated to run was to set a goal to run a marathon. And that I did. Summer of 2010 was my first marathon. Fall of 2010 was my next one. I haven't run any Marathons since then, but am signed up for another one in June 2014. One year my marathon plan was thwarted by a torn calf muscle, my worst running injury to date. I have run several shorter races since, including some half marathons, and even a couple of triathlons. The most adventurous triathlon I participated was the 2012 Pumpkinman Triathlon in Boulder City, NV, just south of Las Vegas. After training in swimming pools in Alaska, swimming in a race environment in Lake Mead was one of the toughest things I've ever done. But I survived it. I joined a little club on FaceBook called the Idiot's Running Club last year and just acquired some matching license plates for my truck. And I bike year round to work, even in the snow and sub-zero temperatures. Its only a half-mile commute.

I love the outdoors -- camping, fishing, hiking, etc. I think that is why I stay in Alaska. I love it here. I've thought about leaving a time or two, but never seriously. When I think of leaving Alaska, I think about going to Vermont. Don't know why. Never been there. No connections there of any kind. That's just the place I think of going when I think about leaving Alaska, but those thoughts are few and far between.

So, that's a little about me. I'm always open to questions as well.

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Really nice 1K reveal.

3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I still say you have a gift for writing. Nice job.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Thanks.

I spent 10 years working for a CPA Firm that had 6 different partners. Most of the jobs I worked on were all under the same partner at any given time. I once had occasion to do a single job for a partner I hadn't worked for previously. Most of the reports we issued were pretty much "canned" reports. However, this particular job required a bunch of free writing as it had to do with explaining audit results after examining records and sales tax payments to the city from many local businessses. When the report was reviewed by the partner in charge of the engagement, he said he wished I could write all the reports on these types of jobs.

Also, my high school sophomore english teacher told me that I was a really good writer, when I applied myself.

#4 bballrob, Jan 19, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I know how that goes. Every English and literature teacher I ever had always told me, "So, you're going to be a journalist, right?"

Wrong. Professional trumpet player.

6. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Nice reveal!
    Spent a few years in Glacier Bay as a kid. Fantastic place for a city kid to get primitive....

7. glsda

glsda Zealot
    Gold

Rob, nice reveal.