Rockin' the MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Syamil, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Syamil

Syamil Member
    Bronze

Hey forum, some of you may had seen my earlier thread of 'Windows user switching to Mac', which I think is somewhere below.

I bought an Intel i7 13"MBP, and upgraded the ram to 8GB. Sadly though, it has dual boot with Windows 7 Enterprise in it, as my college's systems only can work Windows only. I've been having a relatively busy week, and almost have no time exploring the Mac OS X.

The MBP simply is too beautiful to
    be described by mere words. U can say I'm a very excited new user as I bought so many stuff to protect my MacBook.

I wish to know what MacBook cooling pads are available and any recommendations?
    I notice my MBP gets hot if it is not operating in an air-conditioned room.Or maybe I'm too paranoid?

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Congratulations! Great to hear that it's working well for you.

They do get hot. That's not uncommon at all. I'm not so sure cooling pads actually affect the computer in any positive fashion. If you get one, it's only to prevent your lap from getting scorched.:D

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

By the way, iStat will monitor the temperature of your MacBook Pro. If it's not shutting down, it's fine.

#3 chris, Apr 19, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  4. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

Second the recommendation for iStat. When your system gets too warm, you'll hear the fan kick in. iStat also monitors the fan speed & other load stats. I use a small lapdesk for my MBP at times. It will be less likely to really heat up on battery alone vs plugged in and under heavy load.
    YMMV

Any impatience you show will only create more stress.

5. aknightstale41

Gold

I posted this in the MacBook section about a week ago, it seems fitting here though:

A program that lets you control your internal fan speed in your Mac. My Macbook runs hot many times when i do some video capture so this just what i need, you control the fan from the stock start speed of 2000 rpm all the way to 6000 rpm, it never runs hot now :), ...and its free.
    http://www.eidac.de/

6. Syamil

Syamil Member
    Bronze

In the long run, your fan will wear out faster. But your tip is actually useful for certain periods that require the Mac's full capacity. Thanks!

7. Syamil

Syamil Member
    Bronze

It seems from my research on Google, any simple object that elevates and angles like a cooling pad, that's also big enough to hold my MacBook will help bring a few degrees down. Im still deciding to buy a newer cooling pad as my current one is quite small, but enough for me at the moment.

Thanks Chris, for the iStat app. I'll download that as soon as I'm home.

8. Syamil

Syamil Member
    Bronze

True that, I rarely plug in my MacBook unless the battery needs charging. One slight disadvantage the MacBook has is the unremovable battery. I find that batteries usually add to the weight of the laptop and also creates heat.

9. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Enjoy! The MBP is the best laptop I've ever used. Having an i7 will definitely make your life easier :)

10. aknightstale41

Gold

True, i do expect a somewhat shortened fan life, but replacement couldn't be easier, a pin connector and 3 torx screws.