Roku 3

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by raqball, Mar 19, 2013.

1. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Anyone planning on getting the Roku 3?

I am kicking the idea around. I might sell my Roku 2 and get the 3..

It looks interesting and the GUI looks to be MUCH improved.

2. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Well I got one last week...

It's pretty sweet and I will be writing a comparison in the next week or so..

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I have 3 of XS, so won't be jumping on the Roku 3. If it can stream 24GB MKV files, I might change my position.

Apparently we get the updated interface later this month. That I'm looking forward to, but would really like updates to the apps themselves. The Netflix app is in bad need of a makover. I'll say this, it's fast, but the ATV interface is better. Having a kid, I like Just For Kids option and searching for shows by character.

4. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

The Roku 3 is pretty nice but I wont be keeping it..

The new GUI is much, much better than the previous version and the menu system is a lot easier to navigate. Every thing loads instantly including the channel store. It's a really nice media streaming device.

The absolute killer feature is the remote control with integrated headphone jack. It works great and the sound is pretty darn good.

The actual channels have not been updated to reflect the new GUI though and thats a bummer. Every channel I tried was still stuck using the old GUI. Maybe in time the channels will be updated but for now the new GUI is only accessible from the main screen..

The Roku 3 is a LOT faster and snappier. It also weighs a little more which helps keep it in place when the HDMI and other cables are connected..

The good:
    • The new GUI is pretty sweet
    • It's fast and snappy
    • More weight to keep the box in place
    • The remote with integrated headphone jack
    • Integrated search feature that searches all channels for a movie or TV show
    The bad:
    • Channels have not been updated with new GUI
    • The home screen area has an ad that uses about 30% of the home screen space
    • No youtube (there are workarounds)
    • HDMI only connection
    • No AirPlay
    • No iTunes
    Overall this is a pretty sweet little streaming device. Is it better than the Apple TV? Well that depends on each intended persons use.

If you are a heavy iTunes user or if you Airplay a lot of video from another iDevice then the Roku 3 is not for you. If you don't do either of these then the Roku 3 is the better choice because it offers so many channel options in the channel store.

In my use I found most of the channels to work well even with the old GUI. The exception is the NHL channel. This channel is slow, clunky and an absolute nightmare to use. If you are an NHL fan and want to use the device to stream live games then go with the Apple TV..

I'd say the Roku 3 is a serious contender / threat to the Apple TV. It's biggest and killer feature is the headphone jack on the remote. It works flawlessly and the sound is pretty darn good!

I am returning the Roku 3 but only because I purchased a Mac mini to take the place of it and my Apple TV.

If you are in the market for a media streaming player the Roku 3 deserves a serious look!

My .02

5. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Great write-up. A number of the reviews I've read failed to talk about the GUI of the apps. I spend my time split between Netflix and Amazon Instant. I suppose I might use the new search when seeking a movie to rent. Does it offer comparison price shopping. For example, I have Vudu and Amazon Instant installed. It would cool to search for a movie and see how much it cost from the various sources.

Mac mini HTPC. Rock on!

6. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Yes I forgot to mention the search feature on the Roku 3.. I will edit my post because it is also a killer feature.

If you search for a movie or show it will pull it up on every service / channel and show you the options for viewing. It will also list the prices if any and if it's a TV show it will list the number of episodes available on each service / channel..

Kind of like this:

Name of show here
    Nexlix 28 episodes
    Hulu Plus 19 espisodes
    Amazon 28 episodes

Name of movie here
    Netflix
    Amazon
    Vudu $1.99 rent $9.99 purchase

I have already unplugged the Roku but I can set it back up and get the specifics on the search feature if you want but what I listed above is pretty close to what it displays

7. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I am getting ready to box this up and mail it back in the next few days. If anyone has questions or wants photos of the unit or GUI ask quickly before I mail it back.