Rollback iTunes 9 to iTunes 8.2.1.6?

SpongebObiWan

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
I think this must be possible to do, rollback iTunes 9 to iTunes 8.2.1.6, but I can't recall ever reading about somebody successfuly rolling back their currently installed version of iTunes to the previous version. I want to get rid of iTunes 9, and re-install version 8.2.1.6. How would I go about doing that, AND, where would I even find the previous version of iTunes at now?

Any takers?

EDIT: P.S. I'm on a MAC

nagyg

Bronze
Aug 2, 2009
I had to do the same thing: go to http://www.oldapps.com/iTunes.php and download it. When you want to run it 'though it will give you an error about the library having been created by a newer version. I copied the "My Music" folder from my system backup and now everything is back where it was ....

SpongebObiWan

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
I had to do the same thing: go to http://www.oldapps.com/iTunes.php and download it. When you want to run it 'though it will give you an error about the library having been created by a newer version. I copied the "My Music" folder from my system backup and now everything is back where it was ....
I received the same error message as you did about "the library having been created by a newer version", after I uninstalled iTunes 9 and installed iTunes 8.2.1.6. Unfortunately, I do not have a system backup from which to use to copy the "My Music" folder with. So I'd guess I am SOL on this one.

Thanks for your input.

Jukinju

Nov 26, 2009
OK everyone. I have the answer. iTunes 9 doesn't have the function of buying all.

You'll need to go back to the previous iTunes 8. I downloaded mine from here.

ww.mydigitallife.info/2009/06/28/apple-itunes-8-2-and-quicktime-7-6-2-direct-download-links/

Then it will say your library is not able to be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes.

Just go to the folder "previous iTunes libraries" pick the latest one from before you upgraded. and rename it to "iTunes libraries.itl" replace the file with the same name in iTunes 9 with this one and you'll get your shopping cart back.

Personally I convert every iTunes song to mp3 with a media converter to avoid losing songs if iTunes ever does something stupid like this.

Hope that helps

SORRY DIDN'T SEE YOUR EDIT ABOUT MAC THIS WAS FOR PC