ROMs will be the death of me!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Vpeach

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I've been reading so many threads concerning the NES Emulator and I have seen many people asking about how to install ROMs.

I figured out how to get the Emulator on the phone with no problems. But now getting ROMs on there is another story. I thought I installed them correctly on SCP. I made new directories in iPhoneinterface. (mkdir var/root/Media/ROMs/NES but when I click on the NES icon on my homescreen it comes up blank..then it freezes and switches back to homescreen on it's on)
Am I suppose to type in NES.app instead of NES?

I've tried using Manzanaa and I've tried SCP and I've tried IBrickr. I am just utterly lost!

And don't even get me start with binkit...omg! that just made my head hurt.

So if somebody has a few moments to spare, can you please help me. I'm pretty sure you are all getting sick of the ROMs questions...so I apologize.

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
you have to set permissions. Go into SCP and locate the NES.app folder (in Applications) and right click on it. Change permissions to 0777. Then go in that foldder and change all files to 0777 (by right clicking and hitting properties) Then go do the same thing for the ROMs, NES, folders and all the roms inside.

Vpeach

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I set mine to 0755. You need to set EACH rom the same way you set the actually NES emulator.
thanks guys! I won't be able to try this til I am able to get within a strong wifi signal. It sucks that SCP times out with the weak signal I get at my office.

But I will try your suggestions!

up10ad

Genius
Gold
Aug 1, 2007
Fruita , CO
up10ad.com
I used ibrickr to do my entire mod and it worked perfectly even after the .2 update. I then downloaded pxl files (applications) from the link at ibrickr and the only issue I had was they saved as .zip files and I had to rename them to .pxl. After renaming I used ibrickr to install the application NES (and a few others). I used ibrickr to create the last two file locations in var/root/Media/ROMs/NES. Then I used ibrickr to add the ROM files to the NES folder. No changes to the permissions were required. Works great! :cool:

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I used ibrickr to do my entire mod and it worked perfectly even after the .2 update. I then downloaded pxl files (applications) from the link at ibrickr and the only issue I had was they saved as .zip files and I had to rename them to .pxl. After renaming I used ibrickr to install the application NES (and a few others). I used ibrickr to create the last two file locations in var/root/Media/ROMs/NES. Then I used ibrickr to add the ROM files to the NES folder. No changes to the permissions were required. Works great! :cool:
I can confirm this method, it's really easy and it works every time.

I just used iBrickr to jailbreak, then installed my NES roms in their proper location, followed by installing the PXL of Installer.app. From there I used Installer.app to actually put stuff on my iPhone. This way I don't have to mess with permissions or WinSCP ;)

Vpeach

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007

So I have to physically go into the NES.app file and add .pxl at the end of NES? Because right now it just says NES.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
So I have to physically go into the NES.app file and add .pxl at the end of NES? Because right now it just says NES.
Whoa there, Miss... step away from the iPhone!

Do NOT rename NES to NES.pxl. You shouldn't even be looking in the NES.app folder regarding ROMs. As mentioned, they go into:
var/root/Media/ROMs/NES

And rom files end in .nes. If you download a ROM and it is zipped unzip it. The ROM file contained within the zip should end in .nes.

See the reply I posted to this thread for how to do this in iBrickr:
http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/help-with-nes.8166/

--
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

Vpeach

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Ibrickr tutorial video

I am such a ditz. That video on the ibrickr site helped me figure it out...lol

Thanks so much for the input guys! You all rock!

Now my new problem is getting sound to work.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona

Vpeach

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Is there any way to retitle the Roms? I don't like having titles that look like this "smb3" or even "TETRIS".