Rooms - IRC client for iPhone

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I just discovered "Rooms" on the AppStore, the first IRC client for iPhone (or at least for stock ones.) I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but it looks promising. You can buy it from the AppStore for $2.99 here.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I have it but haven't used it to much, but it works like a charm. My only wish is that it could sound an alert when there's activity in the room you're in - I swear I have ADD and put my iPhone down to do something else and then miss what's going on, and an alert of some sort would be nice.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
$2.99? I coulda sworn I pad .99 for it when I got it weeks ago. Must be getting popular, being the only real viable 2.x IRC option, jailbroken or not.

Not being able to skip out and surf while waiting for replies really sucks though. That is what a real IRC client needs... background monitoring with audible alerts. Maybe with push notification this will be possible through the SDK.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
$2.99? I coulda sworn I pad .99 for it when I got it weeks ago. Must be getting popular, being the only real viable 2.x IRC option, jailbroken or not.

Not being able to skip out and surf while waiting for replies really sucks though. That is what a real IRC client needs... background monitoring with audible alerts. Maybe with push notification this will be possible through the SDK.

I doubt it, unless there is some special server written to glue it all together. Won't work with standard IRC servers/client.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I doubt it, unless there is some special server written to glue it all together. Won't work with standard IRC servers/client.
I was throwing a bone at the appstore. I'm really just waiting for ColloQ :p

scott99

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Great Neck, NYC
How does this thing work ? I haven't chat in an IRC chat room in years. What do you have to enter to go to a chatroom ? Sorry if I seem like a newbie, lol.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Can I use this to get into the EIC chatroom? If yes, I will buy. Thanks.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I really like this app. It is so easy to use. Need to follow these steps, though, to set it up from the main thread - http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/eic-irc-come-join-us-in-the-chat-room.25495/

Host name: irc.esper.net
Port: 6667
Uses SSL: off
Nickname: (choose your mobile nick.)
Password: (only applies if you use Nickserv... another FAQ)
Alternates: pick an alternate nickname in case you get disconnected (which happens often on mobile)... you will reconnect with this name until your "ghost" drops from the system.
"connect at launch": on
"join rooms": #eic

Last edited by a moderator:

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Thanks guys. I am buying all kinds of silly things in the app store this evening. I will add this one to the bill, too! :laugh2:

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
awesome. i'll look out for you.
yeah. we'll see if I can follow Larry's instructions to set it up!

I am syncing now and then I will likely go to bed. Although I could pop in chat on the Macbook I am using...