• Squared

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

47seijar

Zealot
Bronze
Oct 6, 2012
Denville, NJ
So now folks have had their iPhone 6/6+ for a while now. How does everybody feel about the rounded edges vs. the squared off edges on the previous generation of iPhones? Personally I prefer the old squared off edges of my 5s. This is not a huge deal. More of a minor aesthetic choice, and it doesn't detract from the insanely great nature of my iPhone 6. In fact, I'll probably moot the point by getting a case that has squared off edges.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Squared edges all the way, used my phones naked until the 6/6+ now they are way too slippery and uncomfortable to handle without a case. Also, there is such a thing as "too thin"!

47seijar

Zealot
Bronze
Oct 6, 2012
Denville, NJ
Exactly! Generally, thinner is better than thicker. But there comes a point, and we're at that point now, when you start to sacrifice capabilities (like battery size) to pursue the mania for a thinner and thinner phone. We saw a similar push towards smaller and smaller phones some years back. We were approaching the "Zoolander" phone at one point, but folks finally woke up to the fact that a postage stamp-size screen was just not useful, especially on a smartphone.
Also, there is such a thing as "too thin"!

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
I agree that it makes the phone more slippery and harder to hold. For me, personally I like the rounded edges as it gives the phone some definition and a unique look.

BobsApple

Nov 9, 2014
San Francisco Bay Area
I couldn't imagine using my iPhone 6 "naked". Way too slippery. Bought a leather Apple case and love it! That said I do like the rounded edges and slim profile!

Best

Bob

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
I like the rounded edges on the 6 better. I was so paranoid about using a case on my 4 and 5 so I never went naked and always had a case. I had my 6 for about a week before I finally put a case on it. I definitely like the feel of a naked 6, but I am way too paranoid to use my phone without a case for too long.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I like the rounded edges on the 6 better. I was so paranoid about using a case on my 4 and 5 so I never went naked and always had a case. I had my 6 for about a week before I finally put a case on it. I definitely like the feel of a naked 6, but I am way too paranoid to use my phone without a case for too long.
The Apple leather case on the Plus is great. It's a lovely feely.

47seijar

Zealot
Bronze
Oct 6, 2012
Denville, NJ
I loved the Apple leather case on my 5s. But the ones for the 6/6+ are open at the bottom and I really don't like the unfinished look. These days I'm a Spigen guy.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I loved the Apple leather case on my 5s. But the ones for the 6/6+ are open at the bottom and I really don't like the unfinished look. These days I'm a Spigen guy.
I love the open portion at the bottom. It makes it compatible with all headphones, cables, adapters and docks. I don't think it decreases protectiveness. It still covers the edges and should protect it just as well, or at least almost as well, in a drop. It's a minimalistic case, so it's not going to provide as much protection as you can get with some cases, but I don't want the tradeoff of bulk. I also love how it looks. Since it's open, you can see a portion of the aluminum and the curved glass, which is really nice. You don't have that with most cases. Usually you have to go caseless to see to see any of it.

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
I'm 50/50 on this one. The rounded edges make the phone drop dead sexy but it also makes it a wee bit slippery. I always carry my phones naked and have almost dropped it once so far. Apple Care+ is a must have with these phones.

I like the rounded edges aside from the slip slide and away feeling you get from them..

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I like the new rounded edges, but I also like the square-y type build as well. The new design is pretty to look at and to hold, but I'm generally worried about damaging it. I jumped the gun to early with buying a case for my 6, it's bulky but well protected.

topcat84

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
I really like the rounded edges and love the Apple leather cases. I have the black and brown. I also like the Apple black silicone case. I always protected my iPhone with an Otterbox Defender, but just couldn't stand the thought of how bulky it would be with the iPhone 6+. Cheers!!

jakefuzzy

Bronze
Oct 13, 2009
Just received my new Otterbox Defender for my 6 plus. All I can say is "LOVE IT". It's a little bulky but the piece of mind it gives me to have it in a Defender is so worth it. I love the 6 plus and I'm really happy I didn't go for the 6. No complaints so far. I guess I'm still in the "Honeymoon" stage. LOL

J-94

Zealot
Bronze
Mar 7, 2011
Gotta say I prefer the squared edges, I feel like I'm in the minority though.

Paul_01

Mar 28, 2013
I much prefer the 6 design to the previous square edged version.

Feels fantastic to hold.....a tad 'bar of soapish', but I'm careful :).

Zzz

Contributor
Bronze
Sep 13, 2014
Squared edges over the rounded ones and the 5s is still my favorite iPhone. :)

Sent from my iPhone 6 using iCafe App.

Jdsmitty10

Bronze
Oct 19, 2010
The rounded edges are more comfortable on the hands IMHO. The squared edges seemed to give more to hold on to to not drop the phone. I think the size of the 6/6+ have something to do with the "slipperiness". Any time I pick up my 5 it seems so much easier to hold because of both the squared edges and size. If the 6 was a little smaller with round edges I believe it would be easier to grip due to fitting in people's hands better. I use all my phones without a case but definitely need to be more careful with the 6. Anyone else notice the shiny glass seems to be more grippy than the matte finish on the back? What if they did a shiny back? Would it add to the grip?

Sent using iCafe app

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
at first I liked the lock/power button on the side, but it presents two problems for me:

1) the lock/power button on iPad is still on the top, so my muscle memory gets confused switching between the two.

2). when locking the device while it's laying down is more difficult because you need to squeeze on both sides - but when you go to squeeze on the opposite side of the power button, you also press the volume buttons. Then apparently the volume buttons take priority, so the phone doesn't lock.

Because of these issues, I would have preferred keeping the power button on the top, even though it would have made locking slightly more difficult while holding in one hand.