Router advice?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Edwhite, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Edwhite

Edwhite New Member

I just got Internet in my apartment and need a router to FaceTime my daughter. Any suggestions. The only thing I will be using is my iPhone and about 15 feet from the router. I don't have computer or tv.

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I would have to suggest Linksys Wireless. Easy to setup and use. And the distance you can be from the router is pretty good. Since all you will be using is your iPhone and FaceTime, you don't need a real expensive router or materials.

3. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

Netgear is another good brand to consider.

4. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

A Mifi through your wireless carrier is also an option, pending on how much data you plan to use per month.

5. Apple4me

Apple4me Evangelist
    Gold

I have both the Apple Extreme and Express wireless routers. I have had every other brand of router under the sun over the past 15 years and have had the best luck with Apple routers. For your needs, an Apple Express would be the ideal router.

6. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Is your cable company not providing with one?
    I would say to them you want one or you switch carrier ...
    That said my cable company router stinks and I switched to Apples Extreme and Express but we have old houses and a lot of troubles and many many devices !

7. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

Most cable companies, at least round my area of the country, provide a cable modem or similar device as part of their installation. They don't provide a wireless router, which I think is what the OP is talking about. They may offer to sell you one, but usually at way inflated prices. You're generally far better off getting your own Linksys or Netgear.

8. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

You might be right but then shame on the Company for not installing internet the OP can't use! What kind of service is that?

9. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

This is a pretty good one, but I jest:

#9 Napoleon PhoneApart, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2013
  10. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

I have a Netgear & it works great. Easy to setup, I didn't even use the disc. I manage the settings from the default website they provide.

11. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

You'll need a computer to set it up won't you?

Have you thought about the app Tango? It let you video conference over 3G or wifi.

Target

Sent from my iPad2 using iCafe app

12. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

You can jailbreak & do FaceTime over 3G. I think you can plug a router in & be good to go but need a pc to set passwords or any other settings. You may even be able to do it from safari on your Apple device.

13. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

Very well may be true on today's gear. Great point. I haven't had to get a new one on a couple of years. I do know I can access my web GUI on my router from my iPhone, but I had to plug up an Ethernet cable to set it up. I do have security on mine because of neighbors. Who knows what they look at online.

Target

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iCafe app