Router issue

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
This may be a long shot since this is not a forum dedicated to computers and the world of networking, but I have been experiencing an issue for quite some time now and I finally discovered the culprit.

The internet has been really slow for over a month, only working efficiently for a couple of hours a day then slowing down. When I restart the router, it would work fast for around five minutes then slow down again. I tried every troubleshooting method I could think of to no avail. Today I was experiencing a slow connection as usual and I decided to turn Wi-Fi off and BAM! the internet was really fast again.

I then thought to myself, how could I have missed it? There are almost too many connected devices to the router. I've had this Linksys router for around four years now and I rarely ever turn it off, and there are many devices in the house connected to it (7 if I am not mistaken) and that definitely contributes to it slowing down even if those devices aren't streaming or downloading.

My question is, would buying a new router fix this issue? Should I be looking for a router with a stronger signal and one that handle all those users at once (bearing in mind it's not slowing down because they are downloading, but rather because they are connected in general)?

Thanks a lot, guys, any info is appreciated.

Having seven devices connected to your router will not cause an appreciable slowdown in speed, unless one or two of the devices are actively streaming heavy content.

That being said, The problem could still be your router. Remember, the speed of your local area network is limited by the slowest device connected to it. Do you have 802.11b devices? If so, changing to a simultaneous dual band router Will allow you to connect your high-speed Apple devices (802.11 in or ac) to the 5 GHz band, while leaving your slower devices on the older 2.4 GHz band.

ricks2gtouch

Zealot
Silver
Feb 20, 2009
Florida
Interesting. I have been thinking about this lately. We have the following wireless devices connected to our UVerse gateway (wireless router):

Xbox 360
3 Rokus
1 Apple TV
1 BluRay
4 iPads
3 iPhones
4 laptops
My work laptop and phone sometimes.

Now, granted, they would never be used all at once. But we do see slowdowns sometimes. If one laptop were using older wifi tech, the entire network would slow down?

Would a 3rd party router handle this load better than the AT&T equipment?

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Rick, thank you for your reply. I am not sure about the bands in all of the devices, I'll have to check each and write it down. I'm pretty sure my MacBook Pro and my HTC One M8 both use high-speed bands, or at least the latter does (Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA, Wi-Fi hotspot), but even if, how do I go about setting up a dual-band router? Mine is a D-Link (not Linksys, sorry about that) DSL-2730U and I highly doubt it has the dual-band feature, or does it? I usually buy my electronics from this store because it is near me and has almost everything I need, so would you be able to tell me if there are any dual-band routers you see? I checked a couple of them but I could not see that feature in the title or the description.

http://compume.com.eg/en/product/search&sort=p.price&order=DESC&filter_name=router

Thank you, Rick! Nice to see you here, by the way, it's been quite a while! Hope all is well with you.

List of Devices:

Apple iPhone 5S
Apple iPhone 5
Apple iPhone 5
Apple iPad 3
HTC One M7
HTC One M8
MacBook Pro 2008
MacBook Pro mid-2010
PlayStation 3
Samsung Galaxy S5
Sony Vaio (Connected through Ethernet)

Besides the PS3, the ones on top are almost always connected when they're home. I am not too sure, but I am guessing the newer devices (iPhone 5, 5S, Galaxy S5, and M8) all support the 5Ghz band?

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I tried using my Windows 8 Vaio as a hotspot while Wi-Fi is disabled on the router and it's actually quite fast (connected with the HTC and the MBP), so maybe that can take a load off the router if I ever decide to turn Wi-Fi back on?

Last edited:
Tarek, good to hear you're well given the occasional turmoil there.

It seems that your router is a single band (2.4GHz) supporting 802.11b/g/n, which is pretty fast, way faster than your Internet speeds that's okay. However, it only operates on the 2.4 GHz band and it does not use 5 GHz which supports 802.11a/n/ac. Note that devices that have 802.11n can select either band. Also, your router is a combination DSL modem and router, and any replacement would also need to incorporate both devices, or you would need to purchase a separate DSL modem and router.

One thing you can check is in your router configuration, there is usually a section where you can turn on and off "mixed mode". This either allows or disallows 802.11b along with 802.11g and 802.11n devices. Once you turn off support for the b devices, you will quickly learn which ones are using the slower b protocol and could be slowing you down. You will need to log into the router in order to make this change.

As you can see from the above, the advantage of a dual band router is that you can put the older b devices on the 2.4 GHz band, while you let your newer Apple devices make use of the 5 GHz band. To complicate matters, here are some other considerations:
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/d...uld-i-use-the-2.4-ghz-or-5-ghz-wireless-band?

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
So this is basically to revive a very old thread with an update.

Yes, it has actually taken me this long to start doing something about this issue. After upgrading my speed, the issue was minimized but then I recently decided it was time for a dual-band router. I started researching and then decided on the Linksys E2500 dual-band wireless router.

I took it back home and tried to connect to the internet but it didn't work. Little did I know, it actually requires an Internet Modem in order to work. That is really annoying because now I have to search for an Internet Modem with just a single Ethernet Port that I use to connect to the Linksys Wireless Router in order for it to actually work!

I just thought it was simple plug and play but it requires a little more work than that.

Do you think I should find a modem and use that to connect or should I just replace the Linksys with a single-band router that doesn't require that hassle? And an extra device as well.

It sounds like your issue is that you have DSL or Cable that requires a box (modem) to interpret the signal before a router can use it. That's common.

Your choices are to get a separate modem and use your existing dual band router, or get a combination modem and router box. Unless you can return the dual band router, I'd just get a modem to process your inbound signal. If you can return the router, look for a combination modem/router that supports dual band routing. Be sure to check for compatibility with your provider for the modem or combo, DSL and cable providers require different specs for the modem part and there are several types of each.

In summary, the issue you have isn't the fact that you have a dual-band router rather than a single band router, it's that you have a router alone, without modem capabilities.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Thanks for your reply, Rick. I had an old SpeedTouch 510 lying around and it worked in combination with the new router, and things look really good so far. I am trying to figure out how to disable the guest WiFi without using Cisco Connect because it doesn't seem to be working for me, and I'm also looking into getting a 5 GHz extender because its range is rather short, but it seems more stable than the 2.4 GHz band.