RSS Feeds

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

beej

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Uh, that's a pretty broad question. What are you interested in? There are tons of feeds out there.

jay12

Oct 18, 2007
I just downloaded the app that allows you to enter an RSS feed on your iPhone. What are some good links to feeds that I could use?
i just recently got the same app too but im still unclear on how RSS feeds work.. can someone put an example of how to subscribe to a feed?

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
i just recently got the same app too but im still unclear on how RSS feeds work.. can someone put an example of how to subscribe to a feed?
Most sites that provide a feed will have a link on their webpage that has the RSS icon on it. Using your computer click the link so it opens in your browser. The address in the address bar of your browser is the link to the RSS feed site for that website. You then launch the Mobile RSS program on your phone, Click the i in the upper left corner, click the + sign on the next page that opens and a blank Feed: box appears. Enter the address that is in the address bar on your browser (looks just like a regular web address but may end in .xml or contain rssfeed in the address) and click save.

An example would be:

http://rssfeeds.usatoday.com/usatoday-NewsTopStories

Usa Today's news feed.

Once you click the save button it will display a listing of news articles showing just a brief one line summary of each news article. Clicking on an article will open a paragraph long version of the story and if you want even more information after that you can click "Visit Link" which will open the actual news article in Safari so you can read the whole story.

My example shows a news site but there are literally thousands out there from Sports to blogs to news, etc..

SkyyBoy

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Hawaii
FYI, you CAN open RSS feeds in Safari. just enter the URL, and Safari will open the feed for you (no 3rd party apps necessary)
the 3rd party apps might add more functionality, but the iPhone DOES have native RSS support.

jay12

Oct 18, 2007
im currently using mobile rss 1.4.1 on 1.1.1 .. and the feeds still arent working.. i tried the usa today address and it seems to not work. when i input it in safari it does read it though... any tips?

beej

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
FYI, you CAN open RSS feeds in Safari. just enter the URL, and Safari will open the feed for you (no 3rd party apps necessary)
the 3rd party apps might add more functionality, but the iPhone DOES have native RSS support.
Google Reader also has a mobile version that works very well on the iPhone, even over EDGE.