RSS reader

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I second the NetNewsWire suggestion. It's not as robust as I'd like it (I wish you could add feeds in the app itself, and view the clippings you've saved - you can only do these things when logged in to your NewsGator account online), but it works fairly well. I use it every day during my commute to stay up on the latest technology news for work.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
at first i thought i wanted a simplerss like simplerss, but netnewswire just works so much better

Voltaic Shock

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Leesburg, VA
I second the NetNewsWire suggestion. It's not as robust as I'd like it (I wish you could add feeds in the app itself, and view the clippings you've saved - you can only do these things when logged in to your NewsGator account online), but it works fairly well. I use it every day during my commute to stay up on the latest technology news for work.
This is one reason I don't like it. Just because I have read an article doesn't mean I don't want to look at it again.

It's good though for the first version. I suggest they take a look at how Viigo works (www.viigo.com). I come from a BB and well Viigo has spoiled me with RSS. You can add and remove from the app. Save your stared articles. It doesn't delete an article once you have read it, just marks it as read. The also have podcasts in the latest version, plus some nice extras.

Nutchos

Bronze
Jul 21, 2008
I'm using feeds. Was really turned off by netnewswire cause adding feeds was a chore, I don't like having to manage "accounts" and it didn't have a browser for when you need it.

I opted for feeds. The only downside is that it doesn't cache, however I don't really mind b/c of 3g. There's no account to sign up for, adding feeds is easy and it includes a browser. And $1 isn't too bad. Also for some reason it seems to remember the feeds I like even after restoring the iPhone to factory default and not restoring from backup.

sim

Aug 19, 2008
Rochester, MN
I have Byline and like it a lot.

I wanted something that synced with Google Reader.

The one thing I don't care for is that I don't think you can add a feed directly from the App. I think you have to do it through Google Reader.

Steve

smileyman

Bronze
Aug 3, 2008
Not sure why you would want to use an app to sync with google reader, when you can just use google reader itself.. just make a shortcut to it on your homescreen.

To the original poster, I'd recommend Google Reader... it's right there, easy to use, and you don't need to sync anything with your desktop if you read rss from your desktop too.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Merging multiple threads on this topic, so apologies for the thread bump of sorts.

There's a new app out today called Unread that's really nice. I've been using it since earlier today. It's probably best suited for people who don't have a ton of RSS feeds. For example, when you enter 'unread', you only see two posts before having to scroll. It's got some great gesture based control for marking as read, sharing, etc.

That being said, it's a beautiful looking RSS reader and fast. I'm using it with Feedbin, which has been great. My default RSS reader up until now was Reeder.

I've got some more thoughts here.