RSS reader

Discussion in 'iPhone Apps and Games' started by dbarron, Aug 14, 2008.

1. dbarron

dbarron New Member

So what is the best free solution for reading RSS and ATOM feeds?

2. steelsun

steelsun New Member

Google's reader probably. It's free and easy to use.

3. haopu

haopu New Member

NetNewsWire

4. Voltaic Shock

Voltaic Shock New Member
    Bronze

I really wish there was one like Viigo (I came from the BB world).

5. Marianne

Marianne Zealot

I second the NetNewsWire suggestion. It's not as robust as I'd like it (I wish you could add feeds in the app itself, and view the clippings you've saved - you can only do these things when logged in to your NewsGator account online), but it works fairly well. I use it every day during my commute to stay up on the latest technology news for work.

6. styfle

styfle Zealot
    Gold

at first i thought i wanted a simplerss like simplerss, but netnewswire just works so much better

7. Voltaic Shock

Voltaic Shock New Member
    Bronze

This is one reason I don't like it. Just because I have read an article doesn't mean I don't want to look at it again.

It's good though for the first version. I suggest they take a look at how Viigo works (www.viigo.com). I come from a BB and well Viigo has spoiled me with RSS. You can add and remove from the app. Save your stared articles. It doesn't delete an article once you have read it, just marks it as read. The also have podcasts in the latest version, plus some nice extras.

8. Nutchos

Nutchos New Member
    Bronze

I'm using feeds. Was really turned off by netnewswire cause adding feeds was a chore, I don't like having to manage "accounts" and it didn't have a browser for when you need it.

I opted for feeds. The only downside is that it doesn't cache, however I don't really mind b/c of 3g. There's no account to sign up for, adding feeds is easy and it includes a browser. And $1 isn't too bad. Also for some reason it seems to remember the feeds I like even after restoring the iPhone to factory default and not restoring from backup.

9. argeleri

argeleri New Member
    Bronze

Hi everyone, I'm looking for good recommendations for an RSS reader for the iPhone. Can anyone recommend me a good one? Thanks!

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I've used "Feeds" for almost a year now and really like it.

11. sim

sim New Member

I have Byline and like it a lot.

I wanted something that synced with Google Reader.

The one thing I don't care for is that I don't think you can add a feed directly from the App. I think you have to do it through Google Reader.

Steve

12. smileyman

smileyman New Member
    Bronze

Not sure why you would want to use an app to sync with google reader, when you can just use google reader itself.. just make a shortcut to it on your homescreen.

To the original poster, I'd recommend Google Reader... it's right there, easy to use, and you don't need to sync anything with your desktop if you read rss from your desktop too.

13. Chris1985702591

Bronze

Hi just looking to invest in a good rss reader, anybody got any suggestions on the best ones?

Thanks

14. amq

amq Member
    Bronze

Pulse, google it, Its recommended a lot on tech sites and i personally Love it.

15. Picazzo

Picazzo Zealot
    Gold

I use "Reeder", and think is one of the best rss - at this moment: go check it out here.

16. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I also use Reeder and am very happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

17. Fulc_

Fulc_ New Member

Reeder is the best.

18. iblastoff

iblastoff New Member
    Bronze

not really a fan of reeder. i like mobilerss better.

19. Picazzo

Picazzo Zealot
    Gold

That also looks fine to me....haven't tried it out yet. What version do you use?

20. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Merging multiple threads on this topic, so apologies for the thread bump of sorts.

There's a new app out today called Unread that's really nice. I've been using it since earlier today. It's probably best suited for people who don't have a ton of RSS feeds. For example, when you enter 'unread', you only see two posts before having to scroll. It's got some great gesture based control for marking as read, sharing, etc.

That being said, it's a beautiful looking RSS reader and fast. I'm using it with Feedbin, which has been great. My default RSS reader up until now was Reeder.

I've got some more thoughts here.