Rumor: 5.5″ iPhone 7 has 3GB of RAM and waterproof chassis

Discussion in 'iPhone 7' started by Rafagon, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

iPhone-7-concept-Yasser-Farahi-001.jpg

"According to a recent TrendForce analyst Avril Wu [not to be confused with Canadian-French singer-songwriter, musician, and occasional actress Avril Lavigne], Apple will edge closer to Samsung in smartphone market share in 2016 by continuing to advance the iPhone by adding some of the features commonly found on high-end Android devices.

For starters, the next iPhone—let’s dub it an ‘iPhone 7’—is expected to increase the amount of RAM in the 5.5-inch model by fifty percent to three gigabytes, just a year after the iPhone 6s doubled the RAM from one to two gigabytes."

[Note about avoiding confusion with Avril Lavigne mine.]

The article in its entirety can be found here.

iPhone 7 concept by 3D artist Yasser Farahi.

2. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

That render is SICK! Edge-to-edge screen means the overall size of the device can be smaller than previous Plus models, maybe bringing the overall size down to the 6/6s dimensions.

I'd really love it if Apple would surprise us with built in wireless charging.

3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Remember that it's a render, though I'd also like to have a smaller bezel. I read this rumor two or three weeks ago. Still not sold on the 3 gigs of RAM. I guess we'll see.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I don't like that render, but I can't say I've ever liked a render. Also, I'm tired of the space grey color. I was looking at the iPod Touches last night in an Apple Store and loved the look of the black aluminum and the blue aluminum, especially with those shiny chamfered edges. I doubt they will make a blue one, but I'm really hoping Apple makes a black iPhone 7. The 6s is already water-resistant, which came at the expense of the speakers. I imagine the speakers would sound pretty bad if they fully waterproofed the phone (without plugs).

I'm definitely not buying that it will have 3 GB of RAM...

#4 Europa, Nov 21, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

I think you're right about the RAM. It's Apple's way to stick with the current 2GB for a couple generations. How long did they stick with just 1GB?

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Three years (generations) with 256 MB, two years with 500 MB and three years with 1 GB. Of course, they could change this pattern and upgrade it again after only one year, but I think it's unlikely. Increasing it to 2 GB this year was a significant upgrade. On the 6, you could only get a 300 MB of free RAM at best, which is enough for a few Safari tabs and a couple app before they start reloading. With 2 GB on the 6s, you have about 1.3 GB of free RAM, which is 4.5x or 450% more. It's plenty for dozens of Safari tabs and for multitasking multiple apps. iOS is really efficient and doesn't require as much as some of the competing phones.

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Who is Avril Lavigne?

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

She's famous.

9. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Never heard of her. I thought she was a he before you posted the video.

#9 Ledsteplin, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

No reply. Moderatelderator, please delete.

11. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I'm waiting for the translation.

12. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I'm tired of the "thinner" trend of these phones, it's silly. Give me a bigger battery :(

13. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I don't get the "thinner" thing either. How thin does Apple want it? It's ridiculous. I want thicker with better battery and squared edges. I don't care for the rounded edges. Thank goodness for Otterbox.

14. Anthony Carver

Bronze

I really wish this rumors to be true. It would be the best iPhone then.

15. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

I believe we have reached, maybe surpassed, the point at which thinner has any value. Manufacturers like to brag about "thinnest" and "lightest" but now it's just a stat. Usability is what counts. I echo liberated's sentiments about wanting more battery and less thinness.

16. Anthony Carver

Bronze

Never had a problem with its slimness or thickness, I just want it to be bundled with good specifications.

17. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

The whole thinner thing. I agree. And Apple just released a battery case that looks ridiculous with the big bump on the back. lol

18. Carolx3

Carolx3 New Member

My battery on the iphone 6s plus lasts me the whole day so I can't complain..

19. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

No. :D

20. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Wrong thread really, but yeah. A lot of us know about the SE ;)
    http://www.apple.com/iphone-se/