Rumor: Apple Testing 3.9-inch new iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by chris, May 22, 2012.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Reports have Apple testing a new iPhone 5 with a he larger display that is said to be 3.95-inches and retain the same width. More steam also to the previous note about them changing the dock connector.

If they are going into production within the next month as reported by Reuters, wouldn't this be completed and production ready. I'm guessing that Apple routinely tests all sorts of devices, even those which aren't final. I think that if Apple is starting production on a phone next month, it's been finished for quite some time.

#1 chris, May 22, 2012
    Last edited: May 26, 2015
  2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

They better retain the same width, or else all app owners will have to adjust their app for the new size.

3. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

Higher res means more flexibility for the devs to make the apps look better. The devs didn't seem to have problems when the new iPad was announced with a better display. If the devs want to keep up with better devices, they better step up their game.

4. Axne1

Axne1 Member

Coming from monster size Android screens. I realize now that I love the iPhones 3.5 inch screen. The devs will make due though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. snowtrooper1966

Gold

From an excellent arricle detailing the issues of increasing the iPhone screen real estate:

Scaling and Apps

The 3:2 aspect ratio of the current iPhone is an important one. It has a relationship to photography (which Apple is focused on with the iPhone) and the most common snapshot proportions. It’s also very close to the visually and aesthetically pleasing Golden Rectangle.

So if Apple was going to move away from that ratio, it would have to have some very good reasons.

You might argue that you could just scale the screen of the iPhone upwards without changing the amount of pixels that it has available to it, but that doesn’t work, and it’s not because the definition of a Retina display might not be met.

The biggest issue when it comes to changing the size of the screen of the iPhone is that iOS designers—those building apps with custom graphics anyway—build to a physical size, not a number of pixels.

Good UI designers pay attention to design conventions like Fitts’ Law that govern how large their touch targets should be for best ease of use. These are calculated to be easy to touch and use at their intended speeds and sizes. You can’t simply ‘blow up’ these apps to a larger size without them taking a usability hit. These apps would have to be redesigned anyway, regardless of the pixel density.

By adding pixels to the long dimension, Apple will mitigate much of this by allowing apps that use standard UI to expand along the vertical (or horizontal if landscape) axis. The content areas—those between the top and bottom navigation bars of many popular apps—would scale easily in portrait and most apps are already designed to translate to landscape naturally.

Indeed, many apps are already designed to be ‘mobile’ along the vertical axis, in order to be compatible with the ‘in call’ bar, which is active while you’re on the phone with someone.

This means that a large portion of the apps in the App Store will work on day one, but that many others, especially those that use custom graphics, will have to be pillar-boxed or letter-boxed depending on orientation. I especially like Will Hains’ suggestion that the white iPhone could even receive a white pillar-box, although I’m not sure this sounds very ‘apple-ey’.

If you’re just outraged that any apps would be displayed this way and think that Apple would never do that, I present to you the crap solution it had to bridge the iPad gap: 2x apps, with their very own little glossy black border.

I can tell you one thing, however. The extra real-estate will be available to iOS developers. As I stated earlier today on Twitter, these pixels will not be made available to developers to use and will not be reserved for some iOS feature. This goes completely against the concept of the iPhone as an Information Appliance, which transforms the screen into the app that you’re using. Any dedicated space would work counter to this goal, and I don’t think that’s going to happen.

Full article from The Next Web here:

http://thenextweb.com/Apple/2012/05/23/the-how-and-why-of-a-4-inch-iphone/

6. Axne1

Axne1 Member

Great info! Thanks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Aaronbrady

Aaronbrady New Member

It would better to wait and watch that what really Apple does with their new iPhone 5. So many things are now about this phone in air. Anyway it would be great so just waiting for the release.

8. Watcher

Watcher Zealot
    Gold

So they're just lengthening the screen, huh? Not touching the width? Okay, I'm not sure if I'll be getting a new iPhone if this is true. I may have to shop around. I would like my screen to have more girth to it as well as diagonal real estate.

9. snowtrooper1966

Gold

I'm good with just the longitudinal stretch of the screen if that turns out to be accurate.
    It makes a lot of sense.
    Allows the device to retain the same footprint, increases the aspect ratio to widescreen (great for mirroring device via AppleTV to your home theater) and minimizes the tweaking devs will need to perform to get their apps to display correctly.

10. Ltzguy

Ltzguy Zealot
    Gold

for some reason, this comment makes no sense to me.

11. snowtrooper1966

Gold

I'll postulate he likes the smaller iPhone form factor (presumably including the above discussed 3.9) and that whatever happens, the devs will persevere...

12. Ltzguy

Ltzguy Zealot
    Gold

ok

13. snowtrooper1966

Gold

for some reason, this comment makes no sense to me

Is that a question about my summation or an indication of agreement? :D

14. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Sounds painful. Lol

15. snowtrooper1966

Gold

It can be if your cranium is too small... :D

16. firewire

firewire Member
    Silver

Why are we worried about devs adapting to a new screen size and why would Apple need to design their device around this false worry? Has this ever happened in the history of electronics? Usually the hardware comes first and then developers create programs that match said hardware.

I am very confident that developers will "somehow manage" to adjust their apps to accommodate a different sized screen, even if Apple was going to 4.5 inches (which I wish they would.) People don't give them enough credit if you think this will cause such a disaster for them.

17. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Off the top of my head TV sets come to mind.
    3:2 and 16:9 aspect ratios. Hardware based on available content.

Dunno about "worried".
    Everything at this stage is just conjecture.
    The fact that they "may" be considering how app development plays into change in screen size/resolution is eactly why I use Apple products.
    Part of my reasoning to use Apple products is the cohesiveness of the ecosystem, something sorely lacking for Android users.
    In my opinion, the (theoretical at this point) consideration of the development chain is key to not alinating users and devs.

18. Watcher

Watcher Zealot
    Gold

I want to go on record saying I think the new iPhone will have a 1080p screen this year! LG has a 1080p phone in the works but that's not the reason I think the iPhone will follow. It's because their 640 x 960 pixel screen can only be quadrupled to 1080 x 1920 to support the existing apps at a proportional aspect ratio. There's no way Apple would alienate their consumers who've invested mucho dinero in their App Store by coming out with the rumored 16 x 9 iPhone which would make it an odd pixel ratio. The other reason I find this being a good possibility is the new iPad sports a more than 1080p resolution at 2048 x 1536 with their A5X processor which is rumored to also be in the new, upcoming iPhone.

19. firewire

firewire Member
    Silver

Actually the original video equipment came first, which then influenced the aspect ratio of the film and changed over time. That in turn influenced HD screens to match the already established "movie" ratio, but not all. You don't see any 2.35:1 tvs out there (except for that one model which looks terrible.)

20. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Dunno if you read the article I linked above, Watcher.
    Compelling arguments for 16:9 aspect ratio, with Apple getting into the TV biz.
    Give it peek, lemmie know what you think then.