Rumor: iPhone 3.0 Might Let Apps Run in the Background for Real Multitasking

PartisanEntity

Bronze
Oct 1, 2008
Austria
www.cognitivecombine.com
Read it just now on Gizmodo, would be damn cool.

MacRumors says that if what they're hearing is true, and Apple allows apps to run in the background, it would happen with the iPhone 3.0 software. On the current iPhones, it would likely be restricted to one or two processes at a time, but with the beefier hardware of the next-gen iPhone, it'd be less restricted.
Read more...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I personally don't see them going the "one or two at a time route". I think they'll go all the way or not at all. Unless they come up with a very clever way to micromanage running apps, it would get annoying pretty quick and destroy the user experience. I would prefer to set it and forget it.

Or they may only allow it for the v3 iPhone... That's a pretty big reason to upgrade.

PartisanEntity

Bronze
Oct 1, 2008
Austria
www.cognitivecombine.com
With the iPhone's poor battery performance, I don't see them allowing unlimited processes to run in the background. It would ruin the reputation of the product, since many users would assume they can leave all kinds of apps running in the background and all the time.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
True, but at the same time, jailbroken phones (for the most part) don't have any issues with background apps decreasing battery life or overall performance.

PartisanEntity

Bronze
Oct 1, 2008
Austria
www.cognitivecombine.com
I haven't actually tested it, it would be interesting to see how the battery holds out if I let Fring run in the background all day. I usually only let applications run in the background during a limited period of time when I actually need them.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I personally don't see them going the "one or two at a time route". I think they'll go all the way or not at all. Unless they come up with a very clever way to micromanage running apps, it would get annoying pretty quick and destroy the user experience. I would prefer to set it and forget it.

Or they may only allow it for the v3 iPhone... That's a pretty big reason to upgrade.
I agree with this. Perhaps as a way to throw a bone to current iPhone users, they could implement a "round robin" type of allocation. It would keep your last 3 or 4 apps open, but they would close dynamically, first one in first one out, as more programs were launched. They will need some sort of task switcher. Triple-hit the home button? That would be annoying.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
With the iPhone's poor battery performance, I don't see them allowing unlimited processes to run in the background. It would ruin the reputation of the product, since many users would assume they can leave all kinds of apps running in the background and all the time.
I think the processes will be limited to 2 user-selected processes running in the background.

FrumpyDuck

Feb 4, 2009
Tulsa
I sure hope they add this feature, there is so much that could be done with this.

In addition I think it would really attract a lot more awesome application makers.
Of course, would also love to see Copy/paste and MMS but thats a whole 'nother can of worms.

ventrj

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
If you noticed in the new iPhone they showed it had a removable battery which would allow for a bigger upgraded battery or for you to carry multiple batteries at a time if need be.

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
If you noticed in the new iPhone they showed it had a removable battery which would allow for a bigger upgraded battery or for you to carry multiple batteries at a time if need be.
Dude, that's a mackup from someone's dreamland.

By the way, I honestly think the reason push has been delayed is for battery reasons.

Joe