RUMOR: TomTom Developing iPhone GPS Module

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I sure hope GPS solutions for the iPhone will be of a bluetooth nature as lots of people charge their phone via the dock when driving.

That and bluetooth GPS devices abound already. Time to tap in.

.... That and I own one and desperately want to use it with the iPhone.

scott99

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Great Neck, NYC
Just because this is fake, doesn't mean GPS isn't coming to the iPhone. I would not be surprised if someone is using the SDK to build a GPS app as we speak. Maybe downloadable from iTunes (just speculation).

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
Just because this is fake, doesn't mean GPS isn't coming to the iPhone. I would not be surprised if someone is using the SDK to build a GPS app as we speak. Maybe downloadable from iTunes (just speculation).
gps isn't something you could download from iTunes. gps needs a gps receiver which means new hardware and you cant download hardware. its possible that with the SDK a company such as tomtom will build a gps receiver that plugs into the phone and the nessecary software will be downloaded from iTunes.

dazza

Sep 19, 2007
gps isn't something you could download from iTunes. gps needs a gps receiver which means new hardware and you cant download hardware. its possible that with the SDK a company such as tomtom will build a gps receiver that plugs into the phone and the nessecary software will be downloaded from iTunes.

Either a plugin for the iPhone itself or I'd be happy to use my (at the moment) redundant Bluetooth GPS receiver.. It's got to happen sooner or later.

Mordred

Jul 24, 2007
VA
How I wish there is a TomTom for iPhone where you can install and use it the same way like the ones for Palms. Currently my brother has one (Palm with TomTom) and its connected to an external GPS receiver via Bluetooth and its working just fine. I wouldn't mind buying that at all. :(

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I am sure we will all be watching when Steveo does his presentation on the week of January 14 for the MacWorld, hopefully he will be showing us the Version 2 model in detail.