Run PwnageTool for an untethered JB on an iPhone 4 (already tethered 5.0.1 via Redsn0w) ?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
The Dev Team Blog mentions how to use redsn0w and that it can be run over a PwnageTool jailbreak but doesn't say if PwnageTool can be run over an ios5.0.1 tethered iPhone 4 JB'd with redsn0w.

Since the iPhone 4 I'm talking about is currently tethered on 5.0.1 via Redsn0w (unlocked with Ultrasn0w & 1.59.00 BB), which step should be used next to untether :

1- Add Corona via Cydia? It's not working. It says "Sorry, your device/ios version is not supported". Don't know why if it's an iPhone 4 on 5.0.1

2- Run PwnageTool again over it and include Ultrasn0w in the Custom Package crating the new Restore ipsw?

3- Forget PwnageTool and run Redsn0w to create a new No-BB ipsw, clean restore to it, then JB with either one (PwnageTool or Redsn0w) all over again and then add Ultrasn0w?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
The Dev Team Blog mentions how to use redsn0w and that it can be run over a PwnageTool jailbreak but doesn't say if PwnageTool can be run over an ios5.0.1 tethered iPhone 4 JB'd with redsn0w.

Since the iPhone 4 I'm talking about is currently tethered on 5.0.1 via Redsn0w (unlocked with Ultrasn0w & 1.59.00 BB), which step should be used next to untether :

1- Add Corona via Cydia? It's not working. It says "Sorry, your device/ios version is not supported". Don't know why if it's an iPhone 4 on 5.0.1

2- Run PwnageTool again over it and include Ultrasn0w in the Custom Package crating the new Restore ipsw?

3- Forget PwnageTool and run Redsn0w to create a new No-BB ipsw, clean restore to it, then JB with either one (PwnageTool or Redsn0w) all over again and then add Ultrasn0w?
I would wait until Pwnage Tool is updated. The Dev-Team don't take too long updating their tools, once updated create custom firmware and preserve your baseband.

fijiman

Contributor
Silver
Feb 13, 2011
UK
Did you read my post? Please check where that was one of my options and why I didn't do it.
Yes read your post... my point is there must be a reason why you cannot install Corona... it's the pain free way if you can fix your issue... that's the route I took...was on Tethered jailbreak...installed Corona (No issues)...now on UnTethered jailbreak...

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
Yeah, I tried it already and I'd do it if I could but it's not up to me. I think I'll do #3 and be done with it. All the other iPhones I've done these last couple of days have gone fine except this one, but they have been clean JB and this one has a Jb already.

crystus

Bronze
Jul 5, 2009
Deltona, FL
I would just run redsnow over the tether, they have already confirmed that this an acceptable method. Just open redsnow, click the jailbreak button, and uncheck the install cydia box. Run it and you should be good to go. There is no sense in creating a new ipsw and doing the whole process over again. It is simple and easy.

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
Thanks. I'm still trying to find where it's acceptable to run Redsn0w over PwnageTool. I've read everywhere about running it over a previous Redsn0w but not over PwnageTool.

However if you did a 5.0.1 JB with Redsn0w pointing to 5.0 then the Dev-Team has said NOT to run it over. They say to do a clean ipsw or you'll end up in a reboot cycle.

If you can point me at where you got the info on running Redsn0w over PwnageTool, I'll appreciate it.

crystus

Bronze
Jul 5, 2009
Deltona, FL
I was more referring to since it was a redsnow tethered jailbreak to just run redsnow over it again. It was on twitter for Musclenerd I believe. They said that if you were already on a tethered jailbreak through redsnow you can run it again over it and just remove the check box for install cydia. I am checking his timeline again.

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
Yes I read that but it's not all Redsn0w JBs that you can run it over again. If you did a 5.0.1 JB with Redsn0w pointing to 5.0 then the Dev-Team has said NOT to run it over or you'll end up in a reboot cycle.

I'll just wait a few days until it all settles down to do this particular iPhone 4.

crystus

Bronze
Jul 5, 2009
Deltona, FL
Their new updates to their blog seem to indicate that it is ok, not sure what changes they made to the software but the gist i was getting is that it is ok as long as you point it to the right software.