Running PC on the MacPro

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I just realized that the PC section is gone.
I was going to ask for some help with my Windows XP that got infected by replicator viruses. Running on Parallels, it became barely functional. The first virus program I bought quit on start-up, and I tried many times. The second one tried bravely to install, but then wouldn't and after many error messages, would force me to restart many times over, but would not complete the installation. IE stopped working. I would get dozens of error messages each minute. I spent hours doing this. I spent $180 bucks in programs that wouldn't install.
So I gave up. I trashed my MP windows virtual machine.

I transplanted my windows machine from my MBP, but will have to spend the next evening activating Windows again. It took hours last time.

Why do people willingly deal with windows machines and this kind of crap all the time?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I just realized that the PC section is gone.
I was going to ask for some help with my Windows XP that got infected by replicator viruses. Running on Parallels, it became barely functional. The first virus program I bought quit on start-up, and I tried many times. The second one tried bravely to install, but then wouldn't and after many error messages, would force me to restart many times over, but would not complete the installation. IE stopped working. I would get dozens of error messages each minute. I spent hours doing this. I spent $180 bucks in programs that wouldn't install.
So I gave up. I trashed my MP windows virtual machine.

I transplanted my windows machine from my MBP, but will have to spend the next evening activating Windows again. It took hours last time.

Why do people willingly deal with windows machines and this kind of crap all the time?
To my surprise, I've found that if you set it up correctly, Windows can be very stable. I had a DELL that I was using before my Mac Pro and had zero issues with Vista. I did a clean install of Vista Business, followed by AdAware and Kaspersky Virus Protection. The thing runned like a champ. Keep in mind that I don't expose it to the constant battering that my G5 and now MacPro deal with it on a daily basis.

Both programs were nice additions to my Vista install. I'd avoid MacAfee. It came pre-installed when I first got the bloatware Dell and I found it to be sluggish. My research pointed me in the direction of Kaspersky and glad I found it.

There is a good freeware XP virus protection app, but I forgot the name. I've seen it mentioned a few times, when I was looking around for these apps.

It is nice to just "turn on my Mac" and have it work out of the box. The first thing I noticed about Vista was the warning sign. It would be akin to Ford selling a car that immediately need servicing after driving off the lot.

Ahhhh...such is Windows. Take these steps and I think you'll be pleased.

Good luck.
-Chris

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Thank you for the info.
I managed to install "The Shield", that I had already paid for yesterday, on my transplanted virtual machine on the MacPro, and right now, all appears well!
I tried to do the same on the MBA, and now IE won't even start up, after I got 4 (four!) gray screen-of-death Mac crashes while trying to install The Shield on Parallels/Windows PC. It's actually the same transplanted VM from the MBP, as it wouldn't let me install WinXP from the original CD.

Well, all this complicated businesss brings me to this: the original installations of WinXP (and eventually Vista) on Parallels were actually quite painful. After installation and before viruses, everything worked smoothly, but I wouldn't want to do it again (natural childbirth is not for everybody).
How's Fusion? Is it pretty easy to install/configure? Does it come with epidural anesthesia?
Any thought about my MBA and IE not starting up (the other stuff on XP works fine) and "The Shield" not installing? How do you get rid of viruses if your anti-viral meds won't even install?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
How do you get rid of viruses if your anti-viral meds won't even install?
Sorry for the pain you're going through. Just on that last question, you may have already done this but if not worth trying:
Install Autoruns from SysInternals (MS bought them but that's how I always knew them) - it's a very cool free utility found here, that shows you *everything* that is set to run at startup or on browser startup etc.
You could go check these things in the Registry, but there are a large number of different locations you need to go to see the same thing.
Look especially hard at these locations:

CropperCapture[3].Jpg

See anything there that you do not recognize as something you asked and approved to run at startup, Google it, see if it is legit. Hopefully you will find some obvious malware culprits here and remove them.

Last edited by a moderator:

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Thanks, I'll try this tomorrow at work.
Right now, I'm happily enjoying the smooth running of my MacPro:).
Wish I could take it with me everywhere, but it's a little bit cumbersome. Defeats the purpose of having MBA.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Cool, hope it gets resolved soon. I'm still a Windows user (though lusting after a Mac) but having been involved in support for years, I know that an infected machine can be a nightmare ...

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Cool, hope it gets resolved soon. I'm still a Windows user (though lusting after a Mac) but having been involved in support for years, I know that an infected machine can be a nightmare ...
While I was able to make Windows XP virus-free (I think) on MBA, I figured out that Parallels wasn't really compatible with MBA yet. Will post it on MBA subforum.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
While I was able to make Windows XP virus-free (I think) on MBA, I figured out that Parallels wasn't really compatible with MBA yet. Will post it on MBA subforum.
Ouch. Well, glad it is clean, or cleaner at any rate. Hope Autoruns was of some help. And hope you get your dual-boot working again ...

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Ouch. Well, glad it is clean, or cleaner at any rate. Hope Autoruns was of some help. And hope you get your dual-boot working again ...
Yes, thanks. My MacPro's dual booting is restored. It's just the MBA that doesn't like Windows. I might get Fusion if a solution isn't found soon.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Fusion has tools to import your Parallels virtual machines. I prefer Fusion, its benchmarked better for actual applications, whereas Parallels performs better for games.

Also, regarding editing your startup items, I think its a lost cause by today's standards in malicious software. Having made my own, I can tell you that any "good" malware is going to reinstall itself every time you restart your machine. Deleting it's registry entries and startup options are fruitless, because the application will recreate itself with a new dynamic name at every boot. This has become a standard, and its extremely difficult to track and get rid of on your own when you don't know where to look.

About 98% of the software designed to remove malware like this cannot undo the installation once the malware set it's hooks into your device. What these programs can do, and do well, is prevent malware like this from infecting you. That is about the only protection you can get, stopping the problem before it starts. I highly recommend starting over with your virtual machines, or restoring back to one that works.

As a PC user by profession, I would adise you to invest in Norton Ghost, and get into the habit of making Ghost Images of your Virtual Machine's local hard drive. In the event of a catostrophic failure, or malware installation, you can restore your system folder (or the entire drive) in just a matter of minutes.

I can go from Zero to XP + SP2 and all my programs installed in less than 7 minutes. Yes, I've timed it because I hate Windows installs too.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Fusion has tools to import your Parallels virtual machines.
Unfortunately, as I found out, the VMware converter (to convert the Parallels VM into a fusion-compatible VM) is an .exe file, which means you have to use Parallels to process it, and once Parallels has started, it of course crashes the Mac. :mad::(

I'm not sure if there is any other way to do this, but I'll keep searching.

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
Unfortunately, as I found out, the VMware converter (to convert the Parallels VM into a fusion-compatible VM) is an .exe file, which means you have to use Parallels to process it, and once Parallels has started, it of course crashes the Mac. :mad::(

I'm not sure if there is any other way to do this, but I'll keep searching.
While I was reading this I was wondering why Apple hasn't made a Boot Camp extension that allows you to run Windows while still in OSX. I'd imagine it'd be better than Parallels since it's made by the people who made the Os themselves.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
G , I hope you get your Mac/Win nightmare fixed soon without it costing you even more money than you've already spent.

Since malware/virus can turn a once running great system upside down, do you think your only recourse right now is to wipe the entire system clean and start over again?

See, this is one of the reasons why I'd never want Win on my Mac. The potential for viruses/malware, no matter how safe we think we are being, is to high for me to take the chance.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Continuing the saga: I found a beta utility that was supposed to convert my Parallels machine into a Fusion one. It did, but when WindowsXP-via-Fusion starts, it aborts itself right away with an error message. No luck there.

I tried to create a new machine from the XP CD I have, and I can't. I get an error message every few seconds that file xyz won't install, that I can continue, but the OS might not run without it. Dozens and dozens of messages. And guess what, it DOESN'T start...

On the good side, everything I'm describing is on the MBA.
Parallels, so far, is running fine on MBP and MP.

Speaking of windoze/viruses on the Mac, I don't think the viruses can propagate from the PC to the Mac. If you thrash your Windoze stuff, I think the problem is gone. At least, I hope so

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
Continuing the saga: I found a beta utility that was supposed to convert my Parallels machine into a Fusion one. It did, but when WindowsXP-via-Fusion starts, it aborts itself right away with an error message. No luck there.

I tried to create a new machine from the XP CD I have, and I can't. I get an error message every few seconds that file xyz won't install, that I can continue, but the OS might not run without it. Dozens and dozens of messages. And guess what, it DOESN'T start...

On the good side, everything I'm describing is on the MBA.
Parallels, so far, is running fine on MBP and MP.

Speaking of windoze/viruses on the Mac, I don't think the viruses can propagate from the PC to the Mac. If you thrash your Windoze stuff, I think the problem is gone. At least, I hope so
WOW! Seems like you're not doing any better now than you were when your problems started. Can you just get rid of everything Windows and start over- Will wiping it clean remove the nasty bugs that are causing you so many problems?

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
WOW! Seems like you're not doing any better now than you were when your problems started. Can you just get rid of everything Windows and start over- Will wiping it clean remove the nasty bugs that are causing you so many problems?
I hope so. I will wipe out my MBA of everything windows and try to install from scratch. But that's for another day. I've had enough for now!