Sad Story....

Saurabh

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
VA
Well I have been an iPhone customer since the first iPhone came out. I upgraded to the iPhone 3g in August of 2008 and now today i lose my iPhone 3g. So i decided to call att and get the 3gs. However the businesss customer support told me that i am eligible for the EARLY UPGRADE and not the 199 and 299 price. I thought ATT and Apple released an press release on June 17th saying that the older iPhone 3G customers could get the iPhone 3gs at the best pricing? Can someone please tell me what my sitation is? Am i being misinformed from the ATT representatives? I am NOT going to pay 399 and 499 price for being a LOYAL Apple customer. That is NONSENSE. I know its 1 am. However I am phoneless and ATT treats me like this, being a loyal customer since cingular and having currently 5 lines.

Please Help me out and tell me Apple will fix this in the morning because currently their offices are closed (DUH) I am a mad man in the middle of the night trying to order an iPhone at the susidized price. Please help a fellow grannysmith out.

Saurabh

Forgot to mention: They said id be able to get the iPhone 3gs at the 200 dolalr price on in January 2010. HECK id wait for the new 3GsX(Joke) in June than be in the same stupid situation.

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
Pony up the cash. I had to pay the $399 for my 16GB. Well worth it are you kidding me. Still would've been nice to get the sweet $199/$299 pricing like I got last year....But then again I sold my old 3G for $300 so it worked out fine.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
only certain customers qualified, for that price you mentioned, had something to do with how much you paid monthly i believe.

krypto

Bronze
Feb 18, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Hi, one of your 5 AT&T lines should be eligible for an upgrade. I had 3 lines & only 1 was eligible for an upgrade at the full subsidized price. I used that line to get the full subsidized upgrade price, then the AT&T rep switched the new 3GS to my old line & put the old phone back on the original line.

You should be able to do this too. If one of your other 4 lines is full upgrade eligible.

In the end, I payed $299 for one & $499 for the other 32GB 3GS. I had to get my Wife one too.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
They aren't ripping you off. I bought my 3G in July 2008 and paid $499 for the 3GS last month. The phones are subsidized and they can sell them for a reduced price because they gradually recouperate their loss over a 1 to 2 year period. If your monthly bill is less than $100, it takes them longer to recoup the loss. That's the boat you and I are in. they offered an early full subsidized pricing for those that were eligible in July, Aug, and Sept around release day of the 3GS, but that offer has expired. It wouldn't have helped you anyway since you weren't eligible until winter time. Just pay the $400/$500. It's worth it!

Saurabh

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
VA
I pay 140+ a month. And i do not want to use another person's upgrade on my line. Its their upgrade, not mine. Plus the soonest date there is to upgrade is in December. What was all that nonsense about ATT allowing 3g customers to get the 3gs at the cheap price?

Saurabh

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
VA
WOW sorry i ment to say AUGUST 2008 is when i bought the 3G. I will edit that right now.

ALSO the whole pony up the cash idea. I HAVE BEEN A LOYAL Apple customer for the last 3+ years. I pay more than 140+ a month to ATT and have 5 lines. Its barbaric that they are treating a long time customer like this. However I will call Apple tomorrow morning and see what they say.

krypto

Bronze
Feb 18, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I pay 140+ a month. And i do not want to use another person's upgrade on my line. Its their upgrade, not mine. Plus the soonest date there is to upgrade is in December. What was all that nonsense about ATT allowing 3g customers to get the 3gs at the cheap price?
Well, if you don't use a different line to get the upgrade you'll just have to pay the $399 or $499 price. No way around that, and there's no use crying about it.

bass_lover1

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
Not trying to be rude, but ATT didn't have to do ANYTHING for the 3G customers that wanted to upgrade. They were nice to offer the full upgrade price to 3G owners that were IIRC 2-3 months away from the regular 18 month before you can upgrade time limit.

I understand you've been a loyal customer, and I'm sure they appreciate that, but they don't HAVE to do anything, it's pretty standard practice in the mobile phone industry to offer upgrade pricing around 18 months into your contract, and since you aren't at that point yet, they aren't going to offer it to you.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
There were 3 criteria you needed to meet in order to upgrade at the 12 month mark.

They are:
1. You had to buy the 3g in July, August, September of last year.
2. Your bill has to be in good standing
3. Your bill has to exceed $100 before taxes on ONE line, not multiple lines combined.

Trust me, I was ticked too...and still am a bit. I live alone and only have one line of service. My bill is over $100, after taxes, but not before. I tried to fight it, they didn't care.

Sorry. :(

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
FlwrPwer is correct. Your line alone must be > $100 a month to qualify for upgrade after 12 months. Again, you aren't getting ripped off. You just don't qualify for the highest discount. You do still qualify for a discount though. The full cost is $600/700. Once you understand how the subsidation works, you will see that there is nothing barbaric about it. I admit that the pricing is a little confusing and leads to people feeling like they are getting ripped off, but it's far from the truth.

Saurabh

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
VA
Hmm well i understand what you guys are saying. I did buy my iPhone in august and however I don't think my line alone adds up to 100 dollars. So I guess I will hold off until i am fully eligible or just bite the bullet. Flower Power, thats the answer i was looking for, i was unaware that it was your line alone. I know the "EArly" price is worth it beacause i have ad an iPhone for the last 3 years.

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
WOW sorry i ment to say AUGUST 2008 is when i bought the 3G. I will edit that right now.

ALSO the whole pony up the cash idea. I HAVE BEEN A LOYAL Apple customer for the last 3+ years. I pay more than 140+ a month to ATT and have 5 lines. Its barbaric that they are treating a long time customer like this. However I will call Apple tomorrow morning and see what they say.
Who cares if you're a loyal customer? They have millions of loyal customers. I pay over $140 a month for just my 1 line and I still didn't get the $199/299 pricing. It's not barbaric at all, you're just a cheap S.O.*.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
There are plenty if truly loyal customers who just paid the 399-499 early upgrade price. As much as I love Apple they did price the phone at 599-699, AT&T is the one doing us a favor if you really look at.

biggrumpy

Nov 30, 2008
i had one month out of the last 13 that my part of our Family plan was under $100 because i took my 3G data plan off when my phone was killed. because of that, i was not eligible for the full discount. and no amount of complaining will change their mind. if I had continued to pay for a 3G data plan that I wasn't using for a month and a half, i could have qualified. i was ticked off, but i understand that businesss is businesss and rules are rules, but, not being independently wealthy, i cannot "bite the bullet" and throw $400 at a phone. I am eligible in Jan 2010, and I will wait until June 2010, because you know there will be a new iPhone next summer, and people that bought the 3GS will complain because they just upgraded in 09 and they have to pay $400 for the next "latest and greatest" iPhone. by next June, all 4 of our lines will be eligible for upgrade, so if i have an extra $1000, I'll buy 4 of them and ebay them.

Saurabh

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
VA
Who cares if you're a loyal customer? They have millions of loyal customers. I pay over $140 a month for just my 1 line and I still didn't get the $199/299 pricing. It's not barbaric at all, you're just a cheap S.O.*.
Thanks for the insults. I rather not pay money towards something that i do not need to. However I see where you are coming from and I will get the 3Gs not matter what, But i do appreciate your thoughtful responses.:)

Saurabh

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
VA
biggrumpy i see where your coming from, however I am a iPhone customer for life, and i made this thread to vent in the middle of the night after getting off the phone with buesnesscare. I would buy and sell the iPhone unlocked however the phone is just too good to leave. I wish things would have went as smooth as last years transistion from the 2G to the 3G. The 200 dollar price point is what cought my eye and some of us are not as weathly as other characters on this site who arnt just cheap S.O.*.

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
You can always threaten to leave. I know plenty of people that get results from AT&T when they threaten to move to t-mobile or any other company at that. Talking to them in person helps as well. Just be nice. I know there are people in the forum that have gotten upgrades earlier than they should have.

Saurabh

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
VA
You can always threaten to leave. I know plenty of people that get results from AT&T when they threaten to move to t-mobile or any other company at that. Talking to them in person helps as well. Just be nice. I know there are people in the forum that have gotten upgrades earlier than they should have.
That does work but they know that i am in no position to cancel my account because id have to pay early termination for 5 lines. But yes thanks for all your responses people. I figure something out. I think ill just end up paying the 400 dollar price and call it a day, or should i say a year until the next one comes out. :cool:

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
i had one month out of the last 13 that my part of our Family plan was under $100 because i took my 3G data plan off when my phone was killed. because of that, i was not eligible for the full discount. and no amount of complaining will change their mind. if I had continued to pay for a 3G data plan that I wasn't using for a month and a half, i could have qualified. i was ticked off, but i understand that businesss is businesss and rules are rules, but, not being independently wealthy, i cannot "bite the bullet" and throw $400 at a phone. I am eligible in Jan 2010, and I will wait until June 2010, because you know there will be a new iPhone next summer, and people that bought the 3GS will complain because they just upgraded in 09 and they have to pay $400 for the next "latest and greatest" iPhone. by next June, all 4 of our lines will be eligible for upgrade, so if i have an extra $1000, I'll buy 4 of them and ebay them.
i am well aware and willing to pay for the iPhone at an early upgrade every year. i know we all remember when the first iPhone was announced at $600, anything under that is a blessing in my opinion.