Sad to see my LTE mini go!

Discussion in 'iPad 4' started by raqball, Feb 12, 2013.

1. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I have had my LTE mini since it was released (it was a pre-order) but a friend of mine wants to trade her iPad 4 for it and I said yes.

I will still have my WiFi only mini and wonder if I will really miss the LTE on the mini I am trading. I honestly only used the LTE on it maybe 3 or 4 times and could have survived just fine in the situations were it was used if I did not have it..

I previously had an iPad 3 and liked it well enough other than that thing got HOT!

Does the iPad 4 become a hot plate like the 3? She said hers never even gets warm.

So sadly my LTE mini will be on its way to a new home shortly..

Good trade or bad trade? Her iPad 4 is 16GB Wifi only and my mini is 16GB AT&T LTE..

2. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I did the trade.. Happy with the iPad 4 and still have my wifi mini but I'm thinking going back to retina is going to ruin the mini for me...

So far no hot plate / heat issues with the 4..

3. runningbear30

runningbear30 Member
    Bronze

Myself I don't think I could deal with a smaller screen of the Mini. I really like my wifi only iPad4.

4. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I don't think you'll miss the 4G + WiFi mini since you already have the WiFi Mini. The Retina on the iPad 4 will spoil you and you'll definitely see the difference.

5. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I had the iPad 3 and did enjoy the retina. I sold it for the mini and after a few days of only using the mini my eyes adjusted to the lack of retina and I didn't miss it one bit..

Now after a day of using the iPad 4 and a retina display again my mini looks horrid!

I guess the key to accepting the lower res display on the mini is to not use or touch an iPad with retina..

Having both side by side or using the iPad 4 and then using the mini, it is very noticeable..

Now I'm not even sure if I want to keep the mini as my eyes have again became spoiled by the retina..

6. runningbear30

runningbear30 Member
    Bronze

If the Mini were in the say $200US range it would not be such a problem but it's not. and the iPad4 for many even the lowest memory unit, is a big investment. so these items weigh on a choice.

7. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

The LTE mini was mine and the wifi mini was my sons but he said he didn't want it a few weeks ago so I have been deciding what to do with it..

I was planning on keeping the wifi only after I traded my LTE mini but now I'm not so sure..

Funny how the retina can really spoil you once you become accustomed to it..

I will give it a few weeks and see where I am at then..

I love the size, weight and portability of the mini but now this darn retina has my eyes doing a happy-happy-joy-joy dance again...

8. runningbear30

runningbear30 Member
    Bronze

I have a HD TV in living room and a standard TV in my Den. Until getting the HD TV the standard TV was great, today the non HD TV sets unused. My iPad2 is now in my bath room, just use it to maybe check CNN news reports. My iPad4 sits next to me in my living room. Once you start getting used to that new retina screen, you don't want to go back to the standard screens.

9. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Just wait a few month and get the 2nd gen mini and problem solved :D

Sent using iCafe app

10. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1360771613.183947.jpg :D

Sent using iCafe app

11. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

True if it happens..

I'm not so sure a retina mini will be the next one. I can see Apple upgrading everything but the display on the next mini and saving a retina mini for 2014..

I am always wrong so we shall see. But an iPad mini with retina would definitely be a win win..

12. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I don't remember where I read it but plans for a mini with retina was making its rounds around the net.

Sent using iCafe app

13. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Well after a few days of using both the iPad 4 and the iPad mini I have decided to sell my wifi only mini..

Going from the iPad 4 retina to the mini non retina is causing havoc on my eyes!

When I used the mini as a stand alone my eyes adjusted and I didn't really miss the retina at all but after a few days of going from retina to non retina and vise versa I can't stand it any more!

The retina definitely spoils you and once you become accustomed to it, every thing else is ruined! Lind of like SD and HD TV..

Had I not touched another retina I'm sure I'd still be more than happy with the mini but now that I have the iPad 4 the mini screen just ain't cutting it for me anymore..

Don't get me wrong the mini rocks but the key to being happy with it is to not have an iPad 3 or 4 close by for use.

Maybe Apple will release a retina mini later this year and if the do, I will pre-order the second it hits online!

14. glsda

glsda Zealot
    Gold

Very interesting. I did virtually the same thing as you raqball and am perfectly content to leave my iPad 3 on my reading stand next to my chair and use it there, it's a brick compared to the mini IMHO. The mini goes everywhere with me.It's wifi and lte and I use both. My next iPad will be the mini when it upgrades to the retina dispaly. To each his own.

15. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Yes it is a brick when compared to the mini but the screen difference is killing me!

I can't switch back and forth between the 2 as it make the screen on the mini look bad..

Apple really likes messing with my head! I love the size, weight, and portability of the mini but the retina on the 4 keeps my eyes happy..

I should have just stuck with my mini only as like I said, my eyes had adjusted to its lower res screen.. Getting the iPad 4 was a bad idea because now I can't stand to look at the mini's screen.

Darn you Apple! :-p

16. glsda

glsda Zealot
    Gold

I understand. I use the mini when out and about and the 3 at the house. Otherwise I would have the same issues.