Safari and Maps crash like MAD

jsskateboarder

Bronze
Mar 14, 2008
Texas
Is this normal..? This is the second time I've had to type all of this because Safari crashed before I could hit submit. This NEVER happened when I used my iPod touch.. Its not a huge tragedy but it is kinda embarrasing when I'm showing off my phone and it suddenly goes to my home screen.. I have NOT jailbroken btw.

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
Did you try any of the following? soft restart, hard restart, reset, restore.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Is this normal..? This is the second time I've had to type all of this because Safari crashed before I could hit submit. This NEVER happened when I used my iPod touch.. Its not a huge tragedy but it is kinda embarrasing when I'm showing off my phone and it suddenly goes to my home screen.. I have NOT jailbroken btw.
Safari crashing on me is not unusual. After all, it's a computer, and we are probably filling up some register with 0s and 1s to choke point. Just have to reopen Safari and start again. It may help if you close other open Safari pages, clear your cache and browsing history. If you are a Cookie Monster, might want to think about doing away with those. That might be a pain, but if it works...

jsskateboarder

Bronze
Mar 14, 2008
Texas
Did you try any of the following? soft restart, hard restart, reset, restore.
mm I'm gonna say no because I don't know the difference between a soft or hard restart.. I just turned it off and back on for the first time since I got my phone last week.. We'll see if that helps..

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
mm I'm gonna say no because I don't know the difference between a soft or hard restart.. I just turned it off and back on for the first time since I got my phone last week.. We'll see if that helps..
Soft reset is holding the home button for several seconds until the unresponsive application quits. A hard reset occurs when you hold the home button and the sleep/power button next to the sim tray until the white Apple appears. A "hard" reset is the same as rebooting.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I just turned it off and back on for the first time since I got my phone last week.. We'll see if that helps..
That should help a lot. This should be done every 2-3 days. Also like others have said, clear the history-cookies-cache every few also.

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
If the soft and hard reset won't work, I recommend to restore to its original settings.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Just hold down the "Lock" button until you get the "Slide to Power OFF" screen. Slide and power off the phone. Start it back up by holding the "Lock" button again. You'll get the white Apple logo. IF you'll do that once a week, it will reduce the crashing. Most people on put the phone to sleep by clicking the "Lock" button and they never actually shut the phone down like they should.

Good luck.