Safari annoyance

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
So basically I have a week 44 iPhone with a jailbroken 1.1.2, and I am probably going to go 1.1.3 soon, because it seems really nice with bug fixes.

Sometimes when Safari loads a page, and it is done, sometimes I CANNOT PRESS ANY LINKS AT ALL. I can zoom, unzoom, flick up and down, and I can go back and refresh, but I cannot press any links. usually I solve this by closing the tab I was in and then opening a new one.

but I was just wondering. has this been fixed in 1.1.3?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cloverfield

Bronze
Jan 16, 2008
UK, Kent
www.CloverfieldMovieForum.com
what up

so basically I have a wk 44 iPhone with a jailbroken 1.1.2, and I am probably going to go 1.1.3 soon, because it seems really nice with bug fixes.

but anyway, sometimes, when safari loads a page, and it is done, sometimes I CANNOT PRESS ANY LINKS AT ALL. I can zoom, unzoom, flick up and down, and I can go back and refresh, but I cannot press any links. usually I solve this by closing the tab I was in and then opening a new one.

but I was just wondering. has this been fixed in 1.1.3?
The quick answer is...no.

Unfortunately this still happeneds. To fix it, press the very top of the screen so the url box comes down and then click the blue GO button. Clicking the refresh button doesn't work you have to click the blue button.

Another annoying thing is when a page has loaded and everything and then all of a sudden it will go back to the iPhones home page even though i havn't pressed the home button. VERY annoying squirk.

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
What I still hate, even with the introduction of springboard web apps, is that Safari does not maintain persistent data. If I am in the middle of reading a news article and have to do something else for a few minutes in another app, relaunching safari will also refresh the page I was just viewing 90% of the time. This is tragic on sites like Modmyifone where it can take up to 5 minutes for a page to load over Edge.

I think I'm going to send a PM to BigBoss and ask if he can tinker with Safari and disable its "ROBOTS" and "META" rules so that pages can be set to never expire, which is what I'm assuming is also part of the problem here. Some sites set their content to expire after you've read it, so that if any new content is added the browser will see it the next time it loads the page, instead of displaying an outdated cached version.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
I have upgraded (Nate's method)
and it is still there.

listen, does anyone think that with the release of the SDK, we will see another browser?

I want FIREFOX. I never liked safari.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I think Mobile Safari is excellent. Don't like Safari too much on a PC (maybe it's great on a Mac). Firefox had been my preferred browser for a long time, until last week I finally go round to trying Flock. Flock is my favorite now, although I still run FF sometimes just for its extensions ...

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
I stopped using Firefox on PC when version 2 came out and they decided that a 300 meg memory footprint was OK...

I love waiting for my disk cache to clear that beast when I close a tab... Not.

I switched to Safari soon after, and prefer its rendering speed to anything else available. I like having my fonts aliased as well, something I could only get from IE which I avoid like the plague.

The switch to Mac was simple since I was already getting used to the workflow.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I stopped using Firefox on PC when version 2 came out and they decided that a 300 meg memory footprint was OK...

I love waiting for my disk cache to clear that beast when I close a tab... Not.

I switched to Safari soon after, and prefer its rendering speed to anything else available. I like having my fonts aliased as well, something I could only get from IE which I avoid like the plague.

The switch to Mac was simple since I was already getting used to the workflow.
Yeah, Firefox's resource hit had been huge lately for me, although admittedly while running a good number of extensions. Flock is just much quicker to work with and I like some of its built-in social tools.

IE avoid like the plague = that sounds right ...

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
IE.. oh my god msoft just doesn't give up does it?

MEMO : MICROSOFT - NOBODY CARES ABOUT IE7. SORRY.