Safari crashing a lot

gotpancakes

Bronze
Nov 24, 2007
Anyone know of a good reason y safari is starting to crash on me ALOT lately in the past few days? I'm on 1.1.4 and non-jailbroken , I treat this phone like a baby. Just can't see. A reason y.
would clearing cache or just turning it off help its been a few since of dobe that

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Here are some suggestions from the following link:

http://www.iphoneatlas.com/2007/07/20/special-report-troubleshooting-iphone-application-crashes/

http://adlog.com.com/adlog/i/r=1243...//i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/Ads/common/dotclear.gif

Because of the largely seamless experience, it’s sometimes easy to forget that the iPhone is actually a miniature OS X computer, with real applications that are susceptible to the same unexpected quits and general freezes as their desktop brethren.

The most common iPhone crash is one where the application you are working in suddenly ceases operation, the screen momentarily turns black, then the iPhone home screen appears. In a slightly more serious manifestation, the crash will result in a complete freeze where the iPhone is unresponsive.
Preventing crashes As previously reported, the most crash-prone application on the iPhone is Safari, with Google Maps being a close second. Several readers have reported, and we’ve experienced many times in-house, an issue where Safari suddenly quits when attempting to load Web pages or when scrolling/zooming Web pages.
Crashes are most likely to occur when loading graphics-heavy pages, or those with large (in terms of file size) images. We’ve also noted repeated crashes when using the iPod function in the background then browsing pages with Safari.
There are a few preventative measures for these types of crashes.
  • Safari-specific: clear cache, cookies, history Try these options first if you are seeing repeated crashes in Safari. Safari for the iPhone doesn’t have a very aggressive caching mechanism, but sometimes clearing it can trigger stubborn pages to load. Cookies can also become problematic. Delete them and re-try loading the page(s). Finally, deleting History can be effective on the Desktop versions of Safari, and may also be so on the iPhone. All of these items can be cleared by using the Settings application then tapping Safari.
  • Full reboot Perform a hard reboot of your iPhone as follows: Turn the iPhone off completely, by pressing and holding the Sleep/Wake button (on top of the device) for a few seconds then slide the red slider. Turn it back on by holding the Sleep/Wake button until the Apple logo appears. This can clear potentially problematic data, preventing some crash-types.
  • Keep adequate free space on the iPhone’s internal memory Like its desktop relative Mac OS X, the iPhone’s OS X operating system needs some head-room on the internal flash memory in order to operate properly. Try keeping at least 10% of the total space free to potentially prevent some crashes in applications, freezes and other problems.
  • Restore the iPhone Try performing a restore of your iPhone. Connect it to your Mac or PC and, in iTunes, click the Restore button under the Summary tab. Restoring the phone will erase contacts, calendars, photos and other data on the phone, but will restore automatically backed-up information including text messages, notes, call history, contact favorites, sound settings, widget settings, etc.
  • Erase all content and settings As a last resort, go to the Settings application, tap General then select the Erase All Content and Settings. This will delete all media and data on the iPhone, as well as recent calls, etc., and all other settings. If you perform this operation and stop experiencing crashes, you might have problematic data being synchronized to the iPhone that is automatically put back when the phone is restored. In this case, you might want to go to iTunes, select Preferences from the File menu, then iPhone and delete your backed up iPhone settings — this includes text messages, notes, call history, contact favorites, sound settings, widget settings. Again, one or more of these data might be problematic.

Last edited by a moderator:

jsskateboarder

Bronze
Mar 14, 2008
Texas
Anyone know of a good reason y safari is starting to crash on me ALOT lately in the past few days? I'm on 1.1.4 and non-jailbroken , I treat this phone like a baby. Just can't see. A reason y.
would clearing cache or just turning it off help its been a few since of dobe that
All you gotta do is turn your phone off and back on..... Do this every few days and you wont run into this problem.