Safari differences from my desktop version

rfresh

Aug 25, 2008
I have a web app that uses listboxes - when I run my web app on my windows PC using Safari 3.0.4 the list boxes are 'open' with 8 items showing in the list.
I just bought an iPhone 3G and when I use that Safari on this same website, the list boxes are shown as dropdown lists and when I touch one of them with my finger, it opens up but closes quickly and I can't make a selection.
Does anyone know why the list boxes on the iPhone Safari display as dropdowns? Is this a Safari verison difference from the one I use with my windows PC vs the Safari in iPhone?

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
It could be that the website is different for mobile users. A lot of websites do this. I know that the MSN website is a lot different on my desktop than on my iPhone. They give you watered down versions of the actual website.

rfresh

Aug 25, 2008
Not in this case as it's my own site. I'm doing some tests now using the SELECT tag and I put in SIZE="4" and in my desktop Safari browser it displays 4 listbox items as expected. When I run the same file on my iPhone Safari the list is a dropdown. Maybe I'll figure out what kind of code I need to use to get the dropdowns to 'open up' with the SIZE="4" attribute on the iPhone. Kind of frustrating.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
Oh, then I don't know. I haven't had any problems with safari on my iPhone in that way....

Wish I could help :(

rfresh

Aug 25, 2008
It looks like the iPhone ver of Sarfari 'forces' listboxes to become the dropdown type to save screen space. I don't know why Apple would force this type of HTML behavior. They should have at least given us a config setting to control this.