Safari + EDGE --> no incoming calls?

iphonix

Jul 1, 2007
Hey Everyone-

Wondering if anyone can comment on this:

When I am using the EDGE network (Surfing with safari or using the email app), incoming calls do NOT ring on the phone and instead go straight to voicemail. I can receive incoming calls while using the net if I have a WiFi connection.

Anyone else have this problem? Make sure your WiFi is turned off so you are definitely on the EDGE network...that's where it seems to be an issue.

This seems to be a pretty big problem...this thing is first and foremost a phone, and a fancy web browser and email app don't do anything for me if I miss all the calls that come in while I'm using them.

cman6453

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I just tried it and calls are coming in fine. When I hang up from the inbound phone, the iPhone reverts back to the page I was viewing.

iphonix

Jul 1, 2007
I just tried it and calls are coming in fine. When I hang up from the inbound phone, the iPhone reverts back to the page I was viewing.
Are you 100% sure you're on the EDGE network and not on WiFi? It works fine for me on WiFi, but the phone won't ring if I am surfing or emailing via EDGE. I really, really hope you are right, b/c if this problem is isolated to my phone, I can take it back and exchange it. If it's a problem for all iPhones, that would be much more disappointing.

coolpox003

Bronze
Jun 18, 2007
League City, TX
www.myspace.com
I know that if you're talking to someone on the phone and you want to send them a picture via email while on the phone or surf safari and your on EDGE it tells you that it can't do it.... I'm not sure about the other way around though.... but I presume it's probably the same...

theraker007

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
its not that much of a problem, i mean, who bought an iPhone to talk?

seriously, have u tried calling Apple tech support?

synergyuk

Jul 4, 2007
i read it in another post on here a few days back where someone else had the same problem. they rang Apple and Apple confirmed this was default on the iPhone something to do with getting maximum bandwith for Edge

iphonix

Jul 1, 2007
Haven't tried calling Apple tech support yet...will do that after the holiday. Just found out about this issue late last night, so I haven't gotten a chance yet. I did write their iPhone feedback email and let them know that I thought it was pretty crazy to have a phone that can't answer phone calls if you're typing an email...that doesn't seem to 'smart' to me.

Zachary Vex

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Minneapolis
As with so many other issues/glitches that appear in the iPhone, perhaps the first thing to do is a complete shutdown and restart. Hold the sleep/wake button until you get the power down screen and turn the phone completely off. Then turn it back on and see if the problem is still present.

iphonix

Jul 1, 2007
OK...yes, this is a problem.

"From the iPhone manual:
===========
Note: While iPhone is actively transferring data over EDGE—downloading a webpage, for example—you may not be able to receive calls. Incoming calls may go to voicemail.
==========="

there's an in-depth discussion on this problem here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=3859183

IMHO, this is a SERIOUS problem for many people. I can afford to miss a call or two when I'm surfing, but I have a friend who is a surgeon who was planning on using his phone as his primary phone. Now, he can't ever surf the web or check email, b/c if the phone moves from WiFi to EDGE he may miss a potentially critical phone call.

Apple should at least make it an option make phone calls the priority over EDGE. If this means no email or web browser over EDGE, so be it...if this thing can't answer phone calls, its not much of a phone.

Zachary Vex

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Minneapolis
There may be limitations with the technology but that doesn't mean there's something wrong with the design. It simply becomes the user's responsibility to check his voicemail regularly when surfing using edge.

iphonix

Jul 1, 2007
There may be limitations with the technology but that doesn't mean there's something wrong with the design. It simply becomes the user's responsibility to check his voicemail regularly when surfing using edge.
I agree...I'm not saying that it's Apple's fault that the iPhone can't simultaneously use EDGE for data and voice. That seems to be a problem with all phones that run on EDGE. OTOH, it will be nice when we get to the point when we can do data and calls at the same time on wireless...b/c it certainly feels a lot like the dial-up days where if you were online nobody could get a hold of you.

Jul 1, 2007
Edge network cannot handle simultaneous voice and data. 3G brings you that capability. Since the iPhone only supports Edge, your incoming calls will go straight to voicemail when you're surfing using Edge. If you're using Wifi, you can receive calls.

cman6453

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Are you 100% sure you're on the EDGE network and not on WiFi? It works fine for me on WiFi, but the phone won't ring if I am surfing or emailing via EDGE. I really, really hope you are right, b/c if this problem is isolated to my phone, I can take it back and exchange it. If it's a problem for all iPhones, that would be much more disappointing.
What I did in my test was bring up a website, left it up and made a call from the other phone. Technically I wasn't really on the network so that's why it worked.

jettie's post is correct. That's what the problem is and not your phone. The EDGE limitation has been known since the inception of EDGE so it's not a new issue. As for the dial up days, I guess it's all relative. As soon as 3G comes online, there will be some limitation for that as well. I can already tell you one, it DRAINS the battery (Think Black Jack and it's power issues. Why do you think it came with 2 batteries?) because of the convenience of being able to do multi-task. Ironic isn't it?

I believe when you're typing up that email you're connected to your account and "online" so that's why your calls go to voicemail. On the iPhone I don't believe it's possible to be sending an email AND make a phone call at the same time. Thank goodness for the visual voicemail though, huh? At least that call you didn't get doesn't require you to dial up voicemail, entire your passcode, type 1 to play, 3 to delete, blah, blah, blah...OH the tragedy! :) Visual voicemail...now that's some awesome technology! Come to think of it, the limitation of the EDGE network probably drove that technology and we're all lucky enough to be on the cutting EDGE. Wow, another irony. LOL!

Happy fourth of July all!

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
think of it as dial up can't make calls and use web . It is one signal , wifi browsing allows you to make calls

itiatwt

Jul 6, 2007
EDGE blocks calls

That's the one problem I have with EDGE and why I avoid it. My other phone is the Samsung Blackjack and I listen to online radio and also use my Slingbox to watch live video on it. When I'm expecting a call I force it to only work on the 3G network, not only is it faster, but I will also be able to get calls. It will interrupt the online radio station and ring, then after the call it will automatically resume streaming the 'net radio station. When I'm on EDGE it goes to voicemail when I'm listening to the various online radio stations.