Safari Icon: Work in Progress - Help!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I'm currently working on a new Safari icon and could use a little feedback.

I like the way its shaping up, but I'm not sure that it's done just yet, perhaps you can help. Do the colors "POP" enough to you? That's what I'm having problems with, that and if my mask looks "African" enough.

Anyway, I've remade the default Safari icon as well incase you want to go back. I don't know why but I can't transfer the stock icons, they're always corrupted :( I spent most of my time redoing this STOCK safari icon than I spent on my own version, lol!

I'm using on the Text Edit application here in this example because I didn't want to have to redo my dock skin yet:

Here's the work in progress:

and here's the stock icon so u can go back:

Attachments

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Thank you kindly, but have you any critique of this icon? I would greatly appreciate it! Please don't hold back, if you think something could look better please let it be known! :)

I'm going to tweak the colors some today and try out a different mask. The problem is the "real" African masks don't look like the kind us westerners are familiar with, we're more used to what cartoons have shown us. I kid you not, I tried real masks and they looked like Tiki-heads just sitting there...

I'm going to try and look through more of Disney's interpretation of African masks, they're a "little" more accurate, but still retain a simple design we're used to seeing.

I literally made that mask from scratch, and I can't stop seeing it as a Tiki mask either... :( I think I had that guy in my mind from those old T&C shirts when I was a kid, there was one character that had a mask on.

Actually, now that I look at that little guy, Tiki Masks are totally different that what I made... Phew...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ea/T&C_Surf_Designs_Cartridge.JPG

Stevonw

Silver
Sep 14, 2007
UK
Thank you kindly, but have you any critique of this icon? I would greatly appreciate it! Please don't hold back, if you think something could look better please let it be known! :)

I'm going to tweak the colors some today and try out a different mask. The problem is the "real" African masks don't look like the kind us westerners are familiar with, we're more used to what cartoons have shown us. I kid you not, I tried real masks and they looked like Tiki-heads just sitting there...

I'm going to try and look through more of Disney's interpretation of African masks, they're a "little" more accurate, but still retain a simple design we're used to seeing.

I literally made that mask from scratch, and I can't stop seeing it as a Tiki mask either... :( I think I had that guy in my mind from those old T&C shirts when I was a kid, there was one character that had a mask on.

Actually, now that I look at that little guy, Tiki Masks are totally different that what I made... Phew...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ea/T&C_Surf_Designs_Cartridge.JPG
I think you should perhaps change the background colour as it is too similar to the mask :mad:

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Excellent. I thought the same thing, but if you could believe it, this is the 3rd color variant I have tried :p

I'll get there, and I'm relieved to know I wasn't just being picky, but that background color does in fact have the problem u mention.

I think the problem may be the zebra print I am trying to use in the background. I'll try a few things.

Stevonw

Silver
Sep 14, 2007
UK
lol meant to ask, have you bee3n playing a load of Bioshock lately with the "Thank you kindly" ?

"Would you kindly" change the colour of the background please ;)

lol :p perhaps ive played it 2much and am imagining things lol :laugh2:

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
lol meant to ask, have you bee3n playing a load of Bioshock lately with the "Thank you kindly" ?

"Would you kindly" change the colour of the background please ;)

lol :p perhaps ive played it 2much and am imagining things lol :laugh2:
i can tell i played too much bioshock when i understand what your talking about :p

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Lol, now you know why I'm purposely avoiding that game right now ;)

I'm redoing things, but I've got to leave to handle some businesss with the lady, she's returning her smartphone because she hates my iPhone. I'm sure that makes sense to other women.

Anyway, here's where I left off, I'm redoing the mask, I've got a quick pixel sketch of what im planning on doing, but more may change later.