Safari in iOS 9 Clears Cookies And Website Data When Clearing History

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by Kadelic, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I noticed something odd while using Safari in iOS 9 today that hasn't been an issue in previous versions of iOS. I cleared my browsing history and had to log back into a couple of websites that I frequent, including this forum. The passwords were still saved in Keychain, but I still had to log back in. Then I noticed the fine print that was added to the pop-up menu when you select "clear" when viewing the browsing history.

image.png

This is rather annoying and is not a bug as I first suspected. I checked all the settings I could think of and couldn't find a solution. What Apple is trying to accomplish with this new "feature" is beyond me. There's a thread concerning this issue in the Apple Support forum, at least I know I'm not the only one confused by this.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I had not noticed this yet. I just tested it and had to log back in as well. It sounds like a bug. Be sure to submit feedback to Apple.

3. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I don't see a specific feedback link for iOS in general or for iOS Safari so I submitted it under iPhone feedback. Is this the correct link? http://www.apple.com/feedback/

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That one was originally intended for betas and used to only be open to developers a year ago. I used it last year out of desperation after failing to get timely resolution with the feedback site. It was regarding a problem that had been occurring since iOS 8.0 and had not been fixed with at least two iOS updates. While I did actually get a reply, it was absurd. They clearly only skimmed my report and they asked questions that I had already answered. They suggested that I perform some impossible tasks, such as record video of my screen 24/7 until the problem, which sometimes only happened once per day, occurred and then submit the video. I continued to submit feedback despite the ridiculous nature of their replies because any reply seemed better than nothing, but they were unable to answer basic questions that anyone in iOS development should know. The worst part of all of this was that they were unaware that Apple already had a bug fix for the problem I was referring to. If they had known, they could have simply stated that it was a known problem has been addressed and fixed in the upcoming iOS update. Instead, they implied that the problem had never been reported to them, which increased my frustration immensely.

I recommend going with the regular feedback site, selecting the "bug report" option, being very thorough since you won't get a reply, and then continue to submit the feedback monthly until the problem is resolved.

7. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Oh wow, that's insane! Who do they have manning that site? I would go with the regular feedback site too, after reading about that.