Safari is awesome now! (1.13)

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
This might actually get some modders to go stock. Safari finally works right. No more forgetting urls...haven't been able to crash it yet...and pages are loading faster for me. To me, this is the best part of 1.13.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Agreed with all of the above. It's definitely zippier... I'm sensitive to times that I'm waiting for my computers, and I don't feel that nearly as much now moving around in Safari. Just try zooming in... it definitely re-renders noticeably faster...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Ok, here's a routine that I can DEFINITELY say is faster for me...

launch Safari
open bookmarks
launch EIC (which goes to advanced search)
hit stop as soon as the search bars load
tap the user search bar
wait for it to "re-render" before I can type
type "psylichon"
hit search

1.1.3 shaved a couple seconds off this common routine I do every day (even without taking advantage of home screen bookmarks!), so I know I'm not imagining it. The major slowdowns that seem to have been solved are stopping a page from loading and zooming/re-rendering.

Maybe I'm just overly sensitive to these sorts of things, but I just LOVE when I can notice efficiency improvements in updates that go relatively unannounced. Obviously, the coders at Apple care about what they put out.

kimo

Bronze
Aug 7, 2007
And you can also add web icon to one of your 9 pages to go quickly to several of your favorite web sites like icafe.

:cool:

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Just try zooming in... it definitely re-renders noticeably faster...
Yep...like twice as fast.

But...have you noticed the delete button is less controllable?

For example, if you quote someones post, and hold down the delete button(but not long enough for it to go to the whole word delete) it will keep deleting for about 4 characters after you lift your finger.

ZodiacfreaK

Bronze
Jan 11, 2007
Thats good to hear that it is more stable, I am still running 1.0.2. I really need to upgrade, but I am just lazy, I know I can.

PhilipJohn

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
Bronx, New York
One thing I do notice though is, having all these links on the home page, you get to your eight page safari limit pretty quick. Even if you already have that page previously loaded in Safari, and you hit one of your web clips, it opens an entirely new page. But given that the other issues in Safari were solved this is really no big deal.

oxdottir

Jan 16, 2008
Why am I the only one having problems? Since 1.1.3, safari tells me it can't load the page because it can't find the server constantly--especially if there is any variability in my wireless source, I think. Things used to work every where in my house, extremely reliably. Now, from my bedroom, I might as well not have an iPhone if what I wanted to do was to get email or visit the web. This is frustrating the hell out of me, and no one else is mentioning it.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Why am I the only one having problems? Since 1.1.3, safari tells me it can't load the page because it can't find the server constantly--especially if there is any variability in my wireless source, I think. Things used to work every where in my house, extremely reliably. Now, from my bedroom, I might as well not have an iPhone if what I wanted to do was to get email or visit the web. This is frustrating the hell out of me, and no one else is mentioning it.

Are you on edge or wifi?

Rockky

Bronze
Aug 8, 2007
I don't think it has anything to do with 1.1.3....but the fact that it always regains 'zippiness' after a restore/upgrade.

dwp1975

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Rockville, MD
I was just getting this error myself while I was out running errands. Am I going to need to restore the device? :mad:

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
Do you think the rendering time has been increased with the update? Is that even possible just from a software update?