Safari Privacy Issue: How do you clear the Google search dropdown?

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
When you enter something in the Google search field, the iPhone keeps a record of that search for awhile in case you want to pull it up again. Handy. But what if you don't want your girlfriend seeing that you searched for "diamond engagement rings?" How do you clear that list of suggestions?

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
settings > safari

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
When you enter something in the Google search field, the iPhone keeps a record of that search for awhile in case you want to pull it up again. Handy. But what if you don't want your girlfriend seeing that you searched for "Amish Chics Gone Wild?" How do you clear that list of suggestions?
fixed:p

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
settings > safari
Yeah, i made that assumption too, but I actually tried it. Clearing the history doesn't affect this list. There is nothing in settings that says anything about clearing forms or pulldowns or anything like that.

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Yeah, i made that assumption too, but I actually tried it. Clearing the history doesn't affect this list. There is nothing in settings that says anything about clearing forms or pulldowns or anything like that.
History is websites you have visited, Cookies is "things" you have typed in...try cleaning this also in your Settings!

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Cookies are most definitely not things that I have typed in. Cookies are things that websites have stored on my iPhone. Nevertheless, of course I tried that! Have you? Has anyone actually tried to clear this data?

What good is having the ability to wipe the history off of the iPhone (when the iPhone doesn't store the history anyway) when all someone has to do is type one freaking letter to find out what you searched for?

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I know I've done it before, I just don't remember how. Maybe its the cache.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Did you really do it? I tried the cache too. Nothing worked. Maybe for you a bug caused Safari to LOSE the data and you coincidentally didn't notice until you cleared the cache. But how to get Safari to lose the data at will... that is the question.

Anyone care to try again?

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
No I'm like 80% sure I've done it before. I cleared all 3 of those because I wasn't sure which one would do it. I thought it was history. Then again It was probably back when I was on 1.1.4.

UPDATE: I just cleared all three again and it worked. Your phone is F-ed.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Hey man, if you complained about me all the time, I wouldn't want to hang out long with you, either. ;)

Just kidding, of course, you do seem to have horrible luck in iPhones. What OS version are you running? Have you tried restoring? Extreme, I know, just curious...

gkf9

Bronze
Oct 8, 2008
Thank you.Well, that is certain. All of my iPhones have been F-ed. How do I get 4 lemons in a row?
Mine must be f****d to because I have the same problem! Never been able to clear it..... very frustrating.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Also, to clear this withought clearing all three in the google search box tap once. then your list comes up, at the top (or bottom - i cant remember) there is a small "Clear History" button and also a "turn off" button.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
I don't know how to clear what you've searched, but to avoid it, I just go to google.com and use the search box on the website instead of using the browser's built in google. Just a suggestion.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
Open Safari. Touch the bookmarks button. Touch history. Touch clear. Does this correct the issue?