Safari slow since upgrading to OS X 10.11?

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Is anyone experiencing uncommonly slow performance on Safari since upgrading to OS X 10.11? I'm currently running OS X 10.11.1, but the sluggishness began after the upgrade to 10.11.

The URL autocomplete feature of the URL bar is slow or ineffective. Before, I used to type "f" and it would immediately and without fail expand to "forums.everythingicafe.com." Now it lingers, or instead of expanding to forums.everythingicafe.com, it displays other results I use far less frequently.

Oftentimes, after the complete URL finally populates, I press ENTER and it just stalls, unable to load the page. For example, one of my tabs right now has stalled trying to open forums.everythingicafe.com, while I'm composing this post in a different tab also on forums.everythingicafe.com that successfully opened. It's been stalled that way for ten minutes or more.

Screen Shot 2015-11-06 at 5.59.03 PM.png

eiC isn't the only site the stalling happens to me on. Other sites I frequent normally, like redmondpie.com and macrumors.com, also get stuck regularly.

One of my browser extensions, AdBlock, showed an update was pending. I clicked on Update. It took nearly 3 minutes to install this tiny piece of software.

The other day, I switched DNS servers to OpenDNS. I really thought I had these set up from before, but maybe they got erased during the big upgrade from Yosemite to El Capitan. There was no improvement in Safari's sluggish performance after adding OpenDNS' DNS servers.

Just in case the extentions have suddenly become an issue for Safari on OS X 10.11.1, I'm going to disable all of them to see if that helps, but if it doesn't, I'll have to switch to Chrome or Firefox until Apple's Safari [hopefully] gets its act together when 10.11.2 is released.

Last edited: