Safari widgets work on PC

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
I've been running Safari on Windows now since it was announced...it's pretty slick actually. Might give some users who prefer other browsers a piece of the Mac experience. I gotta say, it's a real trip, having Safari on my Mac deskop (on the left) and the Windows box on the right.

Assuming iPhone Safari is the same one that ships on Mac and now Windows, developers will have less incentive to shaft Safari as a development platform. I haven't checked the specs yet but if Safari Windows is anything like Safari on the Mac, there should be interesting things you can do with it. I'd imagine most widgets (that don't access Mac specific features) should also work on Windows.

jmcd

Jun 12, 2007
I've been running Safari on Windows now since it was announced...it's pretty slick actually. Might give some users who prefer other browsers a piece of the Mac experience. I gotta say, it's a real trip, having Safari on my Mac deskop (on the left) and the Windows box on the right.

Assuming iPhone Safari is the same one that ships on Mac and now Windows, developers will have less incentive to shaft Safari as a development platform. I haven't checked the specs yet but if Safari Windows is anything like Safari on the Mac, there should be interesting things you can do with it. I'd imagine most widgets (that don't access Mac specific features) should also work on Windows.
What's your favorite widget?

Last edited by a moderator:

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
I'd imagine most widgets (that don't access Mac specific features) should also work on Windows.
Looks like there's Mac OS only code... I tried a couple widgets and they didn't work out of the box... Whether that's different on Safari on the iPhone is up in the air, especially since the development environment is sandboxed.

rebelace

Bronze
May 30, 2007
Beaumont,Texas
www.thechadburge.com
Well mac widgets or anything coded for mac would never work on windows unless it was JRE the only reason why safari works is because they coded it for windows. I personally feel safari is a bland browser but I did try out safari 3 on my vista machine and my mac and still wasn't that impressed except for the find feature which is pretty neat.

So I still use firefox until the first non beta version of shiira is released.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Well mac widgets or anything coded for mac would never work on windows unless
actually most widgets in Tiger are just ajax with only certain specific calls to Mac OS functions... I'd imagine most of these should easily be moved over to Windows, albeit with a little loss in functionality (say "flipping them around" per se).