Safari won't save password

adamzeit

Aug 13, 2007
Guys - sorry for the silly question but I searched and didn't come up with a clear answer.

I have 1.1.4 with ZiPhone Jailbroke working fine. However, Safari is NOT "remembering me" when I check it after entering my user name and password on various websites. What did I do wrong? Is there a Permission I need to change? If so, could someone please give me brief instructions as to how to do this (I have WinSCP installed on my PC).

Thanks everyone - I appreciate all you do on this Forum!

tundra

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
New Jersey
I too did the same jailbreak and as well am on 1.1.4 jailbroken with ziPhone. I am also having problems with web browser remembering passwords. Which is important when using jivetalk with numerous addy's. Anyone have a fix for this problem?

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
you restored from backup when you used ZiPhone.

restore, and do it again. your notes aren't saving either, neither are your photos.

restore, jailbreak, and set up as a new iPhone when iTunes prompts you to.

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
Do you mean it is not remembering passwords, or log in names like on myspace, you email? It isn't supposed to remember your passwords but depending on the site it should remember only your email unless it states otherwise.

kwan

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Do what themanofthedark said. I also had this problem and was solved using the mentioned method.

tundra

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
New Jersey
I tried doing as stated by theman and still I am having problems with safari saving passwords. Are you guys saying that i should not sync my bookmarks through iTunes?

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
MobileSafari will NEVER remember passwords.

it will only remember logins, and that is only if you check Remember Me or whatever.

security thing, and shame it doesn't have that feature like the real Safari does..

but then again, the real safari has a flash plugin available, too...

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
^ true, but try to reboot the phone first. That will fix a lot of different crap too. I had this prob and rebooted. That fixed it for me.

-True Story

ScottRTL

Mar 9, 2008
on 1.0.2

I have the same problem...When I was running 1.0.2 Jailbroken, I was able to bookmark my facebook homepage, then hours/days/weeks later could go there again and it would bump me out to the login and password area with both login and password preserved...Obviously Mobile Safari can do it, because it has in the past.

Moreover, I don't have any other issues with not being able to save pictures or anything else, everything is working except Safari not saving any login and password info...Seems like it could be some issue where it is not accepting cookies or something.

thescot

Mar 22, 2008
Yes I too have the same problem.

1.1.4, never before jailbroken. I used ziPhone 2.6b, and then restored from backup on iTunes. All works fine, apart from safari just wont remember passwords anymore. Facebook, gmail etc. all are giving me problems.

Really annoying. I tried re-viriginizing the iPhone and restoring to 1.1.4 but the problems remain.

What did I do? And how can I fix it?

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
Yes I too have the same problem.

1.1.4, never before jailbroken. I used ziPhone 2.6b, and then restored from backup on iTunes. All works fine, apart from safari just wont remember passwords anymore. Facebook, gmail etc. all are giving me problems.

Really annoying. I tried re-viriginizing the iPhone and restoring to 1.1.4 but the problems remain.

What did I do? And how can I fix it?
jesus..

don't ever restore from backup after ZiPhone.

thats the 398427389795745623478568th time its been mentioned here..

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
yeah that's the one that you *could* restore from backup with.

every one of the new ones does not allow for that.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
huh. Thanks. I jailbroke and never looked back. I only research when I'm about to jailbreak to see the latest methods. After I break, I quit lookin'. :D

thescot

Mar 22, 2008
So after some installing of 3rd party apps, restarting etc. Safari seems to be working again. Don't know quite what I did that jigged it into action. Never noticed photos being a problem.

I also found this link that might be a solution for someone:

http://www.bencheng.net/wordpress/2008/03/16/iPhones-safari-problem

Sounds like it is caused by some kind of permission issue with cookes.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
yep because your iPhone, when it restores them from backup it still puts them at the read only permissions, and unless you want to find them and change them to 0755, you may just be out of luck.

ScottRTL

Mar 9, 2008
Easy Solution...

Basically, when you cant write to the cookies files/folder, it can't change, if it can't change then logins and passwords can't save. You need to make their permissions available to read as well as write...You can do this from the iPhone with the program "Squid" then you can go to the \var\mobile\library\cookies and click on all of the iles and then check all of the boxes and hit apply (with squid, it wont close, you just back out)

OR

You can SFTP into the IP address of you iPhone and go to the same directory and then right-click on the files and go properties and check all of the boxes (read, write etc.)

Didn't work for me though :(

burniksapwet

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
My friends iPhone has the same problem. I want to help her out. Can I just SSH her phone and go to
/var/mobile/Library/Cookies and change permission to 777 and
/var/mobile/Library/Cookies/Cookies.plist to 666?
Thanks.