Safest way to upgrade ?

velcro123

Feb 16, 2008
CT
Hey all, forgive me if this has already been answered. My iPhone is currently on ver 1.1.3 ZiPhone Jailbroken firmware. When the time comes to upgrade to 2.0 firmware whats the safest route ? Is it a matter of just clicking up-date in iTunes. Or is there a specific method to keep the from being bricked, and is that even a possibility ? Thanks in advance !

Khris

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Assuming the 2.0 software will be delivered the same as every other, you will do it through iTunes.

Since the 2.0 software will not be out for a few months, everything until this is speculation.

patrick_83

Bronze
Oct 11, 2007
Illinois
Hey all, forgive me if this has already been answered. My iPhone is currently on ver 1.1.3 ZiPhone Jailbroken firmware. When the time comes to upgrade to 2.0 firmware whats the safest route ? Is it a matter of just clicking up-date in iTunes. Or is there a specific method to keep the from being bricked, and is that even a possibility ? Thanks in advance !

I will let you know...in 3 months.

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
I would restore and update first. That is the suggested method. Make sure you have yo your contacts and all other information backed up though first so that when you restore you can boot them back up. Save your photos on iphoto or whatever photo viewer you have etc...

I'm not talking about a sync backup though. Inorder to have no bugs on a jailbroken 1.1.4 phone you need to create a new partnership when it asks if you want to restore from a backup. When i restored from a backup i had problems and i needed to rejailbreak and select a new partnership and i haven't had any problems. I just had made sure i had put my phone contacts on address book and then loaded them back up on my phone after.

Khris

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I went from a jailbroken/unlocked v1.1.2 up to v1.1.4 by using iTunes to update it (no restore first), and then used ZiPhone to jailbreak/unlock before restoring all my settings. I've had zero problems so far.

patrick_83

Bronze
Oct 11, 2007
Illinois
When i went from 1.1.2 to 1.1.3 i only updated, which left a bunch of stuff on the phone that i couldnt use. So, I restored to 1.1.3, and it deleted the stuff that i couldnt use.

Mar 4, 2008
OK bad example, how about from JB 1.1.3 to 1.1.4 ? Is it just a simple plug into iTunes and update ?
I used iTunes and did the default upgrade to 1.1.4. Then I used ZiPhone or whatever it is. Really cool! All I had to do was run the ZiPhone exe.

My first jailbreak was with the tiff image exploit, and I did each from there through 1.1.3. Each was a pain. I can't believe how easy ZiPhone was.

Everyone should use ZiPhone then donate a few dollars. It's really a good program and worth it.