Samsung/Apple UK judgment

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Rafagon, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

If our UK friends are just as oblivious as US folk are to small print towards the bottom of a website, than that print will hopefully have minimal effect. What do you think? (@iPhonewarrior)

I personally don't think that the text "Samsung/Apple UK judgment" in that tiny font, or whatever material it links to, would or should deter someone interested in purchasing a product as beautiful as an iPad, even if they have Page Zoom enabled and the resulting font is bigger than normal. I can honestly say that it wouldn't have any affect on me, big, small, or even with a Flash animation.

Good thing something like this wasn't part of the judgment...

samsunguk.jpg

#1 Rafagon, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2013
  2. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

With all due respect to the UK, that judgment was asinine. A judge declaring that Samsung couldn't be guilty of copying basically because it's obvious the iPad is so much of a cooler looking device. And then his punishment with making them run an ad saying sorry. WTF is that?

I think Apple should've said OK and also we won't sell a single Apple product in that judge's home city for 5 years. See how popular he is round town.

3. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Some of these judges are nut jobs who should have been forced into retirement years ago... I can't help but laugh at this ruling..

Fines? OK.. Product bans? OK.. Making Apple stand in the corner with a dunce hat on? LOL

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Are any of you actually reading Apple's statement?! I love it.

“The extreme simplicity of the Apple design is striking. Overall it has undecorated flat surfaces with a plate of glass on the front all the way out to a very thin rim and a blank back. There is a crisp edge around the rim and a combination of curves, both at the corners and the sides. The design looks like an object the informed user would want to pick up and hold. It is an understated, smooth and simple product. It is a cool design.
    “The informed user’s overall impression of each of the Samsung Galaxy Tablets is the following. From the front they belong to the family which includes the Apple design; but the Samsung products are very thin, almost insubstantial members of that family with unusual details on the back. They do not have the same understated and extreme simplicity which is possessed by the Apple design. They are not as cool.”

5. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I think Apple responded quite well in all fairness. The judges decision was strange to say the least, but Apple rose to the challenge and responded in kind. This isn't a win for Samsung, IMO.

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

And the final sentence is a classic. The Apple legal department has a sense of humor.

"However, in a case tried in Germany regarding the same patent, the court found that Samsung engaged in unfair competition by copying the iPad design. A U.S. jury also found Samsung guilty of infringing on Apple's design and utility patents, awarding over one billion U.S. dollars in damages to Apple Inc. So while the U.K. court did not find Samsung guilty of infringement, other courts have recognized that in the course of creating its Galaxy tablet, Samsung willfully copied Apple's far more popular iPad."

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

7. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

UGH, this is absolutely ridiculous. These judges are total losers.

Any UK brethren want to teach these judges a lesson?

#7 Rafagon, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2013
  8. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

An even stupider ruling than the first. I'd seriously love it if Apple just said Bollocks and withdrew the iPad from the UK market for a year.

9. psylichon

psylichon Genius

"Nooooow, say it like you mean it!"

10. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

While we're on the subject of Apple's international legal issues, here's a doozy out of Mexico.

http://www.macgasm.net/2012/11/02/apple-iphone-trademark-mexico-ifone/

Seems like Apple won't be able to sell iPhones in Mexico, because someone trademarked the name "iFone" back in 2003.

Considering that "iFone" doesn't even make handsets, it looks like that little Mexican court needs to get their priorities straight.

Mod: I couldn't decide if this merited its own thread... Please move this post on out of here if you think it's best.

11. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

does anyone here know who really came up with the word iPhone? hint is wasn't Apple.

12. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor
    Silver

Well seeing that I was using a Cisco iPhone at work well before 2007 and then after 2007 we got new handsets that read Cisco IP Phone. I remember they settled with Cisco.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

14. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

^^^^^^ Pathetic. Judge harps on Apple about 'integrity' and then gets a paid gig from Samsung.