Samsung Busted Again!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
How does stuff like this pass when they have meetings to decide their next move? They repeatedly make the company look so desperate.

dkhmwilliams

Bronze
May 10, 2013
Why do they think that it is worth it? I would imagine that there is a small percentage of people who would even care about benchmark scores. It doesn't seem worth staining the reputation of your company. They are just getting over the stigma of copying Apple. And now this. It's like they are a glutton for punishment.

Sent from my smokin hot, white, 64 GB iPhone 5 on AT&T wrapped in a sexy black leather Apple case.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Why do they think that it is worth it? I would imagine that there is a small percentage of people who would even care about benchmark scores. It doesn't seem worth staining the reputation of your company. They are just getting over the stigma of copying Apple. And now this. It's like they are a glutton for punishment.
Their reputation is already stained. This isn't the first time they've cheated on benchmark results. I'm not sure why they think people aren't watching to see if they'll cheat again.

If Apple did this it would be in the headlines on the news.

dkhmwilliams

Bronze
May 10, 2013
Their reputation is already stained. This isn't the first time they've cheated on benchmark results. I'm not sure why they don't think people aren't watching to see if they would cheat again.

If Apple did this it would be in the headlines on the news.
That is the truth.

Sent from my smokin hot, white, 64 GB iPhone 5 on AT&T wrapped in a sexy black leather Apple case.

mac2013

May 31, 2013
Yipeeeeeeee again yipeeeeeee

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I don't understand what they insist on pulling such cheap moves even though they're already successful?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
They all do it, Apple included (to a lesser degree), you don't have to straight out lie, just mislead.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/davealt...ssor-hype-just-more-reality-distortion-field/
Even if that was true, which is isn't, it doesn't compare. I've seen articles that state the opposite of what the article you just posted says. Apple hasn't ever fudged benchmarks. If Apple did what Samsung has repeatedly been doing, it would be in the headlines in the news.

Last edited by a moderator:

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Even if that was true, which is isn't, it doesn't compare. I've seen articles that state the opposite of what the article you just posted says. Apple hasn't ever fudged benchmarks. If Apple did what Samsung has repeatedly been doing, it would be in the headlines in the news.
I didn't say Apple fudge anything. The article just points out the caveats to 64bit that Apple neglected to mention. No biggie, just omission, not as bad as Samsung but then again, who cares? Speed and good performance is expected on new devices. I don't know anyone who makes decisions on which device to buy based on a few microseconds of better performance.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I was undecided before I purchased the HTC One and I started looking at benchmarks of the Galaxy S4, HTC One and a couple of other devices and I can tell you that they were different on each website I visited, lol.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
They all do it, Apple included (to a lesser degree), you don't have to straight out lie, just mislead.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/davealt...ssor-hype-just-more-reality-distortion-field/
So you cherry-picked a Forbes article? I can cherry-pick as well. :D

If you're referring to cheating at benchmarks...

Anand Shimpi of AnandTech:

"We have some internal tools to poke around at frequency, A7 appears to behave honestly. I explored this issue with engineers at a couple of different companies who were also interested in finding out the answer. Finally, much of what I used to characterize the A6/A7 aren't publicly available, so there's no gaming there.

The bigger concern is how much optimization for the web browsing tests exists in Browser.apk, Chrome and Mobile Safari. Like I said in the article, this is going to get a lot more difficult to detect."

Last edited by a moderator:

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
If you're referring to cheating at benchmarks...

Anand Shimpi of AnandTech:

"We have some internal tools to poke around at frequency, A7 appears to behave honestly. I explored this issue with engineers at a couple of different companies who were also interested in finding out the answer. Finally, much of what I used to characterize the A6/A7 aren't publicly available, so there's no gaming there.

The bigger concern is how much optimization for the web browsing tests exists in Browser.apk, Chrome and Mobile Safari. Like I said in the article, this is going to get a lot more difficult to detect."
I was referring to the claims and hype overall. The bottom line is that premium devices are expected to have good specs. I stopped worrying about chip speed and performance a long time ago. Flagship products will be more than adequate performance wise no matter what. I buy based on other factors. I buy Apple, but if I was a Samsung loyalist, benchmarks would not matter one bit :)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I didn't say Apple fudge anything. The article just points out the caveats to 64bit that Apple neglected to mention. No biggie, just omission, not as bad as Samsung but then again, who cares? Speed and good performance is expected on new devices. I don't know anyone who makes decisions on which device to buy based on a few microseconds of better performance.
You said they all do it, Apple included. You're minimizing what Samsung has done. I'm not sure why you even brought it up if you don't think what they've done compares. The article you posted is just an opinion. There are other articles that state the opposite.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
You said they all do it, Apple included. You're minimizing what Samsung has done. I'm not sure why you even brought it up if you don't think what they've done compares. The article you posted is just an opinion. There are other articles that state the opposite.
Are you seriously saying Apple never hypes their products? Samsung does too, admittedly much worse but again, they are desperate and in a loosing battle against Apple. Does not make it right but then again, all companies lie and hype, some more than others.