Samsung Galaxy S III vs New iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chris, May 3, 2012.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

If you would like to discuss the Samsung Galaxy S III as compared to either the current iPhone 4S or the new iPhone, this is the thread for you.

In the past, these threads spiraled out of control. If you have no interest in this discussion, you can easily bypass it. If you are trolling for either side of the aisle, then I'd ask that you do that elsewhere.

Intelligent discussion regarding the platforms and/or hardware is always welcome.

If you don't like these types of threads, then use the downvote feature.

2. eduran214

eduran214 New Member

Haven't seen much of it since I'm still at work but it doesn't sound too "groundbreaking" if I must say as I thought it would. But I'll look more onto it when I get home. Basically im upgrade ready and was waiting for the best option be it Android or the new iPhone I guess I'll wait and see how the new iPhone measures up

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Pretty safe bet the new iPhone will have a larger display. Most peg it at 4-inches. No way it reaches anywhere near this 4.8-inch spectrum.

4. snowtrooper1966

Gold

I'm too firmy entrenched to even think about bailing on Apple, even Snowtrooper Jr just has a 4S now.
    Would love a bigger screen however, hoping to see one in the fall!

5. medenblik

medenblik Contributor
    Silver

I love my IP4S and will stick with Apple, I will be getting a Samsung Galaxy S2 for work next week, so i can do a little testing on my own, (both will be on AT&T)...

i think 4.8 is a TAD large for use with 1 hand.......

i love IOS better than the Android, lets release a new version every 7-10 days..........

6. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I think you've hit the nail on the virtual head. Samsung, like other manufacturers, are trying to make this about hardware. Look at this shiny new phone with the big display. Ultimately, it's about the software and ecosystem (apps).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  7. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

Which one will have a bigger stylus? That'll be the key factor for me.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  8. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I hate stylus's :(

9. snowtrooper1966

Gold

^
    Stylus envy ;)

10. snowtrooper1966

Gold

In a bit of a rush when I replied earlier, but you obviously got it.

I was trying to say I'm very happy in the Apple ecosystem. Rock solid iOS, great app diversity/quality and fantastic hardware!

Android's fragmentation seems to have intensified in the 3.5 years since I bailed. It appears that instead of any sense of harmony or stability, they focus on the notion that all we need are bigger screens and faster processors.
    No sir, not buying into that.

More than stoked for me and my family to grow with iOS and iDevices in an intelligent, reliable and productive ecosystem!

Oh, and there should be no "just" in my post in relation to Snowtrooper Jr's new 4S. I would have corrected it, but the boss already quoted me and locked the typo in....

11. sonic1519

sonic1519 New Member

i'm also in to deep with the Apple ecosystem. great ios
    plus iTunes i know it can be done changing all your music
    over. but to much of a pain.

12. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

I am curious how the S Voice will work compared to Siri after Samsung has had a chance to beta test Siri further so they could borrow Apple's ideas. AllShare Cast Hub for wireless AirPlay, hmm, another fine feature for a Samsung phone.

13. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

According to what I red it records 720 p, am I correct?

14. iphoneint

iphoneint Member
    Bronze

The front camera records at 720p and the rear camera records at 1080p in the Samsung Galaxy III. If that is the phone you were asking about.

15. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

Yes thank you, I just don't red anywhere 1080 p.

16. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I heard the quadcore GS3 may not be available in the US.

17. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I recently owned a Galaxy S2 Skyrocket and a Galaxy Note.. Samsung makes a nice device and I'm often tempted by their offerings but my time with them is always short lived and I always find my way right back to the iPhone...

I think I will just save myself the trouble this time and wait for the next iPhone version...

18. Beemer

Beemer Member
    Bronze

The Canadian president for Samsung said the same for Canada (he was a bit vague but did say he didn't know if we would get the quad core version). I have an S2 and I do love the phone but what I don't like is the typing accuracy. When txting with the S2, the errors make your message unreadable. I was thinking that I might get an IP5 when they are released but after seeing the SIII I'm not sure I'll wait that long.

19. KrakaJap

KrakaJap Zealot
    Gold

You can't have one without the other so I really think it's about both... Samsung is just focusing more on hardware and letting the OS ride by Google. As far as the ecosystem, the single largest con here would be fragmentation and OS upgrade availability taking an enormous hit. It's not cost effective for a carrier to upgrade phones already sold than it is to focus on new phones/new customers... at least not as much. Apple doesn't have to worry about this. I love my GS2 and will most likely get the GS3, my only debate is whether or not to wait and see what Apple comes up with. Of course my reasons are going to be significantly different than the next person's. :) I still have my iPhone 4 and still use it on occasion as well (with no intent to sell it). A larger screen would be nice (for the iPhone), but for my own reasons I would like to see a lot more flexibility with the OS before an increase in screen size.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I might be a bit naive in saying it's all about hardware. My personal preference when using Android is to go with stock Android. I was in a discussion with a Samsung rep on Twitter who said customers prefer TouchWhiz. I could be snarky and say that's because it looks like an iPhone, but perhaps there is some value add that I'm unaware of..

Choosing today, I think the HTC One X hardware is what I would opt for over the SIII.