Samsung Galaxy S III vs New iPhone

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
I might be a bit naive in saying it's all about hardware. My personal preference when using Android is to go with stock Android. I was in a discussion with a Samsung rep on Twitter who said customers prefer TouchWhiz. I could be snarky and say that's because it looks like an iPhone, but perhaps there is some value add that I'm unaware of..

Choosing today, I think the HTC One X hardware is what I would opt for over the SIII.
Odd that you mentioned TW.. I am an odd ball in that I like TW better than stock Android.. HTC Sense is horrid and Moto Blur or whatever they call it these days is even worse..

One MAJOR advantage that the iPhone has, IMHO, is the lack of crapware and the lack of carrier and manufacture branding all over the device.. My Note for instance was LOADED with crapware & Samsung bloat. It had AT&T branded on the top front, Samsung branded on the bottom front and Galaxy Note on the battery cover.. I think all this branding takes away from the nice look that the Samsung devices could have..

Yes the bloat is easily removed / frozen with root and titanium but the ugly branding is there forever.. Imagine if the front of the iPhone said AT&T at the top and Apple at the bottom in big bold letters.. YUCK!

My .02

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
I really like the Skyrocket, and hence I'm looking forward to the Galaxy SIII. I do wish and hope that it has a battery that will last at least two days with more than average use.

In addition, I hope the new iPhone offers a larger screen. That is what drew me towards the Skyrocket in the first place...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KrakaJap

Zealot
Gold
Jul 7, 2009
IL
I might be a bit naive in saying it's all about hardware. My personal preference when using Android is to go with stock Android. I was in a discussion with a Samsung rep on Twitter who said customers prefer TouchWhiz. I could be snarky and say that's because it looks like an iPhone, but perhaps there is some value add that I'm unaware of..

Choosing today, I think the HTC One X hardware is what I would opt for over the SIII.
TW is my second choice. I really enjoy Go Launcher and stock is probably my 3rd choice. I'm trying to avoid saying that certain launchers look like iOS because really it's a very intuitive interface that has become a standard (more or less). Mobile devices have also been leading up to that design even before iOS. Apple just made it popular and simplified it, which they are very good at doing.

raqball: I can't agree more! The branding doesn't bother me so much as the crapware. Both the manufacturers AND the carriers go nuts on included, proprietary software. Some even go as far as replacing stock applications with their own versions (more noticeable on tablets). But as for the larger picture it's good to see all the improvements despite the junk we don't want on both sides of the smartphone fence.

KrakaJap

Zealot
Gold
Jul 7, 2009
IL
I just now glanced at the HTC1x specs... they seem to be pretty much identical to the gs3 but I don't know much about the differences between the tegra3 and the exynos.

Chris: is this why you would choose the htc? If so, do you know the benchmarks off the top of your head? I'm not sure I would give up the expandable memory and removable 2100mah. I do like the design better though, very sleek and almost "Tron"ish in white! ;) I need to try and find some comparisons on the LCD2 vs AMOLED as well.

Sorry... ever so slightly off topic :)

rksst228

May 7, 2012
interesting discussion (y) I hope iPhone 5 will have holographic Siri version :D but guess after the huge success of Galaxy SII, it would be difficult for Apple to compete with Samsung.

I found a site with all up-to-date statistics about Smartphones. you can find all the recent facts about Smartphone there. even if anyone wants to do some market research, I guess it can prove itself as a pretty good source of information.

http://www.statista.com/topics/840/smartphones/

Hope it will be helpful for some of you.

cheers

KrakaJap

Zealot
Gold
Jul 7, 2009
IL
interesting discussion (y) I hope iPhone 5 will have holographic Siri version :D but guess after the huge success of Galaxy SII, it would be difficult for Apple to compete with Samsung.
"Difficult" challenges is where Apple excels far beyond it's competitors by focusing on simplicity and aesthetics. I'm personally hoping they take a step back and start focusing more on freedom: eliminating the need for a jailbreak in other words. Of course I'm not holding my breath :)

MrDru07

Jun 12, 2010
MO
IMO there are great features for both but I'm a little disappointed with the new Samsung Galaxy 3. It seems like these companies just wait until the other has a cool new thing and steal the idea. I have an iPhone 4 atm and so the recent iOS update was awesome with the scroll down notifications but Android had that a long time ago and now Galaxy will have a voice thing like Siri ....I think I'll see what the new iPhone has in store and make my choice. If it does in fact have a bigger screen that would help. I also love Swype for Android and many more free apps but iPhone is much more solid and runs smooth

KrakaJap

Zealot
Gold
Jul 7, 2009
IL
IMO there are great features for both but I'm a little disappointed with the new Samsung Galaxy 3. It seems like these companies just wait until the other has a cool new thing and steal the idea. I have an iPhone 4 atm and so the recent iOS update was awesome with the scroll down notifications but Android had that a long time ago and now Galaxy will have a voice thing like Siri ....I think I'll see what the new iPhone has in store and make my choice. If it does in fact have a bigger screen that would help. I also love Swype for Android and many more free apps but iPhone is much more solid and runs smooth
That's what competition is all about :) taking great ideas and making them better (regardless of whether or not they succeed in making them better). I completely agree about swype! I'm not sure how I got along without it all these years LOL Many times I'll catch myself trying to swype on my iPhone and iPad as well ;)

rksst228

May 7, 2012
"Difficult" challenges is where Apple excels far beyond it's competitors by focusing on simplicity and aesthetics. I'm personally hoping they take a step back and start focusing more on freedom: eliminating the need for a jailbreak in other words. Of course I'm not holding my breath :)

I do agree with you. I think when it comes to Apple everyone wants to see something really extra ordinary (people like me :p ). I really wish Apple would evetually give us more freedom, if so then their Market share would be sky high I am telling you. Even the hardcore anti-Apple people would create a crowd to buy Apple products.

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
This may be irrelevant , but I really disliked the commercial they had for it. Here is the link
I agree. It barely shows the phone being used. After the commercial, I still don't know what the phone does that I couldn't get with just about any other smartphone on the market.

KrakaJap

Zealot
Gold
Jul 7, 2009
IL
Samsung is focusing more on the "personal" side of the GS3 since most of the iPhone commercials focus on the same thing, ease of use, great photos, sharing, sleek design, etc. Aside from that, the software really isn't as enticing to me as the hardware: I really don't need to tell my phone to wake up but turning on by simply picking it up might be handy. :) And the Siri clone... bah... I don't like talking on the phone a lot anyway let alone talking "to" my phone LOL For me it's the CPU, GPU, and screen.

One thing I am very curious about is the internal barometer... I'm wondering how exactly that will be used. Maybe a physical enhancement for weather apps to take advantage of?

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
Who the heck is going to want to know what the current atmospheric pressure is besides meteorologists? lol

Apple should put an internal Geiger counter in the next iPhone. :rolleyes:

KrakaJap

Zealot
Gold
Jul 7, 2009
IL
Who the heck is going to want to know what the current atmospheric pressure is besides meteorologists? lol

Apple should put an internal Geiger counter in the next iPhone. :rolleyes:

LOL! That's exactly what I said when I first read that it will have a barometer! Next will be an embedded Doppler radar :) But on a serious note... weather apps are probably one (if not THE) most popular on any smartphone so I can definitely see weather app devs using this to help get more accurate local weather details and immediate forecasting. Or even for people who like to hike or ski in the mountains, checking cabin pressure on a plane, etc. etc. It's really starting to make sense now that I think about it.

diverdown

Contributor
Silver
Sep 12, 2007
NYC
The S3 is a nice phone but I think the HTC One X is a bit nicer. If it only had a micro SD slot I believe it would see better than the S3. I also had the skyrocket and while it was nice the 480x800 resolution on a 4.5 inch screen was not good. Currently I am using. Google Galaxy Nexus (my iPhone 4S went to my mom because she broke her 3gs), which I got directly from Google unlocked.

As far as Android devices I really like the Nexus line. You get the stock OS and updates directly from Google... no waiting for the carriers. That is the one thing that I believe hurts Android...carriers are slow to update.

I have to say though, its hard to go back to the 3.5 screen after using the 4.6 720x1280 nexus.

~S

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
The S3 is a nice phone but I think the HTC One X is a bit nicer. If it only had a micro SD slot I believe it would see better than the S3.
Samsung Galaxy S3 pounds HTC One X into benchmark dust

We've run the Samsung Galaxy S3 through a barrage of benchmark tests, with our results showing that Samsung's latest toy is a proper performance powerhouse that manages to beat the beefy HTC One X. Read on, folks, and brace for numbers.

In the Antutu benchmark, which tests memory, CPU speed and graphics, the S3 racked up an impressive 12,112 points, beating the One X, which scored 10,827 in the same test.

A similar benchmark, Quadrant, awarded the Galaxy S3 with 5,289 points, again beating the One X, which mustered a score of 4,904. The HTC One X ran GL Benchmark's Standard Egypt test at a rate of 52 frames per second, but was once more bested by the Galaxy S3, which ran the same test at 59fps -- the same score managed by the frighteningly powerful new iPad.

The 4.8-inch Galaxy S3 even beat Apple's frighteningly powerful new tablet in one of our browser tests. When we ran the SunSpider JavaScript benchmark (in which lower scores are better), the S3 scored 1,498.9ms, while the new iPad and iPad 2 took slightly longer with scores of 1,890.9 and 1,884.6 respectively. The S3's result also aces the iPhone 4S, which scored 2,181.6ms.

HTC clawed back one victory -- sort of. In the Vellamo browser test the S3's score of 2,077 wasn't as high as the app's database score for the HTC One XL, a phone that's not out in the UK yet.

Despite the HTC One X also offering a quad-core chip and a slightly higher clock speed, our tests show that it's not quite as powerful as the Galaxy S3. That could be down to the S3's Exynos 4 Quad chip being made by Samsung itself, while the Tegra 3 processor in the One X is built by Nvidia.

Number crunching aside, my expert colleague Natasha reckons the Galaxy S3 feels slicker to use than HTC's offering, with no lag or stutter as you cruise around the phone's Ice Cream Sandwhich-flavoured interface.

Axne1

May 17, 2012
I just left Android, and really they are years behind. These devices and os are so different. That's my honest opinion.

Android needs hardware requirements.
But that will not happen anytime soon... So iOS please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk