Samsung Galaxy S III vs New iPhone

KrakaJap

Zealot
Gold
Jul 7, 2009
IL
In both worlds it has always been about doing more with less, largely in part to improve battery life. I definitely wouldn't say "years" behind but behind in certain areas?... perhaps. Both sides are when you look at the whole picture. It's not about choosing a name or even about choosing performance while sacrificing everything else: it's about choosing the right phone for your individual needs. Personally, the GS2 has far exceeded the iPhone 4 in all areas that are on my "need/want" list. Is that the same experience for the next guy? Absolutely not. Does that make either better than the other? Again... absolutely not. Sheer numbers are just that, numbers. Give an iPhone to a guy who absolutely requires removable storage and he ends up with a completely useless device.

Reactions: Europa

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
SG3 has removable storage which for me is a big plus. I can get a 64GB micro SD for 50 bucks or a 32GB for 20. That's significantly cheaper than shelling out several hundred dollars for the extra built in storage of the iPhone or other similar devices.

Plus, what else can they compare the SG3 to? They need to compare it to the other top models on the market at this time. Otherwise, what you are actually saying is that the SG3 is so far advanced from its competition that you can't even compare it to any other model, which is a compliment toward the SG3.

I'm personally waiting to see the new iPhone and the Galaxy Note 2 before deciding on my next handset. I've been with the iPhone since day 1 and have defended it whenever it was justified to do so. But I'm not going to sit here and pretend that the competition hasn't finally caught up and even surpassed the current iPhone model.

Even the Lumia 900 is a solid device, despite not having the latest and greatest innards. The next iteration of the Lumia series with WP8 already on it will make an even bigger splash than the current 900. Finally, we are living in exciting handset times. It took several years to get here but the iPhone finally has company at the top.

Ltzguy

Zealot
Gold
Jun 22, 2010
Right here
I find it hard to spend any money on an Android phone. They are outdated too quickly. Most of them don't have as much of an accessory following....mainly because by the time they come out with an innovative case....it's outdated.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
I find it hard to spend any money on an Android phone. They are outdated too quickly. Most of them don't have as much of an accessory following....mainly because by the time they come out with an innovative case....it's outdated.
Since 2007 I have covered the iPhone with a case for a total of 2 weeks. I feel that hiding a phone's design is pointless. I want to see the beauty of the handset, not cover it in what is the most common type of case: cheap plastic. Might as well make the phone from crap creaky plastic and leave out the middle man.

Reactions: Mugwhamp

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
here's a pretty nice feature the new GSIII will have which looks cool. approx 1:55 mins into the video

Chancellor

Contributor
Bronze
May 28, 2011
This thread will provide me with good information AND chuckles all at the same time. As someone who has extensive use of both platforms I'd say I'm happy where I am at currently :) I have a razr maxx (which is EVERY BIT as good as a 4s for my needs) and a iPad 3. Together I have my needs satisfied, each platform alone can't give me what I want in a mobile OS, together I'm as happy as a clam :)

I can't really say anything for the SG3 or iPhone 6 based on anything but speculation, however I will say that if the iPhone 6 has a 4 inch screen or larger, I will give it some SERIOUS consideration, especially of boost adds it to the lineup. I dropped my iPhone 4 because I just couldn't take the screen size...with this 4inch+ screen I'd love it.

The SG3 looks awesome, I'm assuming that it will be every bit as smooth as my maxx (which it doesn't get any better then a maxx/iPhone as far as "smoothness" goes IMHO). Hopefully TW is good, I wasn't a fan of it on my epic/sg1 but it wasn't terrible. My selling point would have been the screen, I'd eat that up lol, the idea of a 4.8 screen makes me drool. Now I have an iPad, so it's not as big of a deal to me. Many people will never ever get (or want) a phone the big, that's whats so good about variation. 4inch is my personal standard as far as screen size goes :)

Really I don't care about the ram, CPU, or hardware specs because for what I use them for the SG3 and iPhone 6 are going to perform the exact same. Now if I want to be a nerd and run some kind of hardware test to tell me "x phone is faster then y phone" I guess I would care. Back in the real world I won't be noticing or caring of X phones Facebook loads 1/10 of a second faster then Y phone. Both devices will have vibrant colorful screens that will be appealing to look at, both will fit in my hands, and both surf the web, tweet, Facebook, email, and make phone calls.

Like I said previously this is what I think about these two phones, for some people you may have one concrete definitive answer. I know exactly what I want out of a phone in every situation, as do we all :)

O well time to read more "this phone sucks and this phone rocks and I know cause I had one for two weeks". Which also makes me want to complain about the carriers 14 day "trial"....US Carriers suck hehe :-(

Edit: I'm super excited for the next gen Nokia windows devices, I loved the little amount of time I had with a w7p device.
I also don't think Androids phones date themselves as fast as everyone claims, sometimes they do (such as the razr and razr maxx, assuming that's the first one we will all think of hehe). Personally I find the multiple options as a huge positive, I like walking into the store and seeing 20 different devices. I know I'm going to get something I want and that's fit to my needs (more or less). New phones coming out every month has been the norm for over a decade, why change :)

R

Ray Right

Samsung Galaxy S3 is the superior one than the other high-end smartphones available in the market. Its slim, minimalistic design and features prove that it is a worthy investment that will give you a smarter experience serves as a perfect companion.​

Axne1

May 17, 2012
This thread will provide me with good information AND chuckles all at the same time. As someone who has extensive use of both platforms I'd say I'm happy where I am at currently :) I have a razr maxx (which is EVERY BIT as good as a 4s for my needs) and a iPad 3. Together I have my needs satisfied, each platform alone can't give me what I want in a mobile OS, together I'm as happy as a clam :)

I can't really say anything for the SG3 or iPhone 6 based on anything but speculation, however I will say that if the iPhone 6 has a 4 inch screen or larger, I will give it some SERIOUS consideration, especially of boost adds it to the lineup. I dropped my iPhone 4 because I just couldn't take the screen size...with this 4inch+ screen I'd love it.

The SG3 looks awesome, I'm assuming that it will be every bit as smooth as my maxx (which it doesn't get any better then a maxx/iPhone as far as "smoothness" goes IMHO). Hopefully TW is good, I wasn't a fan of it on my epic/sg1 but it wasn't terrible. My selling point would have been the screen, I'd eat that up lol, the idea of a 4.8 screen makes me drool. Now I have an iPad, so it's not as big of a deal to me. Many people will never ever get (or want) a phone the big, that's whats so good about variation. 4inch is my personal standard as far as screen size goes :)

Really I don't care about the ram, CPU, or hardware specs because for what I use them for the SG3 and iPhone 6 are going to perform the exact same. Now if I want to be a nerd and run some kind of hardware test to tell me "x phone is faster then y phone" I guess I would care. Back in the real world I won't be noticing or caring of X phones Facebook loads 1/10 of a second faster then Y phone. Both devices will have vibrant colorful screens that will be appealing to look at, both will fit in my hands, and both surf the web, tweet, Facebook, email, and make phone calls.

Like I said previously this is what I think about these two phones, for some people you may have one concrete definitive answer. I know exactly what I want out of a phone in every situation, as do we all :)

O well time to read more "this phone sucks and this phone rocks and I know cause I had one for two weeks". Which also makes me want to complain about the carriers 14 day "trial"....US Carriers suck hehe :-(

Edit: I'm super excited for the next gen Nokia windows devices, I loved the little amount of time I had with a w7p device.
I also don't think Androids phones date themselves as fast as everyone claims, sometimes they do (such as the razr and razr maxx, assuming that's the first one we will all think of hehe). Personally I find the multiple options as a huge positive, I like walking into the store and seeing 20 different devices. I know I'm going to get something I want and that's fit to my needs (more or less). New phones coming out every month has been the norm for over a decade, why change :)
someone is a huge cell junkie :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chancellor

Contributor
Bronze
May 28, 2011
No I'm not!

"goes in the corner and inspects razr maxx to ensure it is working properly".

Chancellor

Contributor
Bronze
May 28, 2011
Honestly for the life of me I never understood why Apple didn't produce a large screen and small screen every year. Now it seems like Android has too powerful of a footprint and they'll have to share the market.

sonic1519

Jan 26, 2011
i will admit the Samsung has caught my attention. and i like it's looks and all.
but i'm tied to the hip with the iPhone all the apps and iTunes will do that.
i wouldn't change. but i do hope the next iPhone has a bigger screen somewhat.
i'm betting ios6 will be a real game changer.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
The button on the GS3 bugs me. I haven't had a button in years.
I put the wife onto the OneX but lacking an uSD slot and not having anything larger than 16GB (and it's not even true 16GB) is a problem for me.
I definitely prefer Sense over TW but TW's not a show stopper as I'll have the UI replaced with stock Android in the first month.

So then, nothing available in North America is a big draw for me at the moment. If I don't find anything particularly appealing by the fall, I'll ship an unlocked international unit (I'm rarely in an LTE area) either the Korean GS3 or the 32GB OneX.

A 4" iPhone6? Would still have to have Swype to be on the list and no iSwype isn't an alternative unless it can be used as the system keyboard vs for one app.

Arcangel2176

Silver
Jul 24, 2007
have to be honest I left iPhone after the 4 had a bunch of Androids and no matter ICS nor dual or quad core they never stack up to iPhone. I now have iPhone 4S until the new iPhone arrives which I will proceed to replace my 4S with. While I was gone I tried Windows phone as well and they have a lot more promise than Androids constant beta mess

Apple iAddicted

Contributor
Bronze
Feb 20, 2012
I had several Androids before breaking down and trying the iPhone got the 4s back in late Jan or early Feb I can honestly say I will not buy another Android for myself but my wife still has one and loves hers, she is wanting that Galaxy Note for the screen size cause of her vision issues.
iPhone is so great because Apple and only Apple produces both the phone and operating system. Windows and Android just can't get this one figured out.
It would be nice if Apple would put out a giant screen for people like my wife who need giant print and all to see but for me the 4s is perfect and I won't upgrade until it either dies or a new iPhone comes out with so many great features and speed that I just have to lol. Just my 2cents

Sent from my 32GB iPhone 4s on iOS 5.1!
Only thing iPhone is missing is an expandable memory port! Come on Apple give us a microSD port already!

Apple iAddicted

Contributor
Bronze
Feb 20, 2012
Android is soo good I gad to do a full system wipe on my wifes today it couldn't call out or get calls I hope it fixed it cause I don't wanna buy her a new phone yet lol unless she goes iPhone

Sent from my 32GB iPhone 4s on iOS 5.1!
Only thing iPhone is missing is an expandable memory port! Come on Apple give us a microSD port already!

almega

Jan 4, 2009
Indiana
The S III looks cool but I don't think the hardware quality is there. My iPhone 4 after almost 2 years still looks new and its definitively not pampered in any way. I carry it in my front pocket with my keys daily and dropped occasionally. My friends and family who have Android phones after about 6 months their phones start looking pretty crappy, keyboards loose, plastic case all beat up, etc. After having cell phones since the early 90's I really appreciate the quality of the iPhone. I don't have to worry about it, the hardware and software just plain work. I have not used the S II or the higher end Android phones so maybe their quality is just as good as the iPhone but I'm not convinced. Just my 0.02 cents.

Apple iAddicted

Contributor
Bronze
Feb 20, 2012
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." ~Alen Kay~
enough said end the forum ;) lol

Sent from my 32GB iPhone 4s on iOS 5.1.1
The ONLY thing better than an iPhone is the newer iPhone!