Samsung Galaxy S III vs New iPhone

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
here are a couple video's that show the pros and the cons for both.

rambo47

Contributor
Silver
Apr 4, 2010
Northern NJ
I've been disappointed with Android battery life before. Neither my HTC Evo 4G nor my Samsung Epic 4G had acceptable battery life. I'm very curious to hear first-hand how the SGSIII does in this respect. No complaints with my iPhone's battery life.

I'm hoping the iPhone 5 has more than just an elongated screen. That would be my first choice. But if they simply tack on 1/2 an inch to the current design and leave the width the same I'm going to take another look at one of the monster screen Android phones.

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
i think it's a trade off just like when you buy a car. you can either go for economy or speed. you really can't have both atleast not yet. i would much rather give up little battery life for 4g lte speeds than good batt life with dial-up speeds. which is what you get with the 4s.
my 4g lte speeds here in cali are well about 20mgb per sec. and i'll take that anyday over my 3g speeds. my GSIII gets very good battery life right now. i can get a full day with moderate use.

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
I've been disappointed with Android battery life before. Neither my HTC Evo 4G nor my Samsung Epic 4G had acceptable battery life. I'm very curious to hear first-hand how the SGSIII does in this respect. No complaints with my iPhone's battery life.

I'm hoping the iPhone 5 has more than just an elongated screen. That would be my first choice. But if they simply tack on 1/2 an inch to the current design and leave the width the same I'm going to take another look at one of the monster screen Android phones.
actually the GSIII has better battery life than the 4s
http://www.which.co.uk/news/2012/07/Samsung-galaxy-s3-best-for-mobile-battery-life-290003/

Chancellor

Contributor
Bronze
May 28, 2011

The iPhone 6 is going to HAVE to have a larger battery to handle LTE, the current battery wouldn't cut it. It will be very interesting to see this new phone, it may sway me back to ios as far as phones go. Maybe I'll snag this on an extra line, hopefully boost mobile hehe. Although my current maxx/iPad combo can't really be any better, I'm a tech nerd.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
Sources are predicting the next iPhone will use in cell touch panel technology which will allow the device to be thinner. By allowing a slimmer design, Apple can cram in a larger battery without increasing the thickness. It also is cheaper to make and uses less energy. Just Google in cell touch panel and you will get top results with Apple all over them.

flatbacks21

Bronze
Sep 21, 2010
Ohio
GSlll is really light weight.. Hope the new iPhone is heavy like the iPhone 4.. Don't have to compromise aesthetics and strength for light weight, but about 1/2 the weight would be good.

KPSK

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
2 days now with the S3 and battery has held up all day with normal to moderate usage. it is not that different from an iPhone i find except again for some pretty simple features that the iPhone should have.

rambo47

Contributor
Silver
Apr 4, 2010
Northern NJ
I'm not a big fan of the overall rounded design of the SGSIII. I was checking one out today and found I liked the HTC Evo 4G LTE design much better. A couple things I really do like about the SGSIII are the battery life, the picture sharing, and NFC. The HTC has NFC but considerably less battery life and no phone-to-phone picture sharing.

Still loving my iPhone, but I'm getting the Android Itch™ again. These new designs from HTC and Samsung are stirring up screen envy again. That screen envy is part of what lead me from BlackBerrys to Android in the first place. I settled on the iPhone's screen because it integrates so well with the Mac environment in which I've totally immersed myself.

rambo47

Contributor
Silver
Apr 4, 2010
Northern NJ
I like the notification bar in Android better than on the iPhone. And widgets are cool, especially those that let you toggle on/off things like WiFi, bluetooth, etc.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I like the notification bar in Android better than on the iPhone. And widgets are cool, especially those that let you toggle on/off things like WiFi, bluetooth, etc.
There have been a handful of apps that provide this function that somehow find their way into the App Store. Unfortunately, they don't last very long. I think these toggles are needed for Android to actively manage battery life. I like what Motorola's done with their Smart Actions. You can set up custom actions that turn features on/off.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
The sharing photos and videos feature is gimmicky. Why should we hold our phones together to share? How about we just email it or send it MMS to multiple recipients? The videos posted previously had me laughing. It seems like Android fanbois brag about their phones to have street cred. James Bond? lol facial recognition to impress the females? Give me a break! If you need cars, electronic devices, attire, etc to impress the females, you're gonna need a lot more help. SMH. How about you just have an intellectual conversation?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
The sharing photos and videos feature is gimmicky. Why should we hold our phones together to share? How about we just email it or send it MMS to multiple recipients? The videos posted previously had me laughing. It seems like Android fanbois brag about their phones to have street cred. James Bond? lol facial recognition to impress the females? Give me a break! If you need cars, electronic devices, attire, etc to impress the females, you're gonna need a lot more help. SMH. How about you just have an intellectual conversation?
Resisting the urge to make a comment about potential pickup lines.."Have you seen the size of my display?"

I'll save my stylus jokes for the official Android Fanboys Pickup Line Thread.

IllusionEntity

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 3, 2010
Borough Green, Kent, UK
Here's my opinion. Samsung has and continues to make some beautiful hardware - with the Galaxy 3 possibly being their best yet. However, the experience while using the phone is a vast downgrade from the iPhone. To me - it starts with the software. Sure the hardware is paramount in creating a successful device, but if the initial user experience is clunky, laggy, and lacking in a surrounding ecosystem, then no matter how beautiful the hardware is architected, the experience falls apart. That is exactly what happens when I use any Android OS phone. Though I haven't used the Galaxy 3 yet, I imagine the experience will be the same.

I am partly bitter that Google, rather than create their own unique mobile OS experience, decided to spin off of apple- and ultimately failed. Now I'm not against taking something existing and making it better (we all know Apple is famous for this throughout it's history). But, when an idea is copied and executed in a lesser fashion than the original, I believe the entire thing is shameful and regrettable. Windows is a great example of creating an original mobile OS through brave thinking and creativity. I am actually looking forward to the release of Windows Phone 8 and hope it succeeds. The Samsung running Android however, is far down on my list.
Samsung does make beautiful hardware! Shame it's in the iPhone and not in the galaxy s3 :/ lol

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
of course it's better on Android because the Apple version is a cheap knock-off/copy.

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
why would you not use s-beam it's much faster than your slow mms service and 1gb transfer only takes approx 3mins try sending that via text messg lol...

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
of course it's better on Android because the Apple version is a cheap knock-off/copy.
No it's not. Remember that Notification Center is still a newish thing for Apple. Yeah, they could have added toggles by now, which Android does have. But it doesn't mean it wont come in the future. To be honest the way iOS has improved, especially with the notifications isn't anything you can dismiss. The GUI/UI alone is better than anything Android OS could achieve in comparison to an iPhone. It's certainly not a cheap copy either, how much does an iPhone cost? You can't just buy iOS and install it on any old smartphone, you know?

I'm not biased either, as there are plenty of things on Android which out-do iOS.

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
the ios UI is not better than anroid are you serious. it way too limited in comparison. everything is much more harder do if you can even get the ios do it. my question to you is which new feature will Apple steal this time and add it to the new iPhone, 4g? real multitasking? turn by trun nav? better batt life etc...
this video says it all and comes from a old school Apple fan.