Samsung Galaxy S4 vs iPhone5/5S

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by RyansTitan05, Aug 18, 2013.

1. RyansTitan05

RyansTitan05 Contributor
    Bronze

Guys please tell me why I should not switch to Samsung? I'm seriously about ready to jump ship! Please conscience me why I shouldn't!

Sent using iCafe app

2. RyansTitan05

RyansTitan05 Contributor
    Bronze

Anyone? I think I'm gonna pull the trigger!

Sent using iCafe app

3. Richu75

Richu75 New Member

Nobody can decide if you are better of with the s4. All about personal preference. I wouldn't touch Android with a 10ft pole, but that's just me

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I agree about it being personal preference. And we haven't even seen the 5S yet.

5. RyansTitan05

RyansTitan05 Contributor
    Bronze

More memory, better camera, longer lasting battery! Yay! Lol

Sent using iCafe app

6. Richu75

Richu75 New Member

Don't forget the amazing new cpu/gpu . But seriously, what is you biggest problem with the iPhone?

For me, ios just works. And it keeps working no matter what i'm trying to do. Can't say the same for the Android phones i used to have.

7. RyansTitan05

RyansTitan05 Contributor
    Bronze

Honest opinion I have has Apple 3G, 3GS, 4, 4s, and 5 I'm just bored with it! That's my honest opinion!

That's all it comes down to is bored!

Any thoughts?

Sent using iCafe app

8. Richu75

Richu75 New Member

By all means. Go see if the grass is greener on the other side.

But i don't get being bored by a phone. It's a tool not a fashion statement.

9. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

And don't forget that all these aforementioned specs are just rumor; we won't know anything for certain until the keynote introduction.

10. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

11. firewire

firewire Member
    Silver

Why do you say this? The devices today are well performing machines. I remember a few years ago when Android was buggy and/or laggy but the growing pains are gone.

What exactly is the reason for your line of thinking?

12. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

13. firewire

firewire Member
    Silver

Just an honest question. I don't hate the iPhone, though they could incorporate something like BiteSMS into the native app (I hated not having pop up quick reply and needing to jailbreak for it.) I just hate the size of the phone. The screen feels so small to me that it's like someone is playing a practical joke on me, as if I can do anything productive on a 5.5 or 6 square inch screen.

14. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

My reply probably came across awkwardly. It wasn't directed specifically at you. I just don't want another thread degenerating into another vitriolic iPhone/Android debate. It hasn't, but I worry about it. It's fine to point out the advantages and disadvantages of each platform.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That's misleading. Android doesn't have BiteSMS features (in-app texting) in their native text messaging app, either. You have to install a third party app or use a custom ROM if you want that on Android. You don't have to root if you go with a third party app, but I've heard about various problems with texting that these apps sometimes cause. Incorporating this festure into the stock messaging app is the way to go since it will be the most stable and problem-free, and the bottom line is that neither platform has done this yet.

Some of us prefer the one-handed usage and pocketability that the currently-sized iPhone allows, but I agree that Apple should have size options for those who prefer a bigger screen.

16. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

Did you end up deciding on which device to upgrade to?

17. firewire

firewire Member
    Silver

This is true, it's not native. But with SMS Popup from Google Play it took me 30 seconds to solve the issue. With the iPhone I had to wait for a jailbreak. It was little things like that that would bother me about Apple and the iPhone when I had it.

I also agree that there should be size options. I think this 5C path they're taking is a dud. There are already cheap iPhones out there: they're called the iPhone 4 and 4s.

18. firewire

firewire Member
    Silver

Trust me I have zero brand loyalty :) . There will be no unreasonable perpetual hate from me toward any specific brand (aka, fanboyism.) I go with whatever I think is the best product at the time.

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I have plenty of little things and a few big things that bother me about Android. In the end it comes down to personal preference. You can't know until you test an Android for yourself. It wasn't for me, but I understand that the pros and cons weigh differently for everyone.

I think a 5B would have been a more profitable choice for Apple because there is a huge demand for a bigger screen and they could have just given the 4S away for free with contract. But it appears as though phasing out 30-pin connectors and offering a 4" screen in their free or close-to-free model was more important to them, at least right now.

20. Richu75

Richu75 New Member

Like Europa stated correctly, it all comes down to personal preference.
    iPhone ticks all my boxes, whereas Android does not. I have no use for a jailbreak, so an out of the box iPhone is just dandy for me.

Concerning Android, I find it to be an incoherent OS with lower quality apps (in general, there are some gems in the play store). Also it constantly crashes on me, much unlike the iPhone. To give you an example:

I've tested an Sony Xperia S and a HTC One X late last year. Not really top of the line, but good and decent performing phones (at least on paper). Both crashed on basic tasks like opening my mailbox or browsing the internet. Right out of the box! The app would just give up and crash. To my understanding this happens on almost all Android phones, and the respective owners have come to terms with relaunching apps as they crash. But for me it's unacceptable.

I've sent them back and got myself another iPhone.

To each it's own.. for me it's not Android.