Samsung's Galaxy S5 To Feature Fingerprint Scanner

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by chris, Feb 18, 2014.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Continuing the fine Samsung tradition of originality and groundbreaking mobile technology, the upcoming Samsung Galaxy S5 will feature a fingerprint sensor on the home button. It will allow you to register up to 8 fingerprints and the implementation allows it to be used for an assortment of functions including the unlocking of your device.

Please Samsung, tell me after a year, that the best you have to offer with the Galaxy S5 isn't a fingerprint sensor. Please tell me that your 'next big thing' isn't Apple's Touch ID.

Discuss.

2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

They say a larger 5.2" screen with sharper display. Also improved camera and battery. I have no idea who "they" are.

Sent from TapaTalk just because!

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

They are all-knowing about all-things. At what point does a sharper display show little in the way of returns for the end user. Do we need a 4K smartphone display?

4. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

Samsung wants to show the world they can do it also.

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

A fingerprint scanner?! Who woulda thunk?

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I can't wait for the celebrity-endorsed tweets saying stuff like "This gold Samsung with a fingerprint scanner is the best phone on the market!" not realizing Tweetbot for iOS tagged their tweet. :D

7. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Well, it's happened a few times already! :D

8. Miika

Miika New Member

well the Apple's Touch ID was taken from the motorola atrix 4g if i'm not mistaken. and this is not a news yet, the Galaxy S5 might come with a fingerprint sensor.. and i'm sure that it might come with other new things too.

9. firewire

firewire Member
    Silver

These are cheap shots against Samsung. The iPhone wasn't the first with a fingerprint scanner. It also wasn't the first to do gold, which I personally think is incredibly tacky, on any device.

I read the scanner is going to be swiped based which yields higher accuracy and security. Maybe Samsung took a page out of the Apple handbook and copied what someone else did "but did it better."

If the market dictates the need for print scanners, then every company that can will implement them. Just like the market demands larger screen sizes and Apple has and will oblige, twice. I thought the iPhone was going to stay at 3.5 inches?

10. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

The Pantech PG-6200 had a fingerprint scanner before the Atrix did. I'll have to disagree. I had an Atrix and the swipe method did NOT yield higher accuracy. You can only swipe top to bottom. The iPhone 5s FP scanner isn't restricted as far as the orientation of the phone. You can hold the the iPhone in any angle and still successfuly scan your fingerprint. Why do you think the Atrix 2 and Atrix HD no longer had that bobo fingerprint scanner? The HTC One Max has the fingerprint scanner in the rear right under the camera lens. That was a bad design because you will swipe your finger over the camera lens as well unless you always flip the phone over just to see where your finger is. You are also limited to swiping top to bottom.

11. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I almost forgot, if this is true, using the swipe method on the physical home button which will most likely be located at the bottom of the phone, will require two hands. The scanner has to capture from the bottom of your finger pad to the top. Try attempting doing that using one hand without holding the device in a very awkward position. Once again, Samsung does not think things thoroughly before implementing a new feature. I don't hate Samsung because I own several of their mobile devices but user experience is not executed very well.

12. firewire

firewire Member
    Silver

Maybe we should actually see the product, the feature and it's method of implementation before we condemn it based on a rumor?

13. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

i agree with you what the hell was Apple thinking when they put the "swipe to unlock" slider at the bottom of the phone. theirs now way you can do that with just 1 hand. of course im being sarcastic but if you didn't seem to have a problem when Apple did the swipe from the bottom why do you know have a problem with it? sounds bias to me. things that make you go hummm

btw here's what the fingerscanner will look like
    http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/Samsung-galaxy-s5-pictured-before-launch-specs-fingerprint-scanner-confirmed-487535?site=classic

14. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

After reading the comments on the article, people aren't too happy with the design of the S5.

The swipe to unlock (from left to right) on the iPhone is a more natural motion. Besides, I haven't had to swipe to unlock since it unlocks as soon as I press the home button. Wake, scan and unlock all in one motion. If you have a Galaxy phone, go ahead and try to swipe your thumb/finger on the home button. Hold the device like you naturally would when navigating the device. Make sure you swipe starting from the bottom of the thumb pad to the top of the thumb pad. If it's similar to the Atrix design, you cannot swipe your thumb in an angle. The motion has to be exactly straight downward. I'm not biased. It's just simply a bad design.

#14 ZR_Yancy, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  15. firewire

firewire Member
    Silver

The phone is hideous. Just hideous. What a disappointment. Even tech wise it's not much better. What were they thinking? They better not destroy the Note 4 with an absolutely horrible design.

I want Apple to come out and wow everyone. And I want them to release a phablet. Samsung needs to feel the fire again to get them out of this complacent behavior. They must have the worst design team ever. I've seen knockoff phones look better.

16. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I know the software may not be optimized yet but I see some lag. Especially when he attempted to take a photo. Is that a true tone flash on the S5?!

17. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

Too bad the actual S5 is not nearly as nice as some of the renders we saw a while back. This thing is a letdown. Hey Samsung, thanks for eliminating any temptation for me to try Android again!

18. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I actually don't mind the design of the S5.

19. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

It bores me. I was never in love with the Galaxy S design and I was anticipating something with more graceful lines. For me, temptation factor = 0.

20. Babyt

Babyt Zealot
    Gold

I'll be skipping this generation of the galaxy s. I may go with note 4 or another similar sized phone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk