Saturn at best viewing

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
I went on an astronomy class field trip back in the late 90's. It was a Community College class, but the profesor was affiliated with the state university. It wasn't anything extravagant, just the side of a hill outside Austin that UT had access too. Some hardcore amateurs were out with their computer driven geo synchronous scopes. I got to see a few really neat objects, including Jupiter and its discernable spot, but Saturn was easily the most impressive to me. Once I got the perfect focus on it the rings presented themselves so clearly! It was one of those jaw dropping moments, much like seeing a favorite artist preform live for the first time. I looked around at everyone like "OMG, have you seen this?" They just smiled and nodded. "This is what we do." They were generous with their scopes and let me choose a couple objects to point at. Nothing was as cool as Saturn though, probably because it was so tangible and identifiable.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
When I was in junior high school, my father bought me a small refractor. We took it to the back yard and he set it up. He found Saturn and was just captivated by it - for a long time. I thought I was going to graduate from high school before I got to the eyepiece. :)

My father was a great guy.

IMG_0164.JPG