Save battery, for those who are not getting enough

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
So I found that you can close the applications whenever you want to do so with the iPhone. The applications (Safari, iPod, Mail, etc.) Do NOT close when you press the home button which causes the battery to run out way faster what it would norally do.

So what you do is, when you are not going to be using an application for some time, you should "force quit it" so it doesn't use that much battery energy. The way you do this is, WHILE in the application press the home button for abour 5 seconds, it will go to the home screen and it will close the application too.

Sorry if this is old news or known already. Hope it helps some people. It worked for me:laugh2:

JP

Jun 7, 2007
Queens, NY
So I found that you can close the applications whenever you want to do so with the iPhone. The applications (Safari, iPod, Mail, etc.) Do NOT close when you press the home button which causes the battery to run out way faster what it would norally do.

So what you do is, when you are not going to be using an application for some time, you should "force quit it" so it doesn't use that much battery energy. The way you do this is, WHILE in the application press the home button for abour 5 seconds, it will go to the home screen and it will close the application too.

Sorry if this is old news or known already. Hope it helps some people. It worked for me:laugh2:

JP

how do you know this.? where did u get this intel from?

veedubcos

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
yes I would like to know this as well... I just tried it in iPod and reopened it and the song that was playing preivously was still pulled up at the same place in the song...i call BS

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
yes i can confirm that this DOES work
i went into notes typed somthin then pressed home then re opend notes and the stuff i typed was still there. then i went to notes again typed sothing then held the home button for about 8seconds (until it closes the app) and then re opened it and what i typed had gone away so this indeed does work. great little tip!

yep and it works for the ipod portion because i was lietnin to music and i held home for 8 seconds and it shut off the music

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
Well, call it whatever you want. You have to hold the home button until it goes home, did you do that? If you try it in Safari you'll see that when you reopen it loads the page again. Don't say "I call BS" when you are not doing it right and you don't know if is true or not... Jeezzz

veedubcos

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
yes i can confirm that this DOES work
i went into notes typed somthin then pressed home then re opend notes and the stuff i typed was still there. then i went to notes again typed sothing then held the home button for about 6-7 seconds (until it closes the app) and then re opened it and what i typed had gone away so this indeed does work. great little tip!
so does the phone return to the home screen while holding the button or when you let go?

kbhark

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Not sure if it works for iPod but definatley for apps like safari, mail, weather, and maps. You can test it out by opening safari, loading a website, then closing it by pressing the home button for about 5 seconds. When you reopen safari it will load the page from the start where as if you don't completely close the app, the page will appear without loading. I have definatley saved battery by using this tip.

HarleyS

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
Sarasota Florida

JP
Well I tried this (holding home until it went to the home screen the letting go). When I re opened ipod and safari they were still on the last page or artist that I left it on. Does that matter? I have been wondering if these apps were closing when you went home. I will continue to try this to see if my battery life is any different even though these apps are still up when i reopen.

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
Well I tried this (holding home until it went to the home screen the letting go). When I re opened ipod and safari they were still on the last page or artist that I left it on. Does that matter? I have been wondering if these apps were closing when you went home. I will continue to try this to see if my battery life is any different even though these apps are still up when i reopen.
If you did it right, Safari should have reloaded the same page you were watching, wheras if you didn't do it right, it would just open Safari on the same page but already loaded.... Did it reload it?

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
im pretty sure just the one your in lemme test it right now gimme a sec
oh yeah it does because before when i was doing it to other apps it didn't pause my music until i did it to the actual ipod app. so there you go

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Ok, nice tip here.

I didn't know this, at all.....
I'll give it a shot today. :)

EDIT: I'm assuming this includes all the other apps, like widgets and stuff?
(Notes, weather, maps, etc..)

This is kinda a pain in the butt...lol
I guess if I know I can't get a charge for a while, it would be a good idea to use this method, though... ;)

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Ok, nice tip here.

I didn't know this, at all.....
I'll give it a shot today. :)

EDIT: I'm assuming this includes all the other apps, like widgets and stuff?
(Notes, weather, maps, etc..)

This is kinda a pain in the butt...lol
I guess if I know I can't get a charge for a while, it would be a good idea to use this method, though... ;)
Yup! It works for them all.