Save music other than from iTunes onto the iPhone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

dyzfnctional

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Sorry if this was discussed.... are we only able to save music other than from iTunes onto the iPhone? Please advise.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

Grotius

Jul 1, 2007
Which is better?

What format offers the best ratio of compression to quality? I had thought it might be MP3, but when I import a CD into iTunes using its default MP3 compressor, the files are at least as big as Apple's AAC files, and I can't hear any difference in quality. Is it best just to go with AAC?

Also, I'm surprised how big the files all are. AAC and MP3 both import at about 1M/minute. Is that what I should expect? I know the iPhone has limited space, so a more aggressive compression option would be nice.

EDIT: I see iTunes lets me adjust the AAC (or MP3) compression by adjusting the bitrate downward. I'm trying 64 now and it sounds fine to my (admittedly clueless) ear. How low does one go to fit lots of music on something like an iPhone?

dyzfnctional

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
ok so i was able to synce from library to my iPhone... i couldnt just drag n drop into the iPhone music folder...? are you guys able to do that?

now that i sync'd a song over to iPhone, i am not able to delete it.
please advice what im doing incorrectly. thanks in advance

ps2gamer02

Jun 27, 2007
ok so i was able to synce from library to my iPhone... i couldnt just drag n drop into the iPhone music folder...? are you guys able to do that?

now that i sync'd a song over to iPhone, i am not able to delete it.
please advice what im doing incorrectly. thanks in advance

The only way to delete a song is to uncheck it when your syncing the songs same for movies

ps2gamer02

Jun 27, 2007
ummm if u click songs under your library an delete the song from there u might be able to get it off it worked with a video i had. also make sure u have the sync music checked right above the song names

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
i cant uncheck or anything...the song is there but greyed out. what might i be doing wrong?
Think of iTunes as a copy of everything you want on the phone.

If it's in iTunes, it will be on the phone, when you sync.
If it's NOT in iTunes, when you sync, it will delete the file from the phone.

stuart9682

Bronze
May 29, 2007
lmfao, dyzfnctional- you are like that fictional character in training who doesn't know a damn thing... First you need to import the MP3 into iTunes (and properly, I might add) by going to File menu > Add File to Library. Choose the song to import and Click 'OK'

Then, connect your iPhone and choose to sync that song, either by placing it in an appropriate playlist or syncing ALL music to your iPhone. The music should then sync to the iPhone.

You can NOT delete the track from the iPhone, you have to remove the track from the iPhone by de-selecting the song in the iTunes library or removing it from the appropriate playlist and re-syncing.